Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Interesting "Anti-lag" Feature (Non-Porsche)

Sorry for posting something not featuring a Porsche, but I thought this was cool, and wanted to share w/ the gang.

Considering how much we talk about turbo lag, it's mildly related, huh?

http://jalopnik.com/5098871/manic-beattie-hill-climb-car-with-turbine+powered-turbocharger-18+second-0+to+60-ford-puma?autoplay=true
Old 12-01-2008, 06:19 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
After the next project

Garage
Mike

Very interesting video. I wish there was a way for us to keep pressure like that without putting a turbine engine in the car?

Also, a sequential gearbox would also be nice.

Bryan
Old 12-01-2008, 06:38 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Well, with EFI you coul do an antilag which retards the timing so you could do a "no-lift-shift" and works very well for drag racing. However Im not sure how our 4 speeds would like this...
2008 C6/Z51 Corvette
Old 12-01-2008, 11:44 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

LOL. I can tell you they don't like it worth a "F"!! I had a guy w/ a really fast slopnose that used to do that all the time. I think we built the gearbox 3 times, w/ new dog teeth, syncros and shiftsleeves each time... He didn't care, he just loved outrunning nearly everything in Huntsville... He had some huge Garret and everyother bolt-on plus a built engine w/ flamerings and Carrilos. It was laggy as hell, but dear god was it fast! One day I was driving it after routine service, without warning (no noise/vibration) a CV joint EXPLODED while I was getting on boost in 1st gear.

I kinda like the Jekly & Hyde persona of a 930 w/ turbo lag, ESPECIALLY w/ the 4 speeds. gotta love those long pulls w/ stock gearing and gobs of torque.

I don't think there is any practicality, in our case, to the turbine idea. Just a novel, genious idea I wanted everyone to see. Plus, it sounds cool!
Old 12-01-2008, 12:05 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Ill bet you had that guys box apart many times- I rebuilt mine a few times already and I ain't anti lagging it either. I agree about the turbo lag with 930s, it is part of their charactor- I got a PT-67 ball bearing turbo with a T-4 back housing and the car does lag, but pulls like a freight train up top.
2008 C6/Z51 Corvette
Old 12-01-2008, 12:58 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

The Autronic SM4 standalone EFI lists this as a feature. It also claimed to have traction control...another crutch that could be mildly fun if it didn't interfere too much.
1972 911T Targa now with a good 2.7
1990 Miata (cheap 'n easy)
1993 C1500 Silverado (parts getter)
Old 12-01-2008, 05:07 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Anti-lag and 2-steps are a blast- my old Galant VR-4 had both and I loved beating all 350 horses out of it. I think the Motecs and the Haltechs have them as well. I was tuning a DSM-Link equiped Eagle Talon and it has an anti-lag that keeps 20 PSI on a garrett 40R in between shifts.

Its all fun and games untill someone loses a synchro... hahaha
2008 C6/Z51 Corvette
Old 12-01-2008, 09:22 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: