Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Taking off Exhaust

I`m new to P- cars hope someone can help. I want to remove the exhaust on my 930. Do I need to take off the bumper to get it off?

Old 12-10-2008, 11:51 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
resident samsquamch

Are you trying to remove the exhaust muffler from the turbo? Or the exhaust headers from the cylinder heads? If it's the turbo, I think it's easier/better to just remove the back bumper. I hate trying to fight with it. Plus, if you still have the lower valence, heat shield, and bumper pads still in place, rear bumper removal is almost a requirment.

There are four nuts (two on each side) under the rub strips on each side of the bumper pads. You will also need to remove the four nuts (two on each side) on the inside of the accordians, and carefully pry them from the rear bumper. Then you have to disconnect the rear tag light.
"Ladies and Gentlemen, from Boston Massachusetts, we are Morphine, at your service..." - Mark Sandman (RIP)
Old 12-10-2008, 12:05 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
resident samsquamch

Now that I've posted that, I'm trying to recall if there is enough room without having to remove the back bumper. My rear bumper is pretty well stripped and I have a very small muffler, so I'm able to leave my bumper in place.
"Ladies and Gentlemen, from Boston Massachusetts, we are Morphine, at your service..." - Mark Sandman (RIP)
Old 12-10-2008, 12:07 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Manassas, VA

Garage
It seems like a hassle to remove the rear bumper, but you will be so glad you did. It makes working on the rear of the engine a joy. Well, almost...

Good Luck,
Mark
Old 12-10-2008, 12:55 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
89 930.

Garage
No, you don't need to remove the bumper. Just did it a few months back.
You may need a torch to heat the bolts, but thats it.
There is one bolt thats tight to get at ,once you loosen it, its easy.

G/L
Old 12-10-2008, 02:04 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
resident samsquamch

I agree. The access to the turbo is very good this way.
Quote:
Originally Posted by lucittm View Post
It seems like a hassle to remove the rear bumper, but you will be so glad you did. It makes working on the rear of the engine a joy. Well, almost...

Good Luck,
Mark
Old 12-10-2008, 03:08 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Wait a minute. Last time I looked at the turbine exhaust flange on a 930, there is the back bolts on the muffler flange hidden against the motor that appear impossible to remove with anything. It seems that the whole exhaust section needs to be dropped with the turbo as a whole assembly. What is everyone else using to get those back bolts out to remove just the muffler?
Old 12-10-2008, 04:09 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
Crotchety Old Bastard

Garage
Removing the bumper is not mandatory. You don't even need to jack up the car.

- Remove the heat shield.
- Remove the 5 pounds of gravel you just dumped on your face.
- Remove the valance.
- Remove the muffler strap.
- Remove the Air Injection nut (if applicable).
- Using a stubby 14mm box wrench or ratchet remove the 4 muffler bolts.
- Remove the cat/muffler assembly as one.

Here is proof that you can even remove the turbo with the bumper on. Believe me, if I can do it you can do it.

Old 12-10-2008, 05:04 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)
resident samsquamch

Definitly several ways to skin the same dead cat. First time I ever did it, I left the bumper on and removed the valence and heat sheild. I fought with it until I realized how quickly you can get that bumper off. I was amazed at how much of the rear engine was/is exposed this way. Not to mention, the valence, heat shield and bumper teets all just stay attached, and come off with the bumper as a single unit. YMMV.
Old 12-10-2008, 07:16 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)
resident samsquamch

An old picture (I'm now running a RarlyL8 center exit muffler/zork) to show what I mean:
Old 12-10-2008, 07:20 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)
Automotive Monomaniac

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by RarlyL8 View Post
Removing the bumper is not mandatory. You don't even need to jack up the car.

- Remove the heat shield.
- Remove the 5 pounds of gravel you just dumped on your face.
- Remove the valance.
- Remove the muffler strap.
- Remove the Air Injection nut (if applicable).
- Using a stubby 14mm box wrench or ratchet remove the 4 muffler bolts.
- Remove the cat/muffler assembly as one.
Ain't that the truth!

I leave the bumper on when I swap my exhaust.

- Mike
Old 12-10-2008, 08:19 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Thanks for the info. I have an aftermarket Borla and I want to take it off to have it polished.
Old 12-11-2008, 05:16 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

sudo apt-get purge 930

I removed my stock muffler by just removing the valence.

"Worrying about depreciation on your car and keeping mileage down is like not ****ing your girlfriend so her next boyfriend finds her more appealing"
--clutch-monkey
Old 12-11-2008, 05:25 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)
resident samsquamch

I removed my lower valnce and heat sheild so long ago (kept it off), I can't remember now...but isn't there a valence screw hiding under each bumper pad? I'm telling you, you will save yourself some trouble, by removing the bumper.

As I said beore, my rear bumper is pretty naked (no pads, no valence, no heat shield)...so there is TONS of room. I no longer remove it either when I work on the muffler/turbo. In addition, my turbo and muffler have been removed sooooooooooo many times, the nuts are not frozen or galled, so this also makes it easier.

Last edited by sand_man; 12-11-2008 at 05:41 AM..
Old 12-11-2008, 05:38 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)
sudo apt-get purge 930

Quote:
Originally Posted by sand_man View Post
but isn't there a valence screw hiding under each bumper pad?
Not on mine, but then mine has Euro pads.

"Worrying about depreciation on your car and keeping mileage down is like not ****ing your girlfriend so her next boyfriend finds her more appealing"
--clutch-monkey
Old 12-11-2008, 06:11 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)
resident samsquamch

Quote:
Originally Posted by equality72521 View Post
Not on mine.
But you probably have smaller Euro bumper pads.
Old 12-11-2008, 06:12 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)
sudo apt-get purge 930

Ha, you beat me to it before I could edit.

--clutch-monkey
Old 12-11-2008, 06:13 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)

So if I take off the lower part of the bumper(valence) I should have no problem getting it off?Also are there screws under the bumpers for the valence? If so how do the bumpers come off. Thank`s in advance.

Last edited by Tug68; 12-11-2008 at 10:04 AM..
Old 12-11-2008, 10:02 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)
OFF THE BOOST PIPE NOW...

Read Sandmans first post.

Quote:
So if I take off the lower part of the bumper(valence) I should have no problem getting it off?Also are there screws under the bumpers for the valence? If so how do the bumpers come off. Thank`s in advance.
Old 12-11-2008, 04:34 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)
Crotchety Old Bastard

Garage
Tug,

This is one of those deals where you just jump in and do it.
On your own picture you can see the large bolts holding the valance on. You simply unscrew them and the valance and rubber come off. It is easier if you take the heat shield off first.

If you wish to remove the bumper as one unit you must first remove the heat shiled to get to the nuts that remove the bumper boobs that must be removed to get to the nuts that hold the bumper on.
Be careful when removing the accordians on each side as the little bolts can scratch your paint.

Old 12-11-2008, 05:47 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #20 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: