Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > 1- Porsche Technical Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Doug Siegel

removing front valance and bumper

Do they come off as a single unit?

I need to remove them both, anyone want to give me the general directions?

I've decided to remove the fog lights and soon replace them with custom naca ducts that will feed air directly and exclusively to each the oil coolers in my wheel wells. For those of us who wish to keep the stock valance, I will post oil temp results. Has anyone been down this road successfully? I've already dropped the coin on installing a driver's side oil cooler, yet I've had little success keeping temps down. I might as well see if I can get'em down with better and more efficient airflow.

Thanks.
88' blk/blk 930: Haltech EFI, Twin Plug, Pauter Rods, Nascar Bearings, custom crank work, dowel pinned case, ported manifold and heads, Kokeln I/C, SC Cams, Turbonetics ball bearing 62-1, BB headers, RARLYL8 Zork, additional 993 oil filter, plx/inyourface gage, RS style coilover, Fikse FM10-17 wheels, TIAL 46mm 1 bar. (where the heck did all my money go?)
Old 12-10-2008, 01:02 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Certified User

Garage
I have just been through the exercise of tidying up my front end and a I took a few photos for the record. Some of them may give you an idea of what to look for.

The bumper comes off first without the valance.
Remove the two small screws in each end of the center rubber strip and then pull the rubber off carefully. If you are lucky, the small plastic retaining clips will pop out of the bumper - if you're not, they will snap off.
Remove the bellows from each side. The four small nuts aren't always easy to get at but I managed with a small 1/4 drive socket and ratchet.
Then it's only the four large nuts that were hidden behind the rubber strip and a bunch of wires and hoses.

Removing the indicator lights with the bumper in place is only possible if there's nothing behind the bumper (like oil coolers, water container, horns, etc). Normally, you will need to remove the bumper far enough to get access to the mounting nuts on the back of the lights. Unbolt them and leave them dangling on their wires.

The headlight washers are a bit of a pain to disconnect. If you haven't seen how they come apart beforehand, you are likely to break them (don't ask!). Obviously, the hose clip can be loosened and the hose pulled off the fitting, but my hoses were so inflexible that I couldn't budge them. This hose is cheap to replace so if you have any problems here, just cut it close to the fitting and use new hose later (I think it is 1/2" nylon reinforced plastic hose).
These fittings also pull apart, so if the hose won't come off, the other option is to pull the 90 degree elbow rearwards out of the body of the nozzle (carefully).

With the bumper out of the way, you will see that the valance is held on by four bolts and the spoiler where it is attached to the fenders. It's all downhill from here. Have fun.

Memories: '68 912, '72 911T, '80 911SC, '84 911, '85 930, '86 930, '87 911
Old 12-10-2008, 02:37 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Doug Siegel

Wow. I couldn't ask for better directions than that! Thank you. Any suggestions or diagrams that would solve our Financial crisis?
88' blk/blk 930: Haltech EFI, Twin Plug, Pauter Rods, Nascar Bearings, custom crank work, dowel pinned case, ported manifold and heads, Kokeln I/C, SC Cams, Turbonetics ball bearing 62-1, BB headers, RARLYL8 Zork, additional 993 oil filter, plx/inyourface gage, RS style coilover, Fikse FM10-17 wheels, TIAL 46mm 1 bar. (where the heck did all my money go?)
Old 12-10-2008, 04:08 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
"O Gruppe 13"

Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to IDGAF27
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsiegel360 View Post
.................................................. .............................. Any suggestions or diagrams that would solve our Financial crisis?
...now you are pushing your luck
67 911 2.0L, 901, Webbers,Matching #'s
68 912 original to the bone
Old 12-10-2008, 04:36 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

wheel well fans

I installed two Billy Boat front fender well oil coolers with fans late last summer. Judging from my stock oil temp indicator, the temp dropped appreciably. How much is impossible to know without a more exact gauge. I'm very interested in your cooling ducts install. It would be great if you'd keep us apprised of your progress.
Old 12-11-2008, 09:41 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
Smart quod bastardus

Garage
You know I track my car in summer for DE days and have the same overheating issue with my '79 930 even after installing the OEM Carrera cooler and fan from Elephant racing in the passenger well. I get about 3 laps into a session and the temp is crepping past 240 degrees. I have the little scoop from Pelican in place of the turn signal light for added air flow and even removed the headlight and drilled holes with a 1 inch hole saw in the headlight bucket. Once at those temps I had to slow down and basically ended my session.
This only added about 1 lap to my session before hitting 240 degrees again.
I thought of adding a second cooler on drivers side to keep the stock valence look. But thinking of the amount of cooling increase I need to get down to safe temps of 210-220 degrees I bit the bullet and bought a central mount cooler and valence (RSR) style.
I guess it depends on how hard your runnin her and how much delta temp you need to get from the total system. It is amazing how much heat you will generate with 300-360h.p at full load. 40% of the engine power is lost in waste heat!
As soon as I get her running at the track next summer I will post temp results.
1979 930 Turbo....3.4L, 7.5to1 comp, SC cams, B&B intercooler, Snow Perf water/meth injection, Rarlyl8 headers, Garret GTX turbo, 36mm ported intakes, Innovate Auxbox/LM-1, custom Manually Adjustable wastegate housing (0.8-1.1bar),--running 0.7bar max
---"When you're racing it's life! Anything else either before or after, is just waiting"
Old 12-11-2008, 10:29 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

I went through the same deal trying things, tried that, more of this, another one of that... and ended up with the front valance cooler. The oil temps at the track now stay @200* = peace of mind. Don't waste time and money go for the real thing.
Old 12-11-2008, 12:05 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Garage
Front bumper won't come off my 1985 Carrera M491 wide body. ! I've followed all the steps for front bumper removal as outlined in this thread. Even though all fasteners have been removed the bumper won't budge from the impact shock.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Old 04-07-2014, 06:11 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)
Large Member

Garage
yeah

tho first I wish you'd posted this inquiry a couplafew weekses ago as I coulda used Bill's suggestion of removing the bumper first not the valance

duh

tho truth be told, at that time, the bumper wasn't coming off for paint but now it is

anywho

are you sure everything is unfastened (sure you didn't just do the shock end nuts and got the pair of bolts securing the bracket on each side end of the shock?)... the shocks should come out w/ the bumper

and even so - things might need some good convincing / gesticulating / maneuvering to break the 'stick' loose

good luck

great write up Bill! Wish I'd bothered to search, woulda saved some time fersure

| '01 ///M5 | '96 993 C2 cab | '05 S600 Sport - biturbo V12@Just Not Right 495rwhp / 612rwtq |
| '58 TR3A | '01 //S8 | '95 //S6 6gang | '88 ///M5 | '87 190E 2.3-16 |
Old 04-07-2014, 06:20 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

nice!!!
Old 04-09-2014, 11:30 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: