Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Replaced Turbo - electrical gremlin...

I replaced the rebuilt KKK27 yesterday and with the bumper off and the engine hood open, ran perfect. Idle was perfect, no issues at all. Closed the hood and engine died. Tried to start with hood down - would not start. Open hood started just fine again - closed hood while running sputter, small burp and died. Opened hood again and started.... again... there is no way that not having the rear bumper on and the engine hood open is causing this... is there??? - Ryan

1982 930
Old 01-12-2009, 09:22 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
sudo apt-get purge 930

Do you have an alarm on the car with an engine deck switch?

"Worrying about depreciation on your car and keeping mileage down is like not ****ing your girlfriend so her next boyfriend finds her more appealing"
--clutch-monkey
Old 01-12-2009, 09:30 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
Could it be a vacuum leak in the turbo track (o ring, etc.)?
When you close the hood you may be putting pressure on the intercooler and introducing a leak?

Just trying to think of a non electric reason for the stalling...

1988 930 coupe - Silver Metallic
3.3L w/GT35R, B&B Headers, RarlyL8 muffler, TurboKraft IC, Tial WG, tecGT based phased sequential EFI & ignition, Wevo shifter/coupler, ...
Old 01-12-2009, 02:51 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Two possible stalling ssues when closing the rear deck, you may be pinching an intercooler o-ring and introducing a vacuum leak. Another may be that the intercooler sealing is too good and you are losing the ground on your overboost sensor, you may need to ground the overboost sensor with an added wire. Keep us posted on your findings.
Peugeot moped
Old 01-12-2009, 03:21 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
89 930.

Garage
Is your wife in the car turning it on and off?

Mine likes to mess with my mind like that.
Old 01-12-2009, 03:54 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

I really appreciate all of the responses - thank all of you very much.

Benny771 - Negative - she is not allowed in the Blue car - does get to drive the 996 - so all is well.

William and s5uewf - this is interesting - I had initially forgotten to tighten the hose clamps from the intercooler to the compressor side of the turbo which I found after it would not start initially - however after I did so, it started (with the hood open). When I originally removed the intercooler (koklen) I found that the O-ring around the neck of the "throttle body" was torn and replaced it so that should be fine. I was curious however about the two leads under and to the rear of the intercooler - one of them has a rubber bladder over it and the other is to the right of that one and looks to be sililar to a temperature or pressure switch - any insight into specifically what they are? I would like to investigate them further. Also, I cannot imagine that there is any issue with "seating" of the intercooler as it is rock solid at the mounting points and zero movement.

equality72521 - I am really going to look into this - an interesting thing happened last night. I started the car with the hood up then slowly closed it with the car running until it latched and she did not stall - drove it around the block and all was well. Then for yucks, I opened the hood and "Drop closed" it as I usually do and it stalled.... arrrrgh. To answer your question, yes - it is wired for a factory alarm as well as an antique "clifford" alarm - both of which have long ago been disconnected (well before I became the current custodian of her 5 years ago) so even though they are there I have never had any issues related to them before.
1982 930
Old 01-13-2009, 04:59 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Forced Induction Junkie

Garage
Check to see if there is any hoses or cables hitting the over-boost switch connector when you close the hood.
Werk I Zuffenhausen 3.3l/330BHP Engine with Sonderwunsch Cams, FabSpeed Headers, Kokeln IC, Twin Plugged Electromotive Crankfire, Tial Wastegate(0.8 Bar), K27 Hybrid Turbo, Ruf Twin-tip Muffler, Fikse FM-5's 8&10x17, 8:41 R&P
Old 01-13-2009, 06:19 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Dave - looks like we have the same intercooler - which of the two electrical connections on the intercooler is the "Over boost" switch? Now that you say that, I actually think I did see the boost gage peg one of the times just before it shut down! THANK YOU! - Ryan
1982 930
Old 01-13-2009, 07:26 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)
Forced Induction Junkie

Garage
The big one with the red or orange rubber boot on it is the sender for the factory boost gauge. The other one is a single spade connector that is off the pressure switch....this wire is nothing more than a ground lead that completes a circuit that allows the fuel pumps to run. Runs off the over-boost/fuel pump relay located behind the plastic panel in the left-side engine bay.

Make sure you have a good ground connection between the IC and the engine. I ran a copper ground strap from the IC mount to an area near the rear engine tin or shroud to insure consistent grounding.
Werk I Zuffenhausen 3.3l/330BHP Engine with Sonderwunsch Cams, FabSpeed Headers, Kokeln IC, Twin Plugged Electromotive Crankfire, Tial Wastegate(0.8 Bar), K27 Hybrid Turbo, Ruf Twin-tip Muffler, Fikse FM-5's 8&10x17, 8:41 R&P
Old 01-13-2009, 07:56 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

P E R F E C T ! - thank you - I will investigate - think this is my issue! Much appreciated Dave - and all that have helped. - Ryan
1982 930
Old 01-13-2009, 08:09 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by 550SPYDER View Post
I really appreciate all of the responses - thank all of you very much. (I became the current custodian of her 5 years ago).
Hey Ryan..

I can't believe it's been that long already!!

Check also on the upper left side of your engine compartment that your hinges or hood shocks aren't fouling or making contact with anything that may be running in that area. Don't think the issue is vacuum related.. obviously electrical.

All the best..
RGruppe #180
So many cars.. so little time!!
Old 01-13-2009, 12:20 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Hey Paul - indeed - time flies! I am in Florida rest of this week and next but will be working on it when I return - time is my enemy. Thanks again for the help! Any update on the Purple People Eater? Did she end up in Germany? - Ryan
1982 930
Old 01-13-2009, 01:56 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)
Registered

Fla is a nice place to be for the week... Texas even from where I sit. It's between 18- 22 degress here in the Wash DC surrounding area today.. this week, etc..! I'm freezing my azz-off and there ain't know work getting done on my car.. and yes time is my enemy too!

No update on the Purple People Eater as yet, have not spoken to the widow in some time. She is actually on my "to call" list just to see how she's doing.. will let you know when we speak!

Paul
RGruppe #180
Old 01-14-2009, 09:41 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

Paul - FLA was nice, could have done without the cold front BLOWING through Vero on Thurs and Fri... but was nice. Keep me posted on the PPEater.

Going to try and tackle my electronic issue on Sat - anyone have a wiring diagram on the boost gauge and pressure switch? In case I find a flopping wire somewhere?
1982 930
Old 01-22-2009, 09:22 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)
Registered

Ryan,

Yeah I heard it was cold down that way too..
I had thoughts of coming down for Cavallino at the Breakers but between the weather and my need to finish a couple of cars.. it's not going to happen! I'm looking forward to a Friday/Sat thaw that will let me get some hours in!

Those diagrams are here on the board somewhere as I remember them being posted awhile back.

Will keep you posted when I talk to the widow..!

Paul
RGruppe #180
Old 01-22-2009, 09:30 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)

IS THIS RIGHT? Below are 2 pictures one is of the sensors that are connected to my Koklen intercooler. After I had a chance to trace the wires, THEY ARE BOTH CONNECTED TO THE COIL - is that right? There are no other wires connected to the intercooler.... For what it is worth, the wire that goes to the boost gage is connected to the side of the coil closest to the rear bumper and the wire that is connected to the pressure switch. Which I guess means that I am getting boost readings from somewhere else????

1982 930
Old 01-24-2009, 08:01 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)
Forced Induction Junkie

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 550SPYDER View Post
IS THIS RIGHT? Below are 2 pictures one is of the sensors that are connected to my Koklen intercooler. After I had a chance to trace the wires, THEY ARE BOTH CONNECTED TO THE COIL - is that right? There are no other wires connected to the intercooler.... For what it is worth, the wire that goes to the boost gage is connected to the side of the coil closest to the rear bumper and the wire that is connected to the pressure switch. Which I guess means that I am getting boost readings from somewhere else????
In a word, NO. Both wires feeding the pressure switch and the boost sensor should come off the engine wire harness. The boost sensor, is nothing more than a variable resistor, just like the oil pressure sensor. The boost gauge is nothing more than volt meter reading the varying voltage drop across the boost sensor.
The boost switch is just that. It is normally closed, which completes the ground circuit feeding the overboost relay. When the boost limit is reached the switch opens, breaking ground, causing the overboost relay to trip.

Both the switch and the sensor use chassis ground (which the frame of IC should be) as one part of the circuit. The two wires coming off the main harness is the other part of the circuit.
Old 01-24-2009, 09:31 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)

well crap....
1982 930
Old 01-26-2009, 12:07 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)
Manassas, VA

Garage
Dave,
Any idea what the second connector post on the Charge Air Pressure Sensor is for? The schematics do not show another external connection. Could it be another ground connection?

Mark
Old 01-26-2009, 04:10 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)
Forced Induction Junkie

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by lucittm View Post
Dave,
Any idea what the second connector post on the Charge Air Pressure Sensor is for? The schematics do not show another external connection. Could it be another ground connection?

Mark
Could be. I never measured the resistance or voltage when the engine is running.

Old 01-26-2009, 04:46 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #20 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: