Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Technical BBS > 1- Porsche Technical Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Certified User

Garage
Mount for 2 AFR gauge

I’ve looked at a number of mounting locations for extra gauges and its quite obvious that there are a variety of locations and methods that each have their pros and cons.
I didn’t want to use the ash-tray location because I have already fitted an extra aircon vent there. I also didn’t want anything above the dash.

What I have ended up with is something that works for me that I haven’t seen elsewhere and may be of interest to others.

I guess photos are easier than trying to explain it all …

The gauge housing I used is a plain 50mm PVC pipe coupling (60mm OD x 62mm long) which is readily available in most hardware stores in Oz for a dollar or so, but I am sure there will be a close equivalent in the US.

I used a blob of body filer covered in plastic film pushed up against the underside of my dash panel to mould the mounting pad. Put some filler on the inside as well just to give a flat surface for mounting bolt. It wouldn’t hurt to actually mould the bolt head in place to make fitting easier.
Black vinyl similar to the standard dash (an offcut from local motor trimmer) was contact glued to housing and folded in each end.

Gauge mounting bracket will fit against the ridge inside the housing (or use an O-ring between gauge and housing for a push fit).

The only hole I drilled in the car was 6mm for the mounting bolt. If I remove the gauge later, I will fit a black rubber body plug which won’t be too conspicuous in this location. I decided to run the wires from the gauge through the clock hole to avoid drilling a second hole under the dash.

Aesthetically, this is obviously an add-on and probably not to everyone’s taste, but I can live with it from where I sit.
One big disadvantage … my view of the heater controls is obstructed!

I hope some of you can make use of this.
Bill
Memories: '68 912, '72 911T, '80 911SC, '84 911, '85 930, '86 930, '87 911

Last edited by billjam; 12-03-2008 at 06:58 PM.. Reason: hit the wrong button!
Old 12-03-2008, 06:48 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Looks good to me, and in the right place. I have seen some lower in the console but this read out is most important to be able to monitor closely. I would even like an additional audible or a ancillary warning light if out of the safe range ( similar to shift light, OP light, charge light, if being used on track ). Does someone make one this way.
Old 12-04-2008, 12:42 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
OFF THE BOOST PIPE NOW...

Depends which one you get. The Innovate has a ring of LEDs that you can change colors.

Of course, by the time the light goes on, it may be too late...

Quote:
Looks good to me, and in the right place. I have seen some lower in the console but this read out is most important to be able to monitor closely. I would even like an additional audible or a ancillary warning light if out of the safe range ( similar to shift light, OP light, charge light, if being used on track ). Does someone make one this way.
Old 12-04-2008, 03:47 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

I found the led a/f gauges to be distracting. I went with this dual a/f gauge by Westach for our n.a. motor. They can do different gauge combos. I drilled out the back of an old clock gauge and slide the Westach gauge in.
Old 12-04-2008, 04:34 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

What brand a/f ratio gauge is that?

Mark
Old 12-08-2008, 11:02 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
Certified User

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by marks914 View Post
What brand a/f ratio gauge is that?

Mark
Mark, if you are referring to my gauge, it is an Innovate Motorsports G5.
It needs an Innovate LC-1 to drive it. Seems to work OK but lighting is too bright at night but I'm sure there must be a way to dim it.
Bill
Memories: '68 912, '72 911T, '80 911SC, '84 911, '85 930, '86 930, '87 911
Old 12-09-2008, 03:39 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: