Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Technical BBS > 1- Porsche Technical Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Arrgh Matey!

Porsche Crest New 930 Owner, need to get started...thanks!

Hi Guys,
I made a post yesterday about the missing rear oil cooler and electrical plugs hanging around.
As for the suspension, see the passenger side wheel in the pics...it's measuring 2.25" in from the fender lip while the driver wheel is only .5" Any ideas what my damage could be here or could it just need a good ripping after years of sit. What's the best way to get this car started.... Should i check all compressions before trying???

THANKS!,
Mason

PASSENGER SIDE SUNK INTO THE WELL

HERE IS THE DRIVER SIDE LOOKS NORMAL

And here are the connectors dangling back there.... Any clue what they are?

And lastly,
This is the only rear fitting I see...So this goes to a cooler and then into the oil filler??? Or Am I missing a set of lines? Thanks guys!!!

Last edited by chesireIsugaree; 11-10-2008 at 05:38 PM.. Reason: oh
Old 11-10-2008, 04:32 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Garage
You may have a broken rear torsion bar on the drivers side. The single hose looks like one of the to the AC compressor that you have the bracket for but no compressor. It would help to know where the other end of the wires go..the two cut wires I look like mine from an after market security system.
congrats and good luck
Old 11-10-2008, 04:52 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Arrgh Matey!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 78P930 View Post
You may have a broken rear torsion bar on the drivers side. The single hose looks like one of the to the AC compressor that you have the bracket for but no compressor. It would help to know where the other end of the wires go..the two cut wires I look like mine from an after market security system.
congrats and good luck
DANG... broken stuff THANKS! ROCKET SLED ROCKET SLED!!!!!!!!! That's an AC LINE!? Where can I buy a torsion bar if it's busted or is it fixable....?
Old 11-10-2008, 05:03 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
OFF THE BOOST PIPE NOW...

It looks like some paint and body work have been done. Could it be that one or both flares were not installed correctly? What wheels do you have? Are the offsets the same? I'd get an alignment to see if there is any problem with the suspension. They might be able to tell you about the frame.

The one hose by the oil filter is an AC hose as mentioned. The wire near there is a right rear tailight wire I think.

Does the wire with the plastic terminal plug into the CDI ( the finned box on the bottom )?
Old 11-10-2008, 05:06 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

You can replace it, but NOT repair it. I would think about doing it in pairs as well look in the parts for sale here or DC Automotive (google it) in NC.

Quote:
Where can I buy a torsion bar if it's busted or is it fixable....?
Old 11-10-2008, 05:10 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
Arrgh Matey!

Quote:
Originally Posted by A930Rocket View Post

This is a 930 Vin starts with 930...
Does the wire with the plastic terminal plug into the CDI ( the finned box on the bottom )?
I'm not sure... will look. As for flares, these are factory flares- Vin starts with 930...
What is the nipple on the oil filler for? Is there supposed to be an oil cooler in the tail?
Old 11-10-2008, 05:12 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)
Arrgh Matey!

Quote:
You can replace it, but NOT repair it. I would think about doing it in pairs as well look in the parts for sale here or DC Automotive (google it) in NC.

What breaks it... a tow truck??
Old 11-10-2008, 05:12 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
sudo apt-get purge 930

The three prong plug goes to what used to be an external voltage regulator. Someone swapped it with a newer internal voltage regulator model.

"Worrying about depreciation on your car and keeping mileage down is like not ****ing your girlfriend so her next boyfriend finds her more appealing"
--clutch-monkey
Old 11-10-2008, 05:13 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)
Arrgh Matey!

Quote:
Originally Posted by equality72521 View Post
The three prong plug goes to what used to be an external voltage regulator. Someone swapped it with a newer internal voltage regulator model.
Cool, no worries then. Dc's site is excellent. I can't believe I hadn't seen it yet. I guess all that's left is the oil cooler ? And then try to crank it up...
Old 11-10-2008, 05:19 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

No. A scratch can lead to rust and that leads to a broken t-bar.

Quote:
What breaks it... a tow truck??

Last edited by A930Rocket; 11-10-2008 at 05:28 PM..
Old 11-10-2008, 05:20 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Has the body been worked on? One of the rear flares?

The nipple or fitting on the oil filler goes to the air cleaner IIRC.

No oil cooler in the tail. There is an AC condensor that goes there on the right side.

Quote:
What is the nipple on the oil filler for? Is there supposed to be an oil cooler on the tail?

Last edited by A930Rocket; 11-10-2008 at 05:30 PM..
Old 11-10-2008, 05:22 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)
sudo apt-get purge 930

Post more pics of both left and right side flares with the door lines in the pics. It appears that the flare on the passenger side is much wider than the driver side from the pics above.

"Worrying about depreciation on your car and keeping mileage down is like not ****ing your girlfriend so her next boyfriend finds her more appealing"
--clutch-monkey
Old 11-10-2008, 05:22 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

sudo apt-get purge 930

Someone has definitely shot the rear of the car based on the over spray on the cdi.

--clutch-monkey
Old 11-10-2008, 05:24 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)
sudo apt-get purge 930

Also, the wire near the oil filter connects to the AC that is no longer there. It operates the AC clutch. You should have another hose connected to the condenser in the tail.

--clutch-monkey
Old 11-10-2008, 05:27 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

Quick tip: buy the 911 Turbo manuals.
Old 11-10-2008, 05:32 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)
Arrgh Matey!

Mark,
on my 79 is this oil cooler back there? under the bumper? I'm missing #37 below... Air filter you say
Old 11-10-2008, 05:32 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)
Arrgh Matey!

Quote:
Originally Posted by equality72521 View Post
Someone has definitely shot the rear of the car based on the over spray on the cdi.
You right your right.... Maybe there is damage to the car, won't have a chance to work on it for a few weeks. Isn't that killer!?
Old 11-10-2008, 05:34 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)
Arrgh Matey!

Quote:
Quick tip: buy the 911 Turbo manuals.
Yeah whats up with homey in the UK? He's offline now?

Last edited by chesireIsugaree; 11-10-2008 at 05:39 PM..
Old 11-10-2008, 05:35 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)
sudo apt-get purge 930

37 is the breather hose from the oil tank (10) to the intake. The oil cooler is #8

--clutch-monkey
Old 11-10-2008, 05:38 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)
sudo apt-get purge 930

pm sent

--clutch-monkey
Old 11-10-2008, 05:40 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #20 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: