Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > 1- Porsche Technical Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
"I wuz the liquor..."

Thumbs up RarlyL8 Motorsports - My Appreciation Thread (and other such nonsense)

*WARNING: This thread opener will be long and is long overdue. If you're interested in my shame, read on.

Um, hi everybody. Um, my name is Jeff, and I have an exhaust fetish. I, uh, golly this is embarrassing, I like to play with them. I like to look at them. I like to listen to them. I'm not really sure how I got here. Suffice it to say, EVERY car that I've ever owned - new/old, nice/sh&tty, fast/slow - I've always managed to "undo" what highly skilled engineers designed for my car, in the way of a "factory" exhaust system. Always that little voice would nag me. I tried to resist these evil urges, but the voice would say things like:

Quote:
"Go ahead, do it."...
"Pull it off"...
"Take it off, Jeff"...
"You don't need that"...
"Look at it, Jeff, JUST LOOK AT IT, it's heavy and restrictive and hideous"...
"It's too quiet"...
"Go ahead, Jeff, touch the pipes. Feels good, doesn't it? Yeah, go ahead mess around, it'll be our little secret. Get your tools, Jeff...no, the other tools"
"Yeah, that's it..uh huh, oh yeah, wow that's good, mmmmm, oh, that's much better"
And so my downward spiral deepened. Finally, destiny brought me to my next victim...Porsh 930.

This time things would be different. I'd get that monkey off my back and kick this habit. I'd be normal. This time, my car came with B&B headers and a B&B muffler. This time the work was done. I could just enjoy the car. No more exhaust toiling for me. And things were fine...for a little while. Then the levy broke.

That B&B muffler began to look mighty big and heavy. Why...why did it have to be so big? And the voice was back! Our first conversation went something like this:

Quote:
"Hello Jeff, been a long time. Miss me? You remember those turbo powered race cars from the '70s and '80s that you used to watch at Sebring and Daytona when you were a kid? Yeah, they ran these little elbow shaped pipes called Zork tubes, right off the turbo. That's all you need"
A search revealed that the voice was right and that (at the time) Fabspeed made just such a thing. It didn't take long for the B&B suitcase sized muffler to find it's way to the Island of Misfit Porsche Parts. The zork was on. MMMMM, zork. Boy did I love to polish my zork. What a sound. What a team we were. Me and my zork. ZORK! Scaring children and woodland creatures...we knew no boundaries. We were loners...rebels! "LOUD PIPES SAVE LIVES", I'd yell, as we blazed past another Type-R, V-tech powered thingy with Nawz and a pipe big enough to make Mandingo blush!

But as is so often the case, the zork was too much of a good thing. I was hated by neighbors. Co-workers despised the way I tripped their car alarms as I idled past in the parking garage. Police began to take notice. And I noticed something else: EVERYONE was staring at me!!!!! Men in their mini-vans would nudge their wives and say, "look at that douche in the loud Porsh...what an azz! Who does he think he is, Peter Gregg?" "Hey Hans Stuck, your car sounds like a broken tractor", they'd yell at me as their kids quietly watched "Finding Nemo", in the back seat.

And so began the worst exhaust binge I'd ever experience. Like Jack the Ripper terrorizing the whores of London, I went through a harem of exhausts. All I wanted was a zork with a small muffler. You know, just to take the edge off. THAT'S ALL I WANTED! Once you've had a taste of zork you can never go back. I'm so ashamed. The following products found their way on and off my car in short order:
-B&B single that came with my car: don't call me, I'll call you
-Fabspeed single: nice but no cigar
-Monty: hhhmmm not bad
-Original Factory muffler: no soup for you, Hanz and Franz
-Custom Borla: meh...BORING

What was I gonna do? My wife and kids were getting suspicious. "What is dad doing out there?"..."Honey, you coming to bed?"..."Honey it's thanksgiving, can you come in from the garage and carve the turkey?"..."Hey dad, since you've been awake all night in the garage, did you see Santa?"

Something had to happen and quick. I was beginning to fit the profile of a tweaker trying to hide a meth addiction!
"Ladies and Gentlemen, from Boston Massachusetts, we are Morphine, at your service..." - Mark Sandman (RIP)
Old 11-08-2008, 03:51 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
"I wuz the liquor..."

Chapter 2

...and so I began to design my own. I book-marked websites that supplied smallish mufflers, stainless pipe, and flanges. I began to take measurements and think about fitment. I even began to seek a capable shop to handle the welding.

THEN IT HAPPENED!!!!!! Like the dove who brought the olive branch to Noah, as proof that the flood was over...IT HAPPENED!

Enter RarlyL8: the exhaust Messiah...my prayers had finally been answered. Uncle Brian felt my pain and healed me with his clever products.

The first attempt was a prototype of his passenger side exit with a 965 style driver side wastegate dump pipe...both tips were matching. The muffler only had a small amount of packing in it and sounded wonderful. Not edgy at all, and louder than the Borla I was running. Still smooth sounding, though. The wastegate pipe, because of it's funnel shape, made the most amazing sound. Almost like a locomotive! I could have stopped here, but because of my El Cheapo OBX Wal-Mart headers, the fitment of Rarly's parts was not compatable. This was the first version and there was no adjustability...I'd have to cut it up to make it fit perfectly.

Brian was with me every step of the way and in the end agreed to supply me with an entirely new system...version two, which now offered slip joints to allow some adjustability! In addition, he agreed to make me a custom muffler with zero packing. A sound chamber of sortsl!!! Now we were even closer. The sound was even better...SUPERB! Much more edgy. The whistling was incredible, the popping, burbling, buzzing, and gurgling were all there, just toned down ever so slightly! This was the sound! The holy grail I'd been after! However, even with the latest adjustability, I still couldn't get my pipes to line up just right. Curse you kung fu welding masters from OBX!!!!! We were sooo close, but I could not find a shop willing to modify Brian's parts, because they were too pretty to butcher, and no shop wanted to take responsibility!

Again, Brian was there to support me. Because his muffler contained a slip joint on the exit side, I was able to purchase the 934 style zork pipe, which attaches to the muffler end, and loops back to the center of the bumper. Brian also agreed to exchange (full credit) my 965 style wastegate pipe for the center exit 934 style. Even though I did not change the muffler, the sound changed! It has much more bass to it, and has improved even further. Currently both pipes line up perfectly, but are both offset about 2" towards the drivers side...much like the "real" 934. I may decide to keep it like this, but Brian indicated that he would supply me with the parts required to center both pipes perfectly. I'm happy enough for now.

A few more words about Rarly's products: they are beautifully finished, masterfully welded (by M&K), lovingly polished (if you so desire), and come carefully packaged! His parts are light weight and made from the finest materials. Brian's prices are beyond fair. His customer service is THE BEST...PERIOD! He communicates every step of the way and even offers fair rates on the shipping. WOW, what a concept, an honest seller who takes pride...BRILLIANT!

I also want to point out that many of the fitment issues were due to inconsistencies with my OBX headers and mostly involved the wastegate side. Going forward, I'm not sure how Brian will deal with this, but I'm sure it's in the works.

As for me, I've been able to step off the exhaust marry-go-round thanks to RarlyL8. Now I can pursue a healthier addiction like internet pron!

Pics of current system:

Pics of Version 2.0:

"Ladies and Gentlemen, from Boston Massachusetts, we are Morphine, at your service..." - Mark Sandman (RIP)
Old 11-08-2008, 03:52 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Nice write up, Jeff! I think most of us have been there: waking up at night thinking about what needs to be done; saying for the 3rd (and usually final time) "Just one more thing and I'll be able to come in the house;" casually dropping to one knee to look up a fender skirt in the parking lot.

I'm glad Brian has been able to help you back to the land of near sanity. He IS a great guy.
58 DKW Universal - Baby Crap Yellow/Beige (sold)
Old 11-08-2008, 04:07 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Garage
friggin hilarious write up. There really is nothing better than the sound these machines make, part of the whole experience.

Now, if we could just get both u and Brian to come to the mountain run in Dec, you could thank him in person

C'mon, listen to that little voice "Do the dragon run Sunday Jeff! C'mon, you know you want to!"
1965 Karman Ghia-Class winner 2007 Carrera Panamericana/Ducati 900ss/GhezziBrian STW
D-Zug Produkte/D-Zug.com
Old 11-08-2008, 04:57 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Wow, you are addicted!

I like the way the rear bumper pads were removed. Your 930 backside is looking sharp.
Old 11-08-2008, 05:36 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Garage
Thumbs up

sand_man: I get the feeling that you didn't cut too many classes at school or you're a born writer/comedian.

Ditto on RarlyL8. Brian is old-America "capitalism" (NOT a dirty word!). He provides excellent service on superb products.
Old 11-08-2008, 06:00 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Jeff, you are Hilarious!

Thanks for sharing, glad to hear you've found what you like

I've only experienced one of Brain's mufflers on Miguell's car and it was fantastic! I'll cetainly be steering my guys in his direction as their Borlas, B&B's, and fabspeed junk slowly disintigrate!!!
Old 11-08-2008, 06:08 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

One question... Is it safe to say your exhaust is finally complete, or will it change again in a couple months? By the looks of the photo's, I do have to say, it looks pretty much done. Seriously doubt it gets any better than that!
06 Dodge Ram 2500 Power Wagon: Tow Vehicle
Old 11-08-2008, 06:09 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)
Cynical Misanthrope

Send a message via Yahoo to AFM744
Jeff I read half your story to my wife while I LOL'd! I (we) can relate! Thanks for sharing, you're in good company.
Old 11-08-2008, 07:03 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Very nice write up Jeff. You are natural at writing. Great tribute to great products and the great man behind his products. Bravo for sharing!
Old 11-08-2008, 07:35 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)
Blackbird Pilot

+1,000,000 for Brian...and SandMan's write up I get a kick out of every post.

Brian, although never making any money off of me has still provided tons of help and guidance as to what would do me best for the car etc. Stand up guy and stand up products.
Old 11-08-2008, 07:51 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)
Crotchety Old Bastard

Garage
You did provide about every fitment challenge there is Jeff, ha!

I do it because I love it. Period. My challenge is to go full time and keep the service level the same while supporting a family. All in a crappy economy. Not a great mix. We'll work on that ...

No, Jeff is not finished unless he likes the offset pipes. They should be ~1.5" to the right as designed.

Old 11-08-2008, 01:13 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Hay Jeff, we own maybe identical 930’s…ha! (Why does Brian end stuff with HA?)
Seriously, his stuff is awesome as I own some and friends own his stuff…no complaints!

Here is the bizness end of my 930, ask Chuck Jones...he listened to it crackle for > 1 hour last summer

Old 11-08-2008, 08:54 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)
"I wuz the liquor..."

Thanks for taking the time to listen (read) guys!!! I think what prompted all of this, is that Brian COULD have told me to pound the pavement, yet he hung in there to try and accomodate my current headers, which are obviously outside the scope of his jigs!
Old 11-09-2008, 03:55 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)
"I wuz the liquor..."

BTW, AngM018 is now in possesion of my "original" Fabspeed zork. So we'll see how he handles its spell! The RarlyL8 zork deffinitley looks the part, more than the Fabspeed version...

Last edited by sand_man; 11-09-2008 at 05:41 AM..
Old 11-09-2008, 03:57 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sand_man View Post
Thanks for taking the time to listen (read) guys!!! I think what prompted all of this, is that Brian COULD have told me to pound the pavement, yet he hung in there to try and accomodate my current headers, which are obviously outside the scope of his jigs!
Cool reading but just had to post as I teach this in class "jigs" is not PC but rather "fixture" should be used.. I know kind of silly but you know what they say about teachers? well I really don't know what they say

Current project 73 914-6 Gt project rusteration 2.4
Reproduction 914-6 oil tanks, 1-5/8" 914-6 heat exchangers source call 2623647426 or email mbconsulting21 @gmail.com
Old 11-09-2008, 04:02 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)
Crotchety Old Bastard

Garage
The zorks are very short pipe length of course and have been put on dozens of cars. Every zork is identical yet the fitment of each individual 930 is slightly different. The exaggeration that results from lenghty tailpipes lead to multiple slip joints for a custom fit.

Ben has the fixtures as he does the manufacturing of my designes. I assemble every unit on my car to verify fitment before shipping. Of course this is fitment to my car, which can be assumed a bit off as all others. So the trick is to design in enough adjustability for everyone. The systems were also designed around the stock heat exchangers and stock bumpers, so any deviation from that is a new adventure.
Old 11-09-2008, 04:31 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)
"I wuz the liquor..."

Quote:
Originally Posted by mb911 View Post
Cool reading but just had to post as I teach this in class "jigs" is not PC but rather "fixture" should be used.. I know kind of silly but you know what they say about teachers? well I really don't know what they say
Yes, fixture! That's actually the word I was trying to come up with!
Old 11-09-2008, 05:42 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)
Registered Driver

Garage
+1 on the Rarly love.

I just installed my Rarly muffler and Tial wastegate with a Rarly WG dump pipe.

I was thought I was addicted before but now I constantly find that I can't wait go for a drive just to hear the sound.

The dump sounds a bit like a jet engine and takes a bit to get used to but overall the sound bellowing from my exhaust is very intoxicating (not for the neighbours tho).

Now I just need the Ben/Rarly SSI system and I will never get out of the car.

P.S. Also a big thanks to Rarly for his contributions to this forum. His knowledge has been a huge help to me and I am sure many others. So thankyou.

Now if I can just work out my WUR thingamejig problems I will be happy.....
Old 11-09-2008, 06:09 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to Chuck Jones
Great authorship Sandman....and subject matter dear to my heart. I too can and will vouch for the professionalism and expertise/craftsmanship of RarlyL8 and the M and K efforts that produce some outstanding and really awesome products.

Cl8ton's zork is indeed something akin to a chain gun...I was behind him all the way down the Priest's Grade road...a good 6-7% downgrade for over five miles....it was like being under seige. I kept looking for my Kevlar vest.

Brian was instrumental in putting together my exhaust system that was really a potpourrie of parts I had purchased over time....but he designed the Y pipe that Ben welded up and it fit like a glove....the car runs better than ever with the SSI system in it. Ben's welds are works of art....I've had welders look at the TIG welds and wonder how he got the welds so tight and even. I also have Brian's wastegate downpipe that really lights up the sound when you get on it to pass.

Here's a quick shot of how it all came together....Brian even threw in a few extra parts for me as a favor because I couldn't find the part, and Ben sent some extra copper nuts and the 8mm allen exhaust nuts when I lost them.....just great folks and a great product. They take the time to talk to you if you're having issues....and work with you to come up with solutions. You might also be surprised at how the costs stack up against some of the competition.

Last edited by Chuck Jones; 11-09-2008 at 08:06 PM..
Old 11-09-2008, 08:03 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #20 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: