Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Technical BBS > 1- Porsche Technical Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 16 votes, 4.25 average.
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

The most common Porsche Exclusive wood dashes at the time (mid-late 80s) were the Light Rootwood and Dark Rootwood Dash. You could also get the shifter/brake handles to match among other things. Hard to tell from your pics but it might be the Light Rootwood.

The dash alone was several thousand dollars.

Most hood stickers pre-1986 were void of option codes that were part of the overall vehicle build. In many cases, hardly any appear on the hood sticker despite the car being well optioned. Porsche did not start getting better about this until 1986. But even in the 2000s, there are build options that oftentimes dont appear because they run out of space. Ive seen that with a lot of cars with 12-15 X-code options. They tend to put the X codes on the sticker, but leave off other more mainstream ones.

Like the COAs, Porsche has never really focused on being consistent and accurate in their recordkeeping. Some of it you take with a grain of salt.
Old 08-22-2014, 09:51 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #861 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by UDPride View Post
The most common Porsche Exclusive wood dashes at the time (mid-late 80s) were the Light Rootwood and Dark Rootwood Dash. You could also get the shifter/brake handles to match among other things. Hard to tell from your pics but it might be the Light Rootwood.

The dash alone was several thousand dollars.

Most hood stickers pre-1986 were void of option codes that were part of the overall vehicle build. In many cases, hardly any appear on the hood sticker despite the car being well optioned. Porsche did not start getting better about this until 1986. But even in the 2000s, there are build options that oftentimes dont appear because they run out of space. Ive seen that with a lot of cars with 12-15 X-code options. They tend to put the X codes on the sticker, but leave off other more mainstream ones.

Like the COAs, Porsche has never really focused on being consistent and accurate in their recordkeeping. Some of it you take with a grain of salt.
Thanks...I think you are right. The dash is light rootwood and it is not your normal veneer. It is approx 1/4" think and made of solid wood. And, it is really done to a high quality. The shift know and ebrake are leather wrapped.

So, the big question is what is that "S" in the lower right corner of the hood sticker?
1986 Backdated Carrera (R Gruppe/Rallye Toy)/1999 BMW M Coupe (Track Toy)/1973 BMW 3.0 Coupe (vintage touring)/ 1965 BMW 1600 (Rare first run...needs resto)/ 1967 VW Beetle (Wife's C&C toy)/ 1966 MB O319 22-window bus (vintage hauler)
Old 08-22-2014, 09:59 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #862 (permalink)

Another question...were the front lower valences (where the oil cooler was mounted on the RoW models) made of steel or fiberglass?

Thanks.

Paul
1986 Backdated Carrera (R Gruppe/Rallye Toy)/1999 BMW M Coupe (Track Toy)/1973 BMW 3.0 Coupe (vintage touring)/ 1965 BMW 1600 (Rare first run...needs resto)/ 1967 VW Beetle (Wife's C&C toy)/ 1966 MB O319 22-window bus (vintage hauler)
Old 08-22-2014, 04:33 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #863 (permalink)

Ok...I know they talk about the different parts of a 930 Slant that help verify it's authenticity. So, here is what I have found so far on our '85 Coupe

1. the factory jack point has been extended with a 45-degree brace
2. the brace for the rocker has a part number
3. there is a windshield wiper resevoir under the driver side headlight
4. the inside of the rear flares have a fiberglass brake duct...the rest is steel with wood slats.
5. the engine has the long-neck 330hp intercooler and K27 Turbo

Old 08-22-2014, 04:44 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #864 (permalink)
Forced Induction Junkie

Garage
How do you know they're wood slats? Unless you've done a biopsy on them and found wood sawdust, please don't call them wood. As I have mentioned to you, Paul, in an email, there's so much misinformation out there that this stuff continues to spread across the internet.

snippet...
3. there is a windshield wiper resevoir under the driver side headlight

It looks like it's cracked.

4. the inside of the rear flares have a fiberglass brake duct...the rest is steel with wood slats.

Again urban legend... The brake duct is either a composite or fiberglass and it goes all the way out to the body where it is bonded to the body. The 87's -89's had a partial steel, partial fiberglass duct.
Werk I Zuffenhausen 3.3l/330BHP Engine with Sonderwunsch Cams, FabSpeed Headers, Kokeln IC, Twin Plugged Electromotive Crankfire, Tial Wastegate(0.8 Bar), K27 Hybrid Turbo, Ruf Twin-tip Muffler, Fikse FM-5's 8&10x17, 8:41 R&P
Old 08-23-2014, 05:39 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #865 (permalink)

Thanks Dave.

The resevoir looks cracked, but it isn't...just dirt/cobwebs. Once the mechanic is done, it goes to the detailer for a good underside cleaning.

Yes, the fg brake ducts come all the way out to the body (just behind the slats) as I've seen in other cars. I'll try and take a pic from that angle.

Finally, I agree it is hard to tell if they are wood and I read how many mixed answers there were on this. My dad is a master woodworker who makes amazing craftsman style furniture. In fact, he just made a beautiful spalted maple vaneer for our backdated 911 R Gruppe car (see pic). He inspected these slats pretty carefully and thought they felt like wood. Of course, unless you cut one in half you will never know. Has it been clarified if all original slants were wood or did some come with a polycarbonate piece?

Pic of the spalted maple dash my dad created:
Old 08-23-2014, 05:49 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #866 (permalink)

Factory Slant Question

Paul-
Your car looks like a genuine factory Special Wishes model to me and was most likely one of the Sonderwunsche turbos brought in by Scottsdale Porsche-Audi back in the eighties. Scottsdale was the most prolific US importer of the factory slants and ordered their cars through Hahn Sportwagen in Stuttgart. Hahn worked closely with Porsche Werke 1 to see that the cars were ordered and built to Scottsdale's specifications. These cars were generously optioned with the special goodies that were only available to European Porsche buyers such as the performance engine, rootwood dash, LED boost, and leather covered everything. My 1986 factory Slant (link below) was also purchased through Hahn in Stuttgart and was one of a number of German cars I personally imported back in the eighties.

I think that Porsche and PCNA looked the other way during this period but this activity certainly played a part in encouraging the eventual availablility of the Slantnose package through the US dealers (who were losing expensive car sales/profits). Porsche, along with BMW and Mercedes ultimately acknowledged the demand by US buyers for the performance models and options previously offered only to European purchasers. This disparity fortunately does not exist for today's auto enthusiasts.

1986 Porsche Slant Nose Turbo with only 2,500 miles | Porschebahn Weblog

More pictures of your beautiful red metallic Slant would be appreciated when available.
Good luck, Bill
Old 08-23-2014, 12:20 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #867 (permalink)

Thanks Bill for the info...wow...what a bubble car. Looks brand new. Stunning.

We will have pictures of the car in a couple of weeks. Sorting out a few minor things, then off to the detailer for a top and bottom cleaning. I will definitely post the whole album once we are done. Also, stay tuned...a close friend of mine just dropped off a stunning '89 930 Slant nose coupe with 20k orig. miles. Black/Black orig paint.
Old 08-23-2014, 02:05 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #868 (permalink)

This is what the '84 euro slant I was dealing with had for vents. You could see the duct/sheet metal seam at the inner perimeter. All else was factory parts and had the insulation wrapped front cooler lines running through the trunk.

This car was bought and sold as genuine, but sometimes I wonder. When someone shows exact details of a completely documented pre 505/506 it would sure help confirm. Or maybe they tried different stuff?

Old 08-23-2014, 08:18 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #869 (permalink)

Hi all,

Got my COA yesterday ! Also found a set of Fuchs OEM and just installed them. Looks like it needs a drop and spacers...What spacers do you suggest ?

Now debating if I'm keeping the steering wheel (Momo Porsche Design) or changing for OEM.

DOHC
Old 08-23-2014, 08:32 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #870 (permalink)
Forced Induction Junkie

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by TZ 197 View Post
This is what the '84 euro slant I was dealing with had for vents. You could see the duct/sheet metal seam at the inner perimeter. All else was factory parts and had the insulation wrapped front cooler lines running through the trunk.

This car was bought and sold as genuine, but sometimes I wonder. When someone shows exact details of a completely documented pre 505/506 it would sure help confirm. Or maybe they tried different stuff?

TZ 197,
Thanks for sharing. I've never seen a seam like that before. I know the '87-'89's used a technique like that because they had now mounted the oil cooler in the brake vent. Is the other side's brake vent like that?
Hopefully, we can get some other owner's out there with '84 Sonderwunsch's to chime in. Of course, build numbers of these cars are so small that it may take a while to get someone's attention.

Here's a pic of my '85 Sonderwunsch's brake duct/vent taken a while ago.

Werk I Zuffenhausen 3.3l/330BHP Engine with Sonderwunsch Cams, FabSpeed Headers, Kokeln IC, Twin Plugged Electromotive Crankfire, Tial Wastegate(0.8 Bar), K27 Hybrid Turbo, Ruf Twin-tip Muffler, Fikse FM-5's 8&10x17, 8:41 R&P
Old 08-24-2014, 05:12 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #871 (permalink)

TZ 197's Vent Photo

TZ 197-

I think that your 1984 car is starting to show a bit of separation where the inner portion of the vent (fiberglass?) was fit to the steel opening by the body men at Werke1. I have seen similar cracking of the paint at this juncture on a number of the hand built factory cars (prior to 1987) including my own 1984 model. This is normally very slight and is a cosmetic issue and not structural. If slight it can possibly be addressed with professional detailing or of course corrected by prepping and painting.

Dave's 1985 slant looks perfectly smooth in this area (as intended) and may never show where the joining of the materials was fashioned for the vent. When the slant package was moved to the production line in MY87 it was not expedient to hand fashion each vent and Porsche resolved the issue by not bothering to disguise the joint and changed it to essentially a "bolt-on" body piece.
_____
Old 08-24-2014, 10:14 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #872 (permalink)

Now available:  101 Projects for Your Porsche Boxster!

Garage
As always, great information. Please find below some pictures of the documented Factory Slantnose I purchased a few months ago:

Regards,

Slfan
Old 08-26-2014, 05:42 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #873 (permalink)
83 911 Production Cab #10

Garage
LMFT4U... She look good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MT2thDOC View Post
Hey guys, great to find a group of SN fanatics! Posting up a pic of (soon to be mine) very early SN. It was ordered in 6/81 (at the factory) and delivered in 3/82! I will be the 3rd owner, ALL original and only 80,000 Kilometers on the clock! I know the original owner and his stories about this car are GREAT! This is the car at the recent Werks Reunion in Monterey last month. Amazing how many people walked by and said, "oh, after market". We showed the PCA and then got some stares. She is the Euro model and came to the US under a "racing only" title which later got changed. She has never been tracked. Even original paint! Damn, I love driving this car!!

83 911 Production Cab #10, Slightly Modified: Slanted, 3.2, PMO EFI, TECgt, CE 911 CAM Sync / Pulley / Wires, SSI, Dansk Sport 2/2, 17" Euromeister, CKO GT3 Seats, Going SOK Super Charger
Old 09-02-2014, 04:43 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #874 (permalink)

Nose lights

Twin, square lights on the rake. Only on the Euro models as far as I know? Anyone have any info on them?
Old 09-02-2014, 05:02 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #875 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TZ 197 View Post

My car is a Euro pre 505/506 with a model year on chassis code of 1986. It also has the inner valance treatment that you are querying. I have seen it on many cars over here. So far as I could tell, officially 505/506 didn't come into effect until the 'H' model year cars ('G' being 1986 and 'H' being 1987).

1986 911 Turbo SE ('C31')
Old 09-03-2014, 01:35 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #876 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by pkramer View Post
Another question...were the front lower valences (where the oil cooler was mounted on the RoW models) made of steel or fiberglass?

Thanks.

Paul
They were fiberglass. In addition, there were a couple of rather crude fiberglass covers placed in the front trunk area to conceal the oil pipes to the cooler.

On the Turbo SE models they also have the small 'squared-off' side lights next to the indicators/repeaters which pushes the indicator lens out towards the bellows. The rubber trim between the bellows and the indicators is specific to the Turbo SE, as I found out to my cost when I went to replace them.

Old 09-03-2014, 02:43 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #877 (permalink)

My Porsche 930 turbo Slantnose

My Porsche 930 turbo Slantnose 1985
interior:Pearl White, special leather
Old 09-03-2014, 07:01 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #878 (permalink)
Forced Induction Junkie

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 930SE View Post

Very interesting photo. That duct looks like a "prototype" Porsche could have implemented on pre-505/506 cars. If you compare the metal-work on that duct and compare to the production 505/506 cars, it matches where the oil cooler goes.
Old 09-03-2014, 04:31 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #879 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by WERK I View Post
Very interesting photo. That duct looks like a "prototype" Porsche could have implemented on pre-505/506 cars. If you compare the metal-work on that duct and compare to the production 505/506 cars, it matches where the oil cooler goes.
Quite possibly. I have noticed that on the production 505/506 cars, there are three mounting screws for the duct panel (one under each slat) rather than just the two on mine. The 505/506 cars also have the panel in metal whereas mine are fiberglass mouldings.

Old 09-04-2014, 02:40 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #880 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: