Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Wtb 1976 930

Hello everybody,
New to this forum, but have enjoyed lurking. I am looking for an unmolested, original 1976 930. I have been searching the usual places, so if anybody has any leads please email me.

Thank you
Tom

tdegorter@gmail.com

Old 01-06-2009, 11:02 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Registered

Sounds like a good choice to me!

Those cars are supposed to become more sought after because of limited production numbers.
Old 01-06-2009, 11:03 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Non User

Garage
I have a 76, but nfs. Hanging around here is dangerous, especially when you start to see all these 78+ guys with their big cylinders, big intercoolers, and big brakes (do I sound jealous?). Be sure you are aware of the differences and that upgrading a 76 will require a little more $ and fab if you start down that path.

I think 76 has the sexiest tail... everything looks just right...
'76 Turbo Carrera #311 - Factory LSD, Sport Seats
'75 914 GT clone project
'71 914 track car
Old 01-08-2009, 10:18 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

infra,
I'm in SoCal too. I would love to see your car sometime. Where are you?
Old 01-08-2009, 10:57 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
Blackbird Pilot

Tomdeg there is a car on Rennlist, its a 1979 but in great shape...
http://forums.rennlist.com/rennforums/911-turbo-930-forum/472533-for-sale-79-930-polar-silver.html
Old 01-08-2009, 11:25 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by infraredcalvin View Post
I have a 76, but nfs. Hanging around here is dangerous, especially when you start to see all these 78+ guys with their big cylinders, big intercoolers, and big brakes (do I sound jealous?). Be sure you are aware of the differences and that upgrading a 76 will require a little more $ and fab if you start down that path.

Yes, but from a collector point of view buying an unmolested example, the 1976 is the rare bird in the 930 family.

So it all depends on what the buyer is looking for.
Old 01-09-2009, 06:14 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

cycling has-been

Beware - many different definitions of the word 'unmolested' out there.
It took me the better part of 3 years to find my 'unmolested' 1977, even though the sound system had been replaced with an alpine (now back to original Bamberg)

Bill K
Old 01-09-2009, 08:59 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
Non User

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomdeg View Post
infra,
I'm in SoCal too. I would love to see your car sometime. Where are you?
I'm in Ladera Ranch, just over the hill from San Juan Capistrano. My car is definitely a work in progress, but I love it. Let me know where you are and I'll be happy to meet up.

Pat
'75 914 GT clone project
'71 914 track car
Old 01-10-2009, 06:39 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

PM sent
Old 01-11-2009, 08:45 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Weight bias on a 1976 930 is better ,because motor is 2.75 inches forward and it's lighter.I've had both ,the 78 930 felt like a early SWB car were the 76 has more balance.
Old 01-11-2009, 09:26 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)
Registered

Quote:

I'm sort of confused. Mate of mine had the hots for the 76-77 3.0 930's as well, and whilst I agree they look nice/are more rare, the chocolate brakes, less power and lack of intercooler are hardly items in the "pro" column for me.

But if you're going to fit a big bore kit, intercooler and late brakes, it's hardly "unmolested" then, is it? And all that does is get it to the base spec of a '78 and up 930?

So why wouldn't you start with one of those?
Old 01-11-2009, 12:17 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)
Registered

He's a different guy than the one who started the thread and wanted the unmolested 930. I doubt he's going to upgrade that stuff, and if he does i agree there is no point in looking for an "unmolested one". Either way i like every 930
14 BMW M5 6spd Stick
06 Cayenne S 🌝 miles 1982 928 S 5spd :-)
Old 01-11-2009, 12:30 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Correct. I would like to find one bone stock.
Old 01-11-2009, 03:55 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

tomdeg: There was one on Samba for sale,it was in Santa Barbara area. Even 10 years ago they were hard to find, good luck on your hunt.
Old 01-11-2009, 04:11 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

I have a '76 930 also and love it. Actually I fell into it, I was looking for any 930 and this one looked like a good car so I bought it without knowing much about the early cars. After I learned more about the '76-'77s I am very glad to have an early car. The brakes aren't a big deal for me since I don't race it and it has some engine upgrades to keep up with the later cars. I have a 3.3 tail because a PO add an intercooler. I prefer the early tail as someone else has said, it looks like it fits the car better, re-configuring the intercooler to fit the early tail is something I will get to someday.

As I learn more about these great cars, I don't understand why they are not already highly collectible and much more valuable. I have dealt with vintage Mustangs for years and limited production cars such as Boss 302s bring $50-$100k and they made 7000 of them in '70, not very limited in my opinion. The 930 was one of the fastest cars available anywhere, and with only 530 in the US, they should be worth much more than they bring currently.

A question I have is, I have seen some references to the '75-'77 930, was there a '75 930 sold to the public, was it ROW only, or cars built in '75 as '76 models?

Paul
Old 01-11-2009, 06:45 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by clexton1 View Post
A question I have is, I have seen some references to the '75-'77 930, was there a '75 930 sold to the public, was it ROW only, or cars built in '75 as '76 models?
I believe they originally needed to build some for homologation purposes (e.g. like the Carrera 2.7 RS), so the factory could go racing with a car derived from a road-going model, instead of the Prototype classes, but the rules changed.

As they'd developed it anyway, they originally sold a limited run (500?) to "friends of the factory", e.g. by invitation only. Same way you get offered an Enzo. They debuted at the Paris Auto Show in 1974, and was just badged "turbo" in Europe.

I think to their surprise, they sold well. So they kept building them.

Export to the US didn't start until the 1976 MY, which explains why there's very few 1975 models in the US.
Old 01-11-2009, 07:33 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)
Non User

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by spuggy View Post
I'm sort of confused. Mate of mine had the hots for the 76-77 3.0 930's as well, and whilst I agree they look nice/are more rare, the chocolate brakes, less power and lack of intercooler are hardly items in the "pro" column for me.

But if you're going to fit a big bore kit, intercooler and late brakes, it's hardly "unmolested" then, is it? And all that does is get it to the base spec of a '78 and up 930?

So why wouldn't you start with one of those?
Getting one that is "unmolested" means that some joker hasn't gone in and done something to ruin the car. It also means that you have all the parts to put it back to bone stock if you ever want to.

As I said above, I love the whale tail look rather than the tea tray look. But I drive my cars rather spirited (occasional DE and autocross as well) and my car generates A LOT of heat in the back (another upgrade to consider is the fender oil cooler). I know that I will be cracking open the case some day (hopefully not too soon). So, while I'm in there, why not do a few bolt on goodies to get more out of her? Well then I start thinking, if I make her go faster, I gotta make her stop faster... get the picture???

Anyway, I keep all my original parts, even the broken ones, I hang around too many collectors and know the value of having all the original parts when selling (even if they are not all installed on the car). I hope I never have to sell my car, but it's good piece of mind for me.
'75 914 GT clone project
'71 914 track car
Old 01-12-2009, 07:31 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to Chuck Jones
Calvin: For that very reason, I've been buying up parts for the 87-89 930 and have a pretty good inventory of extra doo-dads for the CIS system, fuel pumps, elctrical parts, relays, etc. The parts are getting harder to find although if you stake out eBay and know what you're looking for, you can eventually find them. I've kept and cleaned up and refurbished every part I've ever taken off or replace with an upgrade from my car. I've never messed with the internals, but if and when the time comes, I can retro it to flat out original....but in the meantime, it's much more fun to drive with the enhancements even tho I've kept it as CIS.

At one point I was seriously considering selling the 930, but now that I have both the air and water cooled varieties, I enjoy the considerable differences between the two and appreciate what each brings to the table.
Old 01-12-2009, 10:17 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)
Adrenaline Junkie

Garage
Quote:

I thoroughly agree!

Old 01-12-2009, 10:18 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: