Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > 1- Porsche Technical Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Wo ist die Rennstrecke?

Not me. Not since I saw some cams trashed from "restrictors". Some motor builders I work with toss them and tell the owners if they want any kind of build warranty on the motor, they can't use them. If you want increased pressure, shim the pressure relief pistons, but don't restrict oil to an area that relies on lots of oil to run well (and oil with zinc and phosphorus which is lacking in newer oils since its hardened steel on hardened steel).
Old 10-08-2009, 05:21 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #21 (permalink)

smoker

My 1987 930 has a similiar issue with regards to smoking. Sometimes smokes on startup, sometimes smokes when under full accelleration. Otherwise runs good, 85k miles on the clock.

Thanks all for the replies
Old 10-08-2009, 05:22 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #22 (permalink)
Wo ist die Rennstrecke?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 930cabman View Post
My 1987 930 has a similiar issue with regards to smoking. Sometimes smokes on startup, sometimes smokes when under full accelleration. Otherwise runs good, 85k miles on the clock.

Thanks all for the replies
This would tend to point to the turbo and it's oil seals. When the car sits, oil can seep past the turbo oil seal - and it doesn't take much. If the car sits overnight and puffs blue smoke, its a function of oil seeping past the rings. If it blows blue smoke on WOT, then it could be a combination of rings and turbo oil seal (increased oil pressure on the oil seal, pushing oil past the seal into the turbine housing). You can check ring leak using a leak down tester: low leak down, mot likely bad turbo seal.
Old 10-08-2009, 05:29 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #23 (permalink)
Manassas, VA

Garage
As AFM744 said, restrictors became OEM on the 965 motor because that engine has a completely different oiling and filtering system.

Just because there are restrictors in the 1991-1994 engines is NOT a good reason to install them into earlier engines.

Thanks,
Mark
Old 10-08-2009, 05:50 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #24 (permalink)
HoyaBear

Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to hoyabear
Kirk,

I have to chime in on this one as I am still dealing with this issue. Right off the bat, it sounds like you are having a scavenging problem of some sort. If the seals were bad it would be happening fairly constantly. I went through this problem already, replaced the turbo with a new one, had the same problem again, had the new turbo's seals replaced and after putting the damn thing in again am still having issues.

I will say from experience, just because the scavenge pump appears to work once, twice or more times when you test it (using the typical test), doesn't mean that it will work every time. I found out the hard way that my scavenge pump was working intermittently, it just so happened to work when-ever I tested it (well, at least until I eventually caught it!). I have since rebuilt the pump and it works much better. However, the problem is still not gone and now the car smokes like mad whenever it decells (engine brakes).

My assumption is that there could be other issues that haven't been resolved that were probably compounding the initial issue:

1.) the car has an aftermarket drip tank that is unvented
2.) the angle at which this drip tank hangs off the new turbo is such that the drain is slanting upward and the oil level is probably right up to the neck of the tank before it is able to drain out(severely reducing the capacity of this already much smaller tank)
3.) the amount of oil that goes through this turbo seems to be

As soon as I get a chance I am going to try a few things to see if this problem will finally go away:

1.) beat the drip tank untill it is at a more appropriate angle relative to the turbo (this will also help me get some frustration out)
2.) make a vent for the drip tank
3.) if the first two don't work, I am going to experiment with putting a larget BB in the check valve (10-10.5mm)
4.) if this stuff still doesn't work, I am going to put a drain on the other side of the drip tank going to the passenger side timing cover
5.) if all of this stuff still doesn't work, I am going to get an electric scavenge pump
6.) if this still doesn't solve the problem I am going to burn this thing to the ground and get a Corvette

I'll let you'll know how it goes...if anyone has any thoughts comments or solutions that have worked for them this would be a good place to put it.

- Jon
'86 930: 3.4 Andial build, Web GT2 Evo cams, Carrillo rods, ported/polished heads, MSD 6530, B&B headers/exh + intercooler, K27HF, 1 bar spring, Tial wastegate, Andial FE, Lindsey Fuchs. Back in black!!!
Past:997S cab; '88 930; '86 951; C5 Vette; 4th Gen Z28; 3rd Gen Trans Am GTA; '71 Z28
Old 10-08-2009, 06:22 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #25 (permalink)
What freekin Oil Leak?

This link might help:

930 Oil Drip Tank Fills When Engine Is Off -->Causes smoking

For my situation, I concluded that the lack of a vent tube (after market headers), missing ball bearing, and new restrictors all played a role.
Old 10-08-2009, 10:58 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #26 (permalink)

Garage
Jon,

I agree the problem seems to be a scavenge issue. I tested the scavenge pump and all seems well, but maybe it's worth another test. My turbo and sump are stock, so I shouldn't be having any breather issues, but I am going to check all the plumbing this weekend.

Thanks for all the replies.
1997 Land Cruiser
Old 10-09-2009, 02:12 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #27 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: