Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Technical BBS > 1- Porsche Technical Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 16 votes, 4.25 average.
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Thanks! I love the color on yours...is that chiffon?

One more thing I thought of. I was able to obtain a copy of the EPA certification when my car was imported in 1985. They keep records of these things and will mail you a copy! In my photo link the car was noted as a "935S" which indicated it was a slantnose when imported. With these cars, the more evidence the better! I'd try to get a copy.
Old 08-18-2017, 11:53 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #1201 (permalink)

Awesome and thanks again for the great info! I have the BAR certification but not the EPA paper so will get that and see how it's listed.

Yes mine's Chiffon.
Old 08-18-2017, 12:07 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #1202 (permalink)

One thing that is true.. in the early days 80- roughly 83, it is very hard to say what was included from the factory given what an owner or whomever ordered the car specified on their wish list. Many of the items used even for production 930's were sourced from other models... and some pieces were even out-sourced. Paint to sample was also a very hot item at the time

For instance, the single motor and related mechanism for the pop-up headlights is actually from the 928.. and we know that in Europe, the 928 arrived in 82.

G60SC.. the center console you show in your car is actually a DP or Kremer unit.. and Porsche and both these firms did a lot of work together in those days. The IC looks to be a Garretson or PowerHaus full bay.. something that it would have gotten after it reached these shores.

Again, in the early days of the slant, you pretty much could have gotten whatever you wanted to pay for.
RGruppe #180
So many cars..so little time!!
Old 08-20-2017, 01:04 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #1203 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by onboost View Post
One thing that is true.. in the early days 80- roughly 83, it is very hard to say what was included from the factory given what an owner or whomever ordered the car specified on their wish list. Many of the items used even for production 930's were sourced from other models... and some pieces were even out-sourced. Paint to sample was also a very hot item at the time

For instance, the single motor and related mechanism for the pop-up headlights is actually from the 928.. and we know that in Europe, the 928 arrived in 82.
Onboost, this is exactly the answer that Porsche and Marc gave me when I asked about the headlights on my car. Again, not confirming or denying anything.... 🤦🏼*♂️
Old 08-20-2017, 01:49 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #1204 (permalink)

Thought I'd Chime in. I have posted pics of my "unmolested" 82 Hammerhead. Getting any HARD evidence on these one-offs is nearly impossible. I have posted of my issues with mine. The original owner is still alive and we are still searching for more paperwork. I was told by Porsche classics division reps just what onboost said, it was the wild-west at Werks I. Maybe build sheets some day, who knows.
Mine was imported specifically under a "racing only" title. Due to headlight issues, mainly, it was not considered "street legal" by US DOT. I personally have never seen or heard of one with dual pop-ups. The vents are a completely different issue. Sorry, in my research and opinion, it may be factory but added after (possibly by the factory) the model 82 year.
Yes, I have gotten it from more than one source at Porsche that only 10 were built. Again, mine was originally ordered to race with the thought that the hammerhead added some aerodynamic edge to the car. Other than the hammerhead, it had very little in the way of options as it was going to be stripped to track. Luckily, never got to the track!
Yes, again. Parts were sourced from other places than WERKS I. Speaking to the factory reps in Germany, I was told the valance was fabricated off-site, one at a time. These are fiberglass and Porsche did not have the factory set-up to do this work (at least in 82). This caused a huge backup in the order to delivery time. I've gotten various answers as to how the fenders were fabricated. The 2 most popular answers: 1-"coke" bottles were cut out, new metal welding in, polished then fitted to the car, 2-(my most likely thought)that each set had to be hand fabricated from a "buck" as they made so few they didn't have a model to "stamp" the sheet metal. I think this as the profile is much wider at the bumper than a stock 930. With the amount of work involved to cut, weld, finish...would be easier to hand hammer as so few were made. This was a VERY expensive option. From order to delivery, mine took 9 months to fabricate.
Just my opinion. I know the issues with getting hard documentation. This one would be WAY ahead of the 82 I have as the vents came along later and the pop-ups don't make sense. You can look back to the photo I posted of mine, dual headlights both sides. Porsche reps confirmed in writing that this is how the 82 was built. Certainly not saying not factory, but it's going to have to be documented out the wazoo for me to believe it. Good Luck in getting your paperwork, you'll need it!!
Old 08-22-2017, 01:38 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #1205 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: