Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Technical BBS > 1- Porsche Technical Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Crotchety Old Bastard

Garage
You'll never see these smiles or hear your daughter yell "boost it daddy!" in a Bimmer.

Old 12-03-2008, 06:28 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #21 (permalink)

Sandy Baby why why why (done in my best Olivia Newton John voice!),
Ok first of all you are 39! Old geezer! LOL had to do that jab

Ok secondly..you are such a child of the '80s..Do you need an E28 M5 to look cool and to play your Duran Duran and Tears for Fears cassettes while adjusting the reverb and equalizer? LOL had to do that jab

Ok thirdly..why the heck is the engine out of your 930 again?

Ok fourthly...what do you mean you buys cars to drive and not drool over...oh lawd...please help! Funny how "drool" and "drive" are five letter words, both beginning with "dr"...as in Doctor..we need help over here! LOL had to do that jab

Ok fifthly...that car is black...do people actually buy black cars? I thought black cars were like a friend with a boat, nice to have a friend that has one, but not own?

Ok sixthly (is "sixthly" a word?)...that cars needs Euro bumpers and some period correct Alpina \ Hartge front and rear spoilers *ONLY* and the Euro Alpina or Hartge full exhaust (no Yankee cats)

Ok seventhly (that is definitely NOT a word)..please stop punishing yourself looking at these misstresses on eBay during work.

Ok eithly...I want it too...but I'm saving up to buy a Countach!

LOL

Yasin
Old 12-03-2008, 07:14 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #22 (permalink)

For that much I'd look for a nice no rust 3.0 CS/CSI.
If you ever need a twin cam big six head it's really expensive, I think over 20 grand.
The sohc six's are strong and reliable, lots of used parts around and cheap to maintain.
Old 12-03-2008, 07:58 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #23 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by onboost View Post
Hey Sand_man..

Overall they're both pretty solid cars.. I can't say a whole lot negative about them except when they do begin to need stuff.. ouch! The cost is usually 2-3 times as much on an M-car as on it's standard counterpart. With over 125k miles, depeding upon who the owner is.. it may need guides.. with a tha DOHC motor it's not a cheap undertaking. They have a tendancy to somtimes shear crank pulley bolts, and or cam gears when the chain, sproket, wears or tensioner loses pressure. BMW bottom ends are pretty solid and you almost have to do something stupid or just totally neglect it to casue a failure.

- Water pumps tend to fail,
- Raditors if plastic have a tendancy to crack at the neck where the hose clamp was tightened, or just beyond that point.
- A/C like Porsche's system tends to be an aventure.. not quite as bad though. Once you chase down the issues and get'm squared away you've got good a/c.

Suspension:

- upper control arm bushings get weak and cause slop (replace with Poly and your done)
- have seen a few power steering boxes rip the mounting points off the frame, that's a fun repair
- also seen a few diff mounts ripped out
(keep in mind that some of these examples are from cars that have been flogged)
Uhhh, kinda like the way you would end up beating on it due to withdrawls from boost addiction.

No real electrical problems unless some Einstien did an ill stereo or alarm install (we've all seen that before).

More simply put, stay away from that big body M-stuff unless you've just got to have another sex toy..
If you're looking for more economy/depndable and a nice bimmer.. check around for a well maintained 528e or 525i manual.

If you want some pep.. p/u either an E28 or E34 535i 5spd. Nice cars & a lot of them available for sale. Most are high milers but still have a lot of life left in them. Many have had some suspension or performance mods and are fun to drive!

Another of my favorites is the 525i Touring.. that's the wagon. Decent looks and you can make them handle well. You ain't gonna win many races with it, a front spoiler and some wheels will sure make it look fast.

You might want to look at the 735 & 740s as well lotta car for the money 90-93 735,
94 740i or iL. The latter are V8s, more costly to run and repair.. but some good ones out there.

Notice I've only mentioned the older stuff.. that's becuase it's hard to beat a BMW inline 6 for a car that you can beat on and still rely on it to get you there.. even when it needs stuff.
Oh, and you can pick any of this stuff up for $5-7K and have a nice one.

Not a sermon, just a thought..

P-
I'm with onboost. I had an E34 M5 and it was a fantastic car! I also had an E28 5er and the E34 is much more modern and a better driver. The difference can be likened to 911 v. 964. However, The S38B35 is very much like a 911 motor as it does require regular valve adjustments and is costly to rebuild. The transmission can also be costly to rebuild with only a handful of trusted rebuilders.
14 535i M Sport
Old 12-03-2008, 08:22 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #24 (permalink)
Porsche-Poor

Garage
step away from the ledge Sandman, I almost sold my 930 to get a more "modern driver", finally came to my senses, now drive a Mr. Mom Volvo xc wagon, and while the Dad's at my kids school like to laugh at me in their M3's, etc. , I just sit back and laugh as they have no clue what is sitting in my garage. . .
1980 911 SC Weissach-regrettably sold
1975 911S-sold but not forgotten
Old 12-03-2008, 08:30 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #25 (permalink)
"I wuz the liquor..."

Case closed guys! I really appreciate it! Yasin's post (slow&rusty) had me in tears! "Duran Duran"...BWAHAHAHA! For the record, I was into hardcore punk and more obscure alternative '80s music...okay, maybe Duran Duran might have been a guilty pleasure! I must admit, all of that counting, Yasin, was beginning to sound like the Violent Femmes song, "Kiss Off"!

The engine is back out to fix a cracked clutch T/O fork, worn T/O guide tube, and install a KEP Stage One pressure plate. As soon as I began to disconnect everything for the engine drop, a little voice said, "you're getting too old for this shiz"! Oh well. It is what it is, and the 930 is a car that at the end of the day, I love dearly!

Since we own our cars (no leasing or financing), and the wife is dropping hints that she no longer wishes to drive an SUV and wants to be back in a sedan, I think I'll try to make a play to keep her Dodge Durango for myself and get her a used Honda Accord.
"Ladies and Gentlemen, from Boston Massachusetts, we are Morphine, at your service..." - Mark Sandman (RIP)

Last edited by sand_man; 12-04-2008 at 02:53 AM..
Old 12-04-2008, 02:16 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #26 (permalink)

Fixed it fer ya

Quote:
Originally Posted by sand_man View Post
I think I'll try to make a play to keep her Dodge Durango for myself and get her a used BMW E28 M5.
Went through this with my wife...she now drives a Mini Cooper S.
Not a 930, but fun as $hit to drive!
Old 12-04-2008, 03:09 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #27 (permalink)
"I wuz the liquor..."

Quote:
Originally Posted by cl8ton View Post
Fixed it fer ya

Went through this with my wife...she now drives a Mini Cooper S.
Not a 930, but fun as $hit to drive!
That is indeed the ultimate fix...however wifey is the Antichrist of "car people"...cars for her are appliances. Sometimes I'm envious of this view...my life sure would be easier, if I didn't get emotionally involved/attached with mechanical things! Not to mention, she can't drive a stick and has no desire to learn. She dated a Vanilla-Icer in high-school that yelled at her profusely when she struggled to drive his manual 5.0 'Stang...! I guess it left a bad impression...even though I'm a good teacher and have the patients.
"Ladies and Gentlemen, from Boston Massachusetts, we are Morphine, at your service..." - Mark Sandman (RIP)
Old 12-04-2008, 03:56 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #28 (permalink)

Totally agree with cl8ton, if that's an option, the MCS is the way to go. That's what I did and taking her to the Dragon this weekend.
Old 12-04-2008, 04:25 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #29 (permalink)

Whew!

That was close.. think we saved him!!

(slow&rusty): reverb? Haven't heard that in a while.. hmm, now that I think of it I'd love to get my hands on one of those!!

Rarly: Nice back seat harnesses! I'll have to show that to a buddy that keeps complaining about no rear seat restraints for Porsche. Where'd you get those?

Your wife sounds cool.. I like her type too. I once had a wifey that was a car-guy Antichrist.. She hid it for a couple of years, then she let it all hang out. "Your car this, another tour, can't we take a vacation that doesn't involve a car event" on and on!!
Ha! treated her azz just like a crappy car .. traded her in for a better one under the lemon law!

Glad you'll still be with us brother!

P-
RGruppe #180
So many cars..so little time!!
Old 12-04-2008, 07:06 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #30 (permalink)
"I wuz the liquor..."

Quote:

Your wife sounds cool.. I like her type too. I once had a wifey that was a car-guy Antichrist.. She hid it for a couple of years, then she let it all hang out. "Your car this, another tour, can't we take a vacation that doesn't involve a car event" on and on!!
Lucky for me, she's not that bad...we've been together for 17 years, so she gets that deep down I'm just a grease monkey!
Old 12-04-2008, 07:15 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #31 (permalink)
Crotchety Old Bastard

Garage
Those are retractable 5-point harnesses sourced from an F-something Jet Fighter.
Not an off the shelf item.
Old 12-04-2008, 08:30 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #32 (permalink)
Former Options Trader !!!

I always lust after a 328 M5 too. I owned an e30 M3 which I bought brand new at a ridiculous 27,500 when it stickered for 36,600. Braman in Palm Beach could not get rid of it. The car you posted has been on eBay for something like 6 months running, which should tell yaa what kind of deal it really is. I know of a 44k mile example offered at 25k which is a better buy IMO. They are just stunning cars IMO. That being said I can tell you that "M3" meant multiply by 3 when pricing parts. I went through brake rotors like they were necco candy wafers on the M3.
I recently picked up a 01 Audi A6 with manual and I thought about reaching for an e28 M5 but I could not bring myself to beat on it every day and drive it through the slop of the winter here. A nice 533 or 535 is a good choice too.
Old 12-04-2008, 11:44 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #33 (permalink)
Automotive Monomaniac

Garage
I'm a big BMW fan, and the E28 M5 has always been a favorite. I learned how to drive on my dad's '84 E28 533i 5-speed. It was a blast with only 180 hp!

- Mike
Old 12-04-2008, 12:07 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #34 (permalink)

Quote:
Whew!

That was close.. think we saved him!!

(slow&rusty): reverb? Haven't heard that in a while.. hmm, now that I think of it I'd love to get my hands on one of those!!

P-
Don't mess baby...I have some Beastie Boys cue'd up for you:

Yasin
Old 12-04-2008, 05:57 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #35 (permalink)
"I wuz the liquor..."

Quote:
Originally Posted by slow&rusty View Post
Don't mess baby...I have some Beastie Boys cue'd up for you:
My 11 year old just discovered my copy of Pau's Boutique! He's on a big Beastie kick now!

Last edited by sand_man; 12-05-2008 at 04:59 AM..
Old 12-04-2008, 06:08 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #36 (permalink)

Yasin...

Turn the Beastie Boys ...

You're the man!! That is too funny, that is the unit I used to have! I still have some great music recorded with that thing on cassettes.. I really need to find the time to burn to CD.

Thanks for the website too.. I'll have to look these guys up!

Paul
RGruppe #180
So many cars..so little time!!
Old 12-05-2008, 07:13 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #37 (permalink)
Me like track days

Friend owns the exact same car - he loves it, has 200k on it and it looks new...
Old 12-05-2008, 08:37 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #38 (permalink)
Large Member

Garage
Jeff-

Apologies for coming to yer table 5 daze late / 5 dollarz short. Seems you have your input / decision made, I'll add my useless 2rupees:

Shortshort version?

The 50wideopenthrottle k I put on my e28 ///M5 were automotive bliss. Literal Polaroid (haHA!):

Longer version...

Awesomeawesome cars. e28 to e34 is Michael Tyson compared to Michael Jordan. Raw, brutal, aural / sensory hedonism.

I only Dinan chip'd mine and straight pipe'd the resonator - but OMG the f'n soundtrack that wailing I6 breathing through six large butterflies - man - I'm getting the firckin butterflies just rememberin'. Then the sound if it blowing by you full crack - f'n A YEAH.

I daily drove mine, even with 750i 15x8 steelies mit Hakk 10's here in the CT winterz. Man, the memories - esp. running the Mt. Washington Hillclimb - DOWN - muwahahaha! Whattahoot.

Mind you! This was up until '99... they were barely broken in back then. Add a decade. Parts are ludicrously $$$, the joke was the "M" was for part price multiplier.

I had a few issues. Someone mentioned control arms, ate those for bfast. Heater control valve. Shift linkage. Tubular header (schwing!) flex pipe crack. Valve guide wear as Paul noted. TDC pin fell off flywheel. SLS rear suspension's usually complain at some point. Gearbox began to 'whir' some @ 120k when I finally pitched it - oh and I think it was compressing the coolant overflow, possible head gasket or head crack issue. I think I had about $5k in maintenance into it after the 4yr/50k WOT I did, which ain't bad but those were yesterday's dollars and parts prices.

Long story, I wouldn't daily drive one in 2009.

I'd kill for another tho, to park next to me 930. Sold her for my MB 2.3-16, then later a UrS6 as someone mentioned (same as UrS4). As someone aptly noted - they NEED Euro bumpers F&R, if only to cure the guaranteed bumper pad 'curl' atop them behemoths. Look f'n badass rockin' those tho. Def. need H4's, as DOT's blow.

Agreed w/ many here - keep your joy and you NEED A BEATER. Heck I just got back from eyeballing an awesome '81 Scirocco for a bud here tonight. I recently pitched my ur4kq. Beaterz rule. UrS market has crashed, good cars are < $5k, chipped put out relialbe 22psi 7k WOT upshifts day in day out. Quite joyous - 330lb/ft tq anyone?

People ask why I have 3 cars - answer: cause I don't have 5.

HTH your sanity. You're making the right decision.

Besides, seller's smokin' the rock @ $22k for a 150k stock car.

ps. HA! to your airport story, it's near midnight here and I'm LOL'ing in the living room - tx as alwayz.

pps. btw - Kiss Off + Beasties = both in me //S8's Phatnoise (mp3)... great mindz...

| '01 ///M5 | '96 993 C2 cab | '05 S600 Sport - biturbo V12@Just Not Right 495rwhp / 612rwtq |
| '58 TR3A | '01 //S8 | '95 //S6 6gang | '88 ///M5 | '87 190E 2.3-16 |
Old 12-07-2008, 07:49 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #39 (permalink)
"I wuz the liquor..."

Paul, thanks for taking the time to share your exeriences with M5s! As usual, your posts crack me up! I have to read them several times to take it all in, but I have found that it's usually worth the extra effort.

I agree, that I need to play the beater card. We'll see...
Old 12-08-2008, 12:01 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #40 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: