Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Do I need a special to do this?

Hi,

I am having a hard time trying to replace my oil pressure sender on my '87, the reg. craw wrench was too big and thick to fit into that tight space so I ground the tool to fit, but now because it is too thin so it broke off when I try to turn it.

Do I need a special too for that or do I have to remove something in order to gain more room ?

Thanks, Yahow

Old 12-08-2008, 07:55 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Send a message via Yahoo to full quack
Yep that things a pain in the ass. I too ground down an open end wrench & also heated up the shank & bent it a little. Combined with a slightly ground down crows foot, I got it done. Just be persistent & butcher a couple of cheap TOOL TOWN tools. My A/C unit is gone, so it was out of the way, that helped too.
Mark
Old 12-09-2008, 06:53 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Garage
I was able to get to it without modifying the wrench. used a standard crapsman open ended wrench. of course this only allowed me to turn the bolt about 1/8 of a turn at a time. not sure if you have a/c (I do) and that makes it all that much more frustrating. anyway, the basic process was turn 1/8, flip wrench, turn 1/8, flip wrench, turn 1/8.... I've read that others have had good luck using a crow foot wrench. overall process took me almost 3 hours, of which approximately 2 hours and 58 minutes worth was spent "flippin' wrenches"
Old 12-09-2008, 06:59 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Hi Full quack and Myamoto1,

Thank you for the advice, I will take my time to work on it then.

One more question, my oil pressure sender is @ 5 bar when key is on engine not running, and when engine is running stay @ 5 bar @ all rpm range and no change, is that means the oil pressure sender is no good?

Thanks, Yahow
Old 12-09-2008, 08:21 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Garage
check yer ground... there are some threads in the 911 tech section that cover this pretty well and is what I used for reference when I did mine. however, a quick test is to put power to the gauge, walk around to the engine and pull the wire off the top of the pressure sender. ground that to the block (I used a short piece of 12 gauge copper I had laying around to make it easy). if your wire is intact all the way to the gauge, the needle should drop to zero. really hard to see if you're doing it alone, but in a quiet garage, I could hear the needle drop (grounded) or peg (open loop/non-grounded). if there is no change, there's most likely a break in your sender wire and the sender is still good. pray it's your sender and not the wire (unless the break can be seen). let us know how it turns out
Old 12-09-2008, 08:35 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Hi Myamoto1,

I will do that test this weekend.

Thanks again, Yahow
Old 12-10-2008, 07:22 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

OFF THE BOOST PIPE NOW...

My thoughts are that you remove and GROUND the wire to the sending unit to test the wire and gauge. If ut pegs, the wire and gauge are good. Try that first before you apply power.

Last edited by A930Rocket; 12-10-2008 at 07:48 PM..
Old 12-10-2008, 07:45 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

A930Rocket, will do.

Thanks, Yahow
Old 12-10-2008, 09:05 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Did you ever figure out your problem? My car does the same, as soon as the key is turned it jumps to 5. Thanks
84 VW Rabbit GTI
Old 05-29-2012, 08:00 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Sounds like your wiring to the sender is grounded. My sensor is still toast. for some reason when i turn on the rear window wiper mine pegs to 5 bar. The wiring at the back of the engine is cooked pretty good.
88 turbo Guards red Targa slant nose, and yes I am a horsepower junkie, 3.4liter,7.5 to 1 JE pistons, Adjustable WUR, Imagine fuel head, 1 bar waste gate headers,allthe cis toys. Now apart to become the next EFI monster. fabbing my own intake, headers Individual throttle bodies, MS-3, pauter rods, Xtreme twin plugged heads, gt-2 evo cams cop's.
2019 Silverado 6.2L
Old 05-30-2012, 05:29 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Hi Bman,

My problem was the oil pressure sender, replaced with a new one in '08 and it's still working well today!

Yahow
Old 05-31-2012, 12:08 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

I have to replace mine as well, as it stays on 2 with the engine turned off?
Luckly the A/C pump is not there to get in the way, many guys remove them anyway?
I am going to have ago using a crows feet tool, I think there should be room to use it?

porsche930.myfreeforum.org
Old 05-31-2012, 12:16 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yahow lam View Post
Hi Bman,

My problem was the oil pressure sender, replaced with a new one in '08 and it's still working well today!

Yahow
Thanks for the update.

84 VW Rabbit GTI
Old 05-31-2012, 02:26 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: