Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Wo ist die Rennstrecke?

The 3" hole was drilled with a Home Depot 3" hole saw. To widen, I placed 4"piece of silicone tube over the hole, traced it with a sharpie, and used my snapon high-speed reciprocating saw to cut the hole.

I use a 4" KN cone filter, so its easy to clean and re-oil.

Old 11-13-2008, 05:51 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #21 (permalink)
Cynical Misanthrope

Send a message via Yahoo to AFM744
(rummaging through my box of holesaws...)
Old 11-14-2008, 07:58 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #22 (permalink)
Doug Siegel

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonE View Post
I've actually tested this on an engine dyno when I was tuning the motor. I installed a KN filter directly to the turbo and did a full pull. I immediately installed the actual 4 inch AL tubing that would take air from inside the engine compartment (about 3 ft total length) and installed the KN filter to that. There was no difference whatsoever - time to spool, full power, torque and so on - between directly placing the air filter on the turbo vs running 3 ft of 4 inch plumbing.

Placing the air filter in the fender is a bit odd - right where water and all size dirt can directly contaminate (directly from the tire) the filter.

Here are some pics of my plumbing. The AL tubing was bought at a local muffler shop from their scrap bin. The whole thing cost around $100 with the silicone elbows representing the highest cost.

First, I want to thank Don for his inspired work. Great Idea!!!!!

Don has the GT2 tail thus gets plenty of fresh air in the engine compartment. I don't.

I considered naca ducts in the rear quarter windows plumbed to the engine compartment, but then had the potentially absurd idea...

Does it seem ridiculous to continue the plumbing into the cockpit? To put an air filter between the 2 "seats" near the rear windshield?

Or, since I removed all the a/c stuff, use the air from the decklid on the passenger side?
88' blk/blk 930: Haltech EFI, Twin Plug, Pauter Rods, Nascar Bearings, custom crank work, dowel pinned case, ported manifold and heads, Kokeln I/C, SC Cams, Turbonetics ball bearing 62-1, BB headers, RARLYL8 Zork, additional 993 oil filter, plx/inyourface gage, RS style coilover, Fikse FM10-17 wheels, TIAL 46mm 1 bar. (where the heck did all my money go?)
Old 04-20-2009, 02:01 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #23 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by AFM744 View Post
I'm going to try to duct my air filter up over the wheelwell either as high as I can or even over the wheel and to the front flare.
This is exactly what I am going to do.
I am going to use 4" neoprene, spiral reinforced tubing (same material as the orange heater hoses...) and just go to the front side of the flare. Then I figure I will make a little duct to feed air from underneath the car and a sealed rain shield. This way you keep most of the crap out of it and keep the rain away from it.
2008 C6/Z51 Corvette
Old 04-20-2009, 04:05 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #24 (permalink)

I ended up using DonE's through the fenderwell and into the engine compartment approach with a 3" pipe. Nice design. I had build a fenderwell louvered box and used it for a couple of years. It accumulated too much dirt on the filter.
58 DKW Universal - Baby Crap Yellow/Beige (sold)

Last edited by mppickett; 04-20-2009 at 04:24 PM..
Old 04-20-2009, 04:22 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #25 (permalink)

Here is the setup I have. It is all four inch. Wish I could say this was a quick project on the air cleaner setup!

Old 04-20-2009, 04:51 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #26 (permalink)

Doug Siegel

Good lord! That's perty. What's the 4" tube headed to the cockpit?
88' blk/blk 930: Haltech EFI, Twin Plug, Pauter Rods, Nascar Bearings, custom crank work, dowel pinned case, ported manifold and heads, Kokeln I/C, SC Cams, Turbonetics ball bearing 62-1, BB headers, RARLYL8 Zork, additional 993 oil filter, plx/inyourface gage, RS style coilover, Fikse FM10-17 wheels, TIAL 46mm 1 bar. (where the heck did all my money go?)
Old 04-20-2009, 05:18 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #27 (permalink)
E-85 sippin drunk

Strokher, thanks for the email with the pics.. I LOVE your setup... That is what I will be doing with my setup... a bit more work, but it utilizes the duct on the GT-2 tail perfectly... and nice cool, undisturbed air....
Brad...930 gt-1 racecar, increased displacement to 3.6L, JB racing Cylinders, JE 8 to1 pistons, stroked crank, Carrillo rods, extrudehoned 3.2L intake, full bay Bell I/C, GT-2 EVO cams, Rarly8 headers, GTX-3584RS turbo, twin plug, P&P heads, Link G4 EFi system, G-50/50 with LTD slip and oil squirters/oil cooler, zork tube, full race coilover system, with carbon fiber body, full cage, E-85 sippin drunk
Old 04-20-2009, 05:26 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #28 (permalink)
Wo ist die Rennstrecke?

Or how about this as a solution. Carbon fiber construction, air filter inside, intake opening is in front of the tire. As you can imagine, this piece fits into the fender well up and over the tire. Let me know if you want more pics.

Old 04-20-2009, 05:53 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #29 (permalink)
E-85 sippin drunk

Quote:
Or how about this as a solution. Carbon fiber construction, air filter inside, intake opening is in front of the tire. As you can imagine, this piece fits into the fender well up and over the tire. Let me know if you want more pics.

HOLY *****... where the he!! did you find that?? I DO want more pictures... need more... input...need more input!!!!
Brad...930 gt-1 racecar, increased displacement to 3.6L, JB racing Cylinders, JE 8 to1 pistons, stroked crank, Carrillo rods, extrudehoned 3.2L intake, full bay Bell I/C, GT-2 EVO cams, Rarly8 headers, GTX-3584RS turbo, twin plug, P&P heads, Link G4 EFi system, G-50/50 with LTD slip and oil squirters/oil cooler, zork tube, full race coilover system, with carbon fiber body, full cage, E-85 sippin drunk
Old 04-20-2009, 06:11 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #30 (permalink)

Damn Don, that $hit is tight! How much, where, when, how do I get one???
2008 C6/Z51 Corvette
Old 04-20-2009, 06:52 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #31 (permalink)

What is the pipe going into the cockpit? DOOM! You just need to calculate your air flow needs based off your hp goals. In my case I could not get an air cleaner to flow enough air. It would be MASSIVE! This is not a current picture, but you get an idea of what the system looks like. I will have everything polished soon, and in show condition

Old 04-20-2009, 06:57 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #32 (permalink)

Wo ist die Rennstrecke?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 930gt-40r View Post
Damn Don, that $hit is tight! How much, where, when, how do I get one???
Actually, its an interesting story. I've been working with Neil Harvey at Performance Developments on my CDI upgrade, during which he and I talked at length about customizing a distributor and other such things.

I also deal with the programers at LINK in NZ about features on their ECU, and they frequent this forum. Yesterday, they sent Neil an email stating this thread was back up and recommended Neil send me a pic of his EFI air intake he made a couple of years ago. He sent this to me today stating he made these up but didn't know anyone would want them. Call Neil or send him an email about them.

Here are a couple more pics:

Here is the intake seen from the other side

This shows the filter element removed

Old 04-20-2009, 07:15 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #33 (permalink)
A fellow Pelacanite

Garage
Awesome!
1981 UK 930. G50/01 shortened, 964 3.8RS Fibreglass Body Kit, 18" Alloys 8.5" F & 10" R, 225's F & 285's R, Special Colour Metallic Blue Paint, FIA Sparco Evo's, A/C and Air Pump removed, Electronic Boost Controller, GHL Headers, Tial46 WG.
Fitting - New service kit.
Needs Fitting - Innovate XD-16 Kit, Kokeln IC. Stephen's K27 HFS, EVO Intake Assy & his Modded USA Fuel Head.

1983 UK 911 3.2 Carrera Sport Coupe. Black, Black Leather with Red Piping, Black Alloy Gear Knob, K&N Air Filter Element, Turbo Tie rods.
Needs Fitting - K&N CO Sensor, Round A/F Dial Gauge, Factory Short Shift Kit.

http://www.danasoft.com/sig/Iamnotanumber.jpg
Old 04-21-2009, 01:17 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #34 (permalink)

Great looking solution! I really like the placement of the inlet in front of the rear wheel.
58 DKW Universal - Baby Crap Yellow/Beige (sold)
Old 04-21-2009, 02:43 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #35 (permalink)
E-85 sippin drunk

I will be starting a new post in reference to the Cf airbox from Neil Harvey....

Last edited by turbobrat930; 04-21-2009 at 05:54 PM..
Old 04-21-2009, 05:43 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #36 (permalink)
Wo ist die Rennstrecke?

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbobrat930 View Post
I will be starting a new post in reference to the Cf airbox from Neil Harvey....
Did you buy something?......
Old 04-21-2009, 06:23 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #37 (permalink)
E-85 sippin drunk

Quote:
Did you buy something?......

LOL...call me
Old 04-21-2009, 06:24 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #38 (permalink)

Hey Don! Do you know how much CFM that filter flows?
Old 04-21-2009, 07:19 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #39 (permalink)

here is what I ended up with

914-6 2.4s GT tribute.
914-6werkshop.com manufacturer of 914-6, GT, Conversion parts
Old 04-24-2009, 12:46 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #40 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: