Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
After the next project

Garage
930 with SC cams in CA.???? Pass Emissions?

I am currently doing a top-end rebuild on my 87-930 and I will be regrinding my 930 Cams to SC specs through Web Cams.

My questions: Has anyone done this in CA. and will there be any issues with emissions? I know things will change a little but want to make sure I still can pass within the limits.

Thanks,
Bryan
Old 12-14-2008, 02:24 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Yes, I have SC cams in my 3.5 and it passes smog.
Old 12-14-2008, 03:27 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
After the next project

Garage
gumba

Have you done anything else besides 3.5 upgrade and sc cams?? Are you running EFI or anything like that or just CIS?

Do you just add the catalytic converter every two years for a few days and call it good?

Lastly, are your air lines still intact and working? OEM heat exchangers?

Thanks,
Bryan
Old 12-14-2008, 06:13 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

The 3rd shot at the beginning of this thread is my SSI exhaust system. Air pump & lines in place and working, CIS. If you look closely at the shot you can see the air lines. The motor was dynoed with everything hooked up and working. I'm too lazy to swap stuff off my car. EFI won't pass the visual.
3.5 twin plug, SC cams, K27 turbo, DP intercooler, SSI exhaust, 400 f.w.h.p.
Old 12-14-2008, 08:31 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
Cymru am Byth

No Problem, even without the smog pump hooked up.
2005 Lexus GX470 Offroader
Julian Williams
Old 12-15-2008, 07:01 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
After the next project

Garage
Update

Funny, when I sent my cams to Webcams they called and apparantly I have a 964 grind. They were done in 1998. I decided to still go with SC cams to give me more off-boost power. The job was also less expensive since they had already been hard welded before.

Bryan
Old 12-23-2008, 06:19 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)
Acceleration Junkie

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by x98boardwell View Post
. . . .will there be any issues with emissions? I know things will change a little but want to make sure I still can pass within the limits.
Bryan:
If you're not already running an MSD ignition with boost retard, it would be worth the investment for both reduced emissions and improved performance. The system is approved for use in our cars by CA's Air Resource Board.
It fires twice for every combustion event up to 3000 rpm, thus cleans up exhaust emissions for smog. You'll be hard pressed to foul a plug.
The Boost retard module lets you run more initial timing which wakes up low end performance, then lets you pull the added timing out when the engine goes into boost and back to where it needs to be so the engine doesn't go Kaboom at max boost/load.
Note that MSD makes an ignition with a built in boost retard as well as a separate boost retard module. I recommend you purchase the separate boost retard module as it provides the user greater control of retard and potentially more torque in the low/mid RPM range.
Part Numbers:
Ignition - MSD 6AL (6420) (Includes rev. limit ability/modules)
Boost retard Module - (8762)
Aprox cost, $500/pair
Old 12-23-2008, 07:38 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
After the next project

Garage
Thanks

Chris,

Thanks for the input. Where would you say is the best place to purchase these items? Anything to look for? Also, can you explain a little further on why for my application would the separate units work better?

Also, when I sent my cams to Webcams to have them ground to SC specs they called and mentioned that they were already re-ground to 964 cams in 1998. The SC cams will still offer more low end performance so I decided to proceed with them still. The 964 will help up in the high rpm's but I am not there that often and never on the track so I figured SC would work better for street use.

Bryan
Old 12-23-2008, 07:03 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)
Doug Siegel

Bryan,
I've got an MSD w boost retard for sale.
Doug
88' blk/blk 930: Haltech EFI, Twin Plug, Pauter Rods, Nascar Bearings, custom crank work, dowel pinned case, ported manifold and heads, Kokeln I/C, SC Cams, Turbonetics ball bearing 62-1, BB headers, RARLYL8 Zork, additional 993 oil filter, plx/inyourface gage, RS style coilover, Fikse FM10-17 wheels, TIAL 46mm 1 bar. (where the heck did all my money go?)
Old 12-23-2008, 07:10 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)
OFF THE BOOST PIPE NOW...

If Dougs offer doesn't go through, try Jegs or Summit Racing. They seem to offer the best pricing.
Old 12-23-2008, 07:26 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)
Acceleration Junkie

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by x98boardwell View Post
Chris,

Thanks for the input. Where would you say is the best place to purchase these items? Anything to look for? Also, can you explain a little further on why for my application would the separate units work better?
A reliable source for MSD products is Summit Racing.
Link to MSD-6AL (6420) http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp?autofilter=1&part=MSD-6420&N=700+400122+306213+115&autoview=sku
Link to Boost Controller MSD 8762 http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp?autofilter=1&part=MSD-8762&N=700+115&autoview=sku
MSD's P/n 8762 boost control module gives you control of the boost retard start pressure and rate of retard from 1-3 deg. per psi boost (15-deg total retard max.).
The MSD 6-BTM (P/N 6462) integral ignition/boost retard system does not give you access to retard onset pressure, only rate of retard, again 1-3 deg/psi, max 15-deg retard. About $85 less than separate ign/module.

If you chose to run an MSD ignition, dig out and remove the resistor in the rotor (between coil contact and rotor out to distributor cap) and solder in its place a solid piece of 12awg copper wire (common household "romex" wire). Re-epoxy to assure the wire stays put at high rpm. Spark power is hot enough to eat the resistor.
Old 12-23-2008, 07:33 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)
Acceleration Junkie

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsiegel360 View Post
I've got an MSD w boost retard for sale.
Doug
Bryan:
I believe from past posted info that Doug has the MSD 6-BTM integral ignition/boost retard. It's a good system unless you are trying to wring the last 10-ft lbs of torque out of the engine. If it's a good price, I'd take it in a heart beat.
Chris
Old 12-23-2008, 07:42 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: