Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Technical BBS > 1- Porsche Technical Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Innocent Bystander

Garage
930 rear brake vents....

The previous owner installed rear brake vents on my 930 and I'd like to get rid of them. It doesn't have slant fenders (although I've considered trading my fenders for some) or boxed rockers, so the vents don't really go with the car.

I'm interested in options available for replacing them with sheet metal. I have no reservations using the plasma cutter or the welder but since I'm no professional panel beater, I can't see myself being completely successful fabricating replacement panels with opposing compound curves.

The car's currently disassembled and being preped for paint. Before I shoot it, I'd like to get rid of the vents but I'm not quite sure how to go about it.

Any suggestions on how to patch the holes short of buying rear quarters and cutting the pieces out?

Thanks,
Doug
Old 12-30-2008, 06:20 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Crotchety Old Bastard

Garage
Doug, that would be my directive to add some 13" flairs, ha!

I don't see any way around replacing the quarters so it looks perfect when finished.
Off topic but I have a buddy in Decatur who is looking to buy a 930 if you opt to sell rather than R&R.
Old 12-30-2008, 07:37 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Doug- if your still interested in the fenders let me know hahaha
2008 C6/Z51 Corvette
Old 12-30-2008, 09:07 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Innocent Bystander

Garage
Brian,

Now 13 inch flares are something I hadn't considered! But that would just create a whole new set of issues to be resolved.

As far as selling it, I think I'll just hang on to it for now. If you remember, I bought this car about a year ago while I was in Phoenix doing some work. It's my first Porsche and I've always wanted a 930. I've since brought it back home to Decatur and am having a lot of fun working on it. It's the first car I've owned that I don't feel guilty modifying.

930gt-40r

That was my original solution - find someone who wanted to trade their slant fenders for my originals, throw on a set of boxed rockers, and then the vents wouldn't look out of place.

I guess that's still an option. I had basically talked myself out of that and have since bought three sets of stock 930 rockers and the two stock 930 front valances in an effort to collect good original parts to restore it to it's stock look.

I now have everything I need to do that, I just need to get rid of the vents now. (You know, I do have a set of fiberglass boxed rockers, so if I had some slant fenders.....)

Anyway, the part I enjoy about cars is researching and resolving issues. These vents are just another project waiting for a solution. It's really a shame that shark fins wouldn't cover the vents - then I could fab some fiberglass plugs to fill the vents then put shark fins over them. That way I could just swap out rockers and valances and vents whenever I wanted a different look. Gotta think outside the box you know.

Meanwhile I think I'll keep my eyes open for a set of rear quarters or a set of flares that have enough material to make patch panels from.

But if you guys come up with any more suggestions, I'd love to hear them.

Doug
Old 12-31-2008, 08:39 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Doug,
Assume your vents are the 930S style with the three vanes in place....

- I would just remove the vanes fill the holes, cut off the extension of the vent (the part that extends into the wheel well and covers the oil thermostat on the passenger side. Fab some screen to put on the back side and run the vents like that.

- If you just want the vent gone, and this car is in for a repaint, it shouldn't be a big deal to take that area down to metal. You should see the finished welds where the ven was added, cut it out an replace with proper gauge and contour.

Just my 02 cents..
RGruppe #180
So many cars..so little time!!
Old 12-31-2008, 08:50 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
Innocent Bystander

Garage
onboost,

Yes, they are the 930 S style with the three vanes. I had planned to cut them out with their original flanges intact so if someone wanted to reuse them later, they would be complete. They're actually in great condition. But I don't want to cut until I have something to weld back in their place.

I haven't found any laws in Alabama that say I can't have standard fenders and rockers along with rear vents, so I could just leave them. And I may wind up doing just that - but my personal preference would be to have no vents with my stock fenders and valance.

And everything you said makes perfect sense to me - but it's the "contour" part that's causing my hesitation. All those actions require a certain skill set and I don't know if I have the ones necessary to fab the patch panels without relying on a ton of filler. I could glass them in and no one would ever know it but me, but I'd rather weld in some fresh metal if it's feasible.

Now if you have more confidence in your "contouring" skills, I'm sure we could make a deal!
Old 12-31-2008, 09:27 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Now Available for Ordering:   101 Projects For Your BMW 3 Series 1982-2000  [more info]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Smith View Post
onboost,

Yes, they are the 930 S style with the three vanes.

I haven't found any laws in Alabama that say I can't have standard fenders and rockers along with rear vents, so I could just leave them. And I may wind up doing just that - but my personal preference would be to have no vents with my stock fenders and valance.

And everything you said makes perfect sense to me - but it's the "contour" part that's causing my hesitation. All those actions require a certain skill set and I don't know if I have the ones necessary to fab the patch panels without relying on a ton of filler. I could glass them in and no one would ever know it but me, but I'd rather weld in some fresh metal if it's feasible.

Now if you have more confidence in your "contouring" skills, I'm sure we could make a deal!
I've got some contouring skills but no time an minimal space at this point!

I was under the impression that you didn't like the look. In that case I would just leave them. There are a number of Turbo & Turbo body cars around that have the vents but not the rockers etc. You could order them that wat from Porsche back in the day if that's what you wanted.

If you don't feel comfortable working the metal, I would find a competent bodyshop in your area and let them have at it. I would definitely not fiberglass them.
RGruppe #180
So many cars..so little time!!
Old 12-31-2008, 10:17 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
Innocent Bystander

Garage
I'm not opposed to the look, but given the choice, I'd prfer not to have them. But, if I don't find some suitable metal panels soon, I will just leave them there. I'm almost ready to shoot and I'm not patient enough to wait too much longer.

But if I do leave them there, I'll probably pursue finding some slant fenders again.

Did I mention I have a difficult time making a decision? Maybe that's why the car is still completely disassembled....
Old 12-31-2008, 10:36 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)
OFF THE BOOST PIPE NOW...

I think it's a good look with or without the slantnose fenders/rockers.

By leaving them in, it gives you the option of adding the slantnose fenders later for a good look IMHO.
Old 12-31-2008, 06:05 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

vents

my car had the slope nose fenders with boxed rocker and vents. i traded the fenders for regular fenders and removed the boxed rockers...never considered filling in the vent area!
Old 12-31-2008, 08:09 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)
Innocent Bystander

Garage
A930Rocket, You're right, it would leave my options open. Sometimes I think I really would like to convert to a slant nose. If I ever actually did, I'd regret having taken them out.

lin7310948, Beautiful car. You guys have convinced me - maybe convinced is not the right term but, you've helped me realize that the vents are not a negative aspect with either configuration.

So, I'm going to move forward with my paint work and get this car back on the road.

Thanks for helping me keep things in perspective.

And Happy New Year to you all.

Doug
Old 01-01-2009, 05:01 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: