Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

tacho signal wire

Guys,
I'm trying (unsucessfully) to install a digi WUR.
One of the things I need is to hook into the Tacho sensor wire.
The engine is an 87 930.
I have a wiring diag, but I don't know which wire is the sensor wire.
Can I use the coil?
Thx
Alan
Old 12-05-2008, 12:04 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Garage
I connected the neg coil terminal to the tach signal wire and the postive coil terminal to the switched voltage wire on my rpm module.

1988 930 coupe - Silver Metallic
stock 3.3L w/GT35R, B&B Headers, RarlyL8 muffler, B&B intercooler, Tial wastegate, Electromotive tecGT based phased sequential EFI & ignition, Wevo shifter
Old 12-05-2008, 01:16 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

My unit is a bit different - it only has the one tach signal wire.
Will running off the -ve coil suffice for the tach signal. Is this where the tach picks it up from? If so, that will work fine.
(PS - there is an update on the UT site - you can convert to the single wire pick up).
Regards
Alan
Old 12-05-2008, 01:28 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Garage
I think the tach picks up from the CDI box or from somewhere else, but the negative coil post is OK, too. It's working for my version of the DWUR. You can always move it somewhere else later.

1988 930 coupe - Silver Metallic
stock 3.3L w/GT35R, B&B Headers, RarlyL8 muffler, B&B intercooler, Tial wastegate, Electromotive tecGT based phased sequential EFI & ignition, Wevo shifter
Old 12-05-2008, 03:47 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
OFF THE BOOST PIPE NOW...

I believe there is a black wire with a purple stripe near the CDI box. There should be a black in-line fuse looking connect if I recall corectly. You can tap in there.
Old 12-05-2008, 04:13 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

OK guys, thanks.
Looks like the black violet one out of the CDI box. That relates to my wiring diag.
Not proceeding at moment, now, unit is not functioning.
Oddly, UT tell me I don't need the tacho input for digi WUR.
Can't work that out.
Regards
Alan
Old 12-05-2008, 05:44 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Alan,I don't know if this will help, but here it one on a 965. Good luck . It is real easy to install and use.
Old 12-06-2008, 07:06 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Got it.
Thanks.
I like the way you have mounted the box.
Alan
Old 12-06-2008, 08:48 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: