Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Technical BBS > 1- Porsche Technical Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Craigslist 930

Check out this 930 guys and tell me what you think.

http://philadelphia.craigslist.org/cto/886096459.html

Am I wrong for thinking that a 930 with a blown motor is not worth anything close to 20k? I offered the guy 13 and I was told that he wasn't going to sell it that low. I could have went on eBay a few days ago and bought a RUNNING car with 50k miles for 20k.

Any opinions?
Old 11-10-2008, 07:44 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Location: Reno NV, Bay Area during most weeks,, Kids still in NH
Send a message via AIM to 9dreizig
You could throw 10 K at a rebuild and you'd still have a car with alot of mods that no way is worth 30K.. IMHO... 13K on the other hand is a good deal..
My concerns would be that with the 1.0 Bar spring and other mods,, how bad did he blow the engine ? What else is smoked/damaged?
91 Spec Miata (yeah I race a chick car)
"life"ll kill ya" Warren Zevon
Old 11-10-2008, 08:12 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Unless it is loaded with rare options and only has 5k miles he is out of his gourd. I think you offer was more than fair. Want me to offer him 12k so you look like the hero?
Old 11-10-2008, 08:13 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

That guy should have taken your offer!

He's just not in touch with reality at the moment..
RGruppe #180
So many cars..so little time!!
Old 11-10-2008, 08:27 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by onboost View Post
That guy should have taken your offer!

He's just not in touch with reality at the moment..
And by the same token you should let this car go and move on.

I would wait until we have a slow retail christmas and then start looking at cars again, personally. You are going to find some deals.
Old 11-10-2008, 08:46 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

If you look at his list of Mods it looks to me like they are mostly cosmetic and he is trying to recoup the cost of those. I agree with DDDD, we have definitely not seen the bottom of this market and there will be more good deals out there!
I think he is working on the idea that there is an A$$ for every seat. So he is fishing to find that person.
Old 11-10-2008, 08:58 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Now Available for Ordering:   101 Projects For Your BMW 3 Series 1982-2000  [more info]

Quote:
Originally Posted by DDDD View Post
And by the same token you should let this car go and move on.

I would wait until we have a slow retail christmas and then start looking at cars again, personally. You are going to find some deals.
Yea I'm definitely not pressed. I've come to the understanding that some 930 owners think that because it's a "vintage" turbo Porsche that they can name their own price.

The guy is selling it for his boss. I asked the guy how badly was it blown. Was it just one cylinder/head, was the crank or case damaged and I got no answer on that question. So for all I know the engine could be COMPLETELY trashed instead of just "trashed" lol. I don't mind doing the work because I plan on doing a monster rebuild anyway. If the price is right I can take almost anything but his price is just way out there.

edit:

I raised my offer to 14k just to see what would happen.. here is the response i got.

"Yeah I’ll let you know, but I doubt it. There are a couple offers that already higher than what you have offered. With all of the upgrades, this car is worth a lot more than 14k, and people that know the car understand that. There is actually a guy from Europe that is looking at the car and would have it shipped over to him. Thanks for the interest "

I laughed a little bit when I read that. Apparently you guys don't "know" Porsche's

Last edited by osiris2600; 11-10-2008 at 10:01 AM..
Old 11-10-2008, 09:55 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

This seems like a better deal in that price range.

1980 930 $23K Canada
Old 11-10-2008, 12:30 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Location: Reno NV, Bay Area during most weeks,, Kids still in NH
Send a message via AIM to 9dreizig
Actually that red car looks like a good deal!!! Is that a G-50 on it ?? if so you might have a great deal there! Its an 80 which means grey market but no problem as long as you understand that and are good with it..
91 Spec Miata (yeah I race a chick car)
"life"ll kill ya" Warren Zevon
Old 11-10-2008, 12:42 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)
Driver

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by osiris2600 View Post

"Yeah I’ll let you know, but I doubt it. There are a couple offers that already higher than what you have offered. With all of the upgrades, this car is worth a lot more than 14k, and people that know the car understand that. There is actually a guy from Europe that is looking at the car and would have it shipped over to him. Thanks for the interest "
Just wish him the best of luck and move on. If the guy can get way more than $14K for the car, then he should sell it to European dude, instead.

The way to figure it is: if the car was running, how much would it be worth? Then subtract the cost of the rebuild. How much will the rebuild cost? $8K? $10K? $25K? That's the ballpark value of the car, as it sits today. Obviously, with the lack of information the seller's giving you (or not giving you, as the case may be), you'd be silly to offer much more than $13 or $14K.

With the way the economy's going, you've got time on your side. The seller probably doesn't have that luxury.

Last edited by Noah930; 11-10-2008 at 12:48 PM..
Old 11-10-2008, 12:46 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

I'd like to place a bet that this guy calls you back in a month to try to get you to buy it for something like 15K...and says the European buyer backed out etc etc etc. once he realizes that he hasnt caught thing on his fishing trip.
Old 11-10-2008, 01:00 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)
Tinkering Pays!!

Garage
From a guy who just bought a 930 that needed a lot of work, my advice would be the following:

1. We're in a recession, so it's a buyer's market - - You may be able to pick this thing up for 75 cents on the dollar...
2. Whatever great deal you get on this car up front will not prepare you for the subsequent bills to rebuild it to your liking!! Be prepared to DOUBLE [OR TRIPLE] whatever you thought it would take to get the car fully sorted...
3. Whatever gain you got from #1 will be FULLY ERASED by #2... ** Therefore, you will end up spending $1.25 on the dollar!! Plus, you will be without your car for a long time while the work is ongoing...
4. Sooooooo - Purchase a RUNNING AND FULLY SORTED CAR from someone who has all of his maintaince records and is willing to sell it for today's market price... Which, could be a good deal - since we're in a recession...

Like my Dad always said: "PAY NOW - - OR, PAY MORE LATER!!"
Old 11-10-2008, 04:45 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)
OFF THE BOOST PIPE NOW...

Was the offer from Europe.....

Or Nigeria?
Old 11-10-2008, 05:21 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

It hurts seeing the price of are cars just dropping like rocks. Over at rennlist the 964 turbo guys are selling from 25k-35k for some nice daily driver cars. And the sad thing is the cars have not sold.
I would keep looking you may come across a nice 930 or 964 for 18-20k. I know someone from here just picked up a nice 930 EFI built car for 18k in TX.
Old 11-10-2008, 06:17 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by willtel View Post
This seems like a better deal in that price range.
1980 930 $23K Canada
Hold on there.This thing looks like a redo of a redo that started out as a daily driver. I live in WI and never buy from this area unless perfect original. This car is not that. The salt and lack of good service are tough on any car, especially a exotic. I think this car falls into the category of, if given for free, and have to pay to make a nice car out of it , say no thanks and PASS. Lots of nice ones out there to use and enjoy now in the $20s. This may not be true for long and unless you snag a good one now, for a initial cheap buy, you may end up having to put back together a junker, and with all the pain ( wasted time & money ) that goes with it.

Last edited by voitureltd; 11-11-2008 at 01:04 PM..
Old 11-10-2008, 06:18 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)

hanks for the advice guys. As I said before, I'm not a rush to get into a vehicle (especially at that price) but I thought it would be somewhat amusing to discuss it. I'll be curious to see what happens to this car. I'll send him an email in month and I'll bet he still has it.
Old 11-10-2008, 06:52 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by A930Rocket View Post
Was the offer from Europe.....

Or Nigeria?
Ha! bet he's sending a certified check for $30k and looking for the balance to be sent back to him too!
RGruppe #180
So many cars..so little time!!
Old 11-11-2008, 10:27 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)

I actually had that tried on me about 5 years age. A certified check from a local bank that had been drawn on their branch in Cincinati. It was a business account from a fellow in Africa with a elaborate story to go with it. The scam was new then and it came close to working. My Banker is still amazed they almost cleared it for payment into my account. Only after I insisted they wait a extra day ( it was the Martin Luther King holiday within the week wait for clearance that threw thier day count off ) did it become apparent that a scam was in progress. How ironic was that?
Old 11-11-2008, 01:16 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)

FWIW, I bought my 86 turbo in June for $20k. It has a fresh 3.4 with lots of goodies, but it was just a bit grungy.
14 535i M Sport
Old 11-11-2008, 02:45 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: