Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Technical BBS > 1- Porsche Technical Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Banned

Aftermarket Drip Tank Q's

Hello - many of you out there are using aftermarket drip tanks (like to ones that come with aftermarket headers) - my question is: have any of you had problems with them functioning properly as they are "unvented" . . .

I ask, because I have installed a K27 HyFlow and went with a GSF drip tank since there were fitment issues with the new turbo and the OEM drip tank (I have the OEM headers, however) . . . I had to send the turbo back for repairs as the bearings and turbine shaft were somehow damaged in the first 10 minutes of use (the builder attributed the damage to foreign particles in the oil - strange as this is an overhauled engine built by myself and a very reputable engine builder in the DFW area) . . . right away, the turbo began pumping large amounts of oil into both the turbine and compressor housings . . .

The scavenger pump was "overhauled" and works perfectly and the "check ball" is in place . . .

I'm about to put the whole lot back together and am wondering if I should try the GSF tank again, or wrestle with re-installing the OEM unit (would rather go with the GSF) . . .

Thoughts?

Ronnie
Old 12-21-2008, 08:21 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Well I have used the GSF unit on a few cars and it worked well.
As for the vent, I haven't seen any aftermarket drip-tanks that have the vent. I don't think that the drip tank had anything to do with your turbo popping. Now as for your pump- I would check its scavenging capabilities after the rebuild. I think your problem is in the scavenging.
Take the scavenge line off the bottom of the tank, let the tank piss into a measuring cup, and stick the scavenge line into the measuring cup (carefully while the engine is running), and see if the scavenge pump is being over run by the oil pressure.
If the scavenge pump is toast or cannot handle the turbo, then PowerHaus offers an aftermarket scavenge pump that could drain a pool...
2008 C6/Z51 Corvette
Old 12-21-2008, 09:07 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Banned

Hello and thanks for the input! I performed the scavenger pump test you mentioned when I first encountered the problem and the pump drew oil out of a container at a very rapid rate - will try it again if I have further problems . . .

R
Old 12-21-2008, 09:18 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Banned

Wow, only one person has posted up !!!??? Has anyone else using an aftermarket drip tank ever had a problem with them allowing the turbo to drain properly?

I noticed on another thread that a guy thought his tank was not allowing the turbo to drain properly and added another spout and line to it . . . I would assume that most on here do not perform this modification . . .

Ronnie
Old 12-23-2008, 07:14 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
OFF THE BOOST PIPE NOW...

I've got the GHL headers with their tank and a K27HFS. No problems since day one.

Wish I had more info to post and this might be the case with most.
Old 12-23-2008, 06:16 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Garage
Drip tank should be fine, make sure you prime the turbo well before firing the engine. If it turns a few seconds without good flow the seals will be toast instantly.
Old 12-23-2008, 08:25 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)
Banned

Thank you, men - just the reassurances I was looking for !!!

R
Old 12-24-2008, 08:06 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by A930Rocket View Post
I've got the GHL headers with their tank and a K27HFS. No problems since day one.

Wish I had more info to post and this might be the case with most.
Similar, I have a K27/HF with GHL headers/drip tank and no issues with them at all.
Old 12-25-2008, 01:34 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

I have used a custom catch tank made in Japan.
I did not have a problem with it, but another here mentioned exhactly what I would recommend and allow the turbo to prime. It sounds from what you wrote that your
scavanger is preforming. It's never happend ( thankfully to me yet ) but one might consider
seeing what your oil pressure feed to the turbo is at.

I have heard of seals getting blown
out because there was too much pressure. So far I have yet to have a simulation.
Flow is chritical but having too much pressure can certantly cause problems.
Unless some how a surge was caused buuut. Again it's one of those things that I would have too look at things. It could of just been purely a freak accident and inturnal items were defective or imballenced-

Good luck man.
Old 12-25-2008, 02:16 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)
"I am the liquor..."

Quote:
Originally Posted by 24da13vh61 View Post
there are four things,costume jewelry,handmade jewelry,fashion jewelry and wholesale jewelry,which one do u like ?
Which ever one that you're wearing on your cold dead body...that's the one I like! FECK OFF!
"Ladies and Gentlemen, from Boston Massachusetts, we are Morphine, at your service..." - Mark Sandman (RIP)
Old 12-27-2008, 09:48 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to Chuck Jones
24DA: How did you manage to get nine posts before getting banned? This is a Porsche forum, not a flea market for cheap ****....
Old 12-27-2008, 11:21 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)
one of the great unwashed

It's really not a 930...

But it is a turbo. Without a catch can, I had nothing but trouble with the exhaust side seals. The turbo is an old Rajay, with a pretty restrictive drain, vs, say, the old 3LDZ I have lying around. After several configrations, I basically solved the seal problem with this after-aftermarket catch can (photos are the prototype; I still use it, just with prettier AN lines now).

Now, the 930 has a pretty stout setup with the mechanical scavenge pump (mine is electric), and those K27's and the newer style turbos tend to drain fairly well. As long as you have a good pitch to the can out of the drain, you should be OK. BTW, I don't have a vent from the can...had one, but it would tend to get somewhat messy.

01 Boxster
RIP, Early_S_Man & RoninLB
Old 12-27-2008, 11:43 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Now Available for Ordering:   101 Projects For Your BMW 3 Series 1982-2000  [more info]

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: