Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Technical BBS > 1- Porsche Technical Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
craigerz

Porsche Crest rear noise/ bearing tool needed?

I have a noise comming from the rear of the car as it speeds up. Sounds like a humming/ growling/ bearings type noise as the car picks up speed. Its not in the transmission from what I can tell, push in the clutch/ gear selection makes no difference. C/V joints look ok. The car has 82,000 on it, an '82 930 ROW. I pulled off the rear rotors, theres a very, very slight rock in the hubs, but again, only slight. This is with the axle nut removed. They feel smooth enough on rotation. Do I need the special tool Pelican markets to pull the hub off? And to re-assemble w/ the new bearings? I know the 930 rear bearings are different. I also know the rear bearings fail on the turbo cars earlier and more often. Any info will be appreciated. Hey thanks, Craig
Old 11-07-2008, 08:41 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Blitzkrieg

My car started making the same noises, it sounded like it was coming from diff. when driving. It was a bad rear wheel bearing. I bought the Pelican tool, and in the process of replacing rear wheel bearings now. The tool does pull the hub axle with wheel studs out, and will install both inner and outer races with some mods to spacers. I have everything pulled so far and definately had a bad bearing, it fell apart and melted inner seal. If you can wait a couple weeks, I will sell you the tool kit with mods for a discounted price of new, and I could walk you thru process if needed, its really not that bad once you see everything and get your head around it. I am buying the final tool this weekend to pull bearing off axle, which is a bearing splitter puller. Neil the host helped me tremendously in the beginning. Feel free to email me with questions at jly535@comcast.net Jamie
Old 11-07-2008, 09:07 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: