Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Question 930 Emissions, How are they doing it?

I have a super nice 930 with lots of nice mods.
EFI, 3.4 upgrage, Twin Plugs, Custom Exhaust, inter-cooler.
AEM Programable ECU.
I look at all the 930 turbos on Ebay and none of them have catalytics on them.
How are you all getting past IM with no cat?
Does anyone have the AEM system and know if I can de-tune the car to pass without a Cat?

Old 01-23-2009, 11:52 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Garage Queen

Garage
Some states such as South Carolina don't require any emissions tests or inspections at all so we can get away with not having cats. Some states don't require any tests if the car is over 20 yrs old. Those cars probably come from states with those laws.
Old 01-23-2009, 12:07 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
OFF THE BOOST PIPE NOW...

Hey PorscheGal, what part of SC are you from? I'm in mt pleasant (charleston). TimC is in mt pleasant as well.

Quote:
Some states such as South Carolina don't require any emissions tests or inspections at all so we can get away with not having cats. Some states don't require any tests if the car is over 20 yrs old. Those cars probably come from states with those laws.

Last edited by A930Rocket; 01-24-2009 at 04:20 AM..
Old 01-23-2009, 01:25 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Non User

Garage
I've got a 76 with no cats, and have to get my first smog. I bought the car 2 years ago with the same exhaust, so somehow the PO was able to get it smogged.

My 914 has an empty cat can, most of the shops had no clue what they were looking at, so as long as it passed the tailpipe test, I never had any problems.

I'll see how the 930 does though...
'76 Turbo Carrera #311 - Factory LSD, Sport Seats
'75 914 GT clone project
'71 914 track car
Old 01-23-2009, 07:41 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to Chuck Jones
I have my cat and muffler on loan to another fellow faced with the same issue. I had the same problem when I bought my 87. The fellow had a Calif smog cert. that said OK...but when I took it in, there was no cat...so I flunked. I then went out and purchased a nearly new cat and muffler for the 87-89 930S and passed....so I loan it out to responsible folks. Right now it's in the mid west doing it's thing...but if you have some time and are willing to pay the shipping, I can send it to you. I need it once every two years.

The problem becomes one of what sort of exhaust system are you running. Is it modified to the point where the OEM unit won't bolt up to the exhaust system? If you have different turbos and flanges, then I don't know what to tell you.
Old 01-23-2009, 07:48 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
Macht Schnell

Or find a Hot Rod Friendly Inspection Center.
---Les Garten---85 930, Andial IC, GHL Headers, Fabspeed Dual, K-27 HF2, 3.4 JE Full Finned 7.5:1 CR, 964 CAM'd, Carerra 3.2 Manifold Cut/Flipped, Tec3r, Siemans 55#, GSF Fuel Rails, Clewett Crank Trigger, Clewett Cam Trigger,Dual Plugged, ARP Head Studs/Rod Bolts, Clewett Wires.Tial 46mm WG, Tial 50mm BOV, WEVO Shifter,934 Boost Gauge, Wideband EGO Sensor/Gauge, C2T Head Gaskets, '88 MB 300TE,BMW R100RT
Old 01-23-2009, 10:32 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Registered

My car passed the Georgia test with no cat. The tech used a mirror on a stick to look for a modified exhaust but he was looking under the passenger compartment. I got the car & turbo very hot with a long drive on the Interstate and multiple full boost 2nd gear pulls before I put it on the rollers.
Old 01-24-2009, 05:18 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to Chuck Jones
I didn't get mine hot when I took it in, but the tech mistook the stainless muffler for the cat even tho there was no cat on there....and I flunked the emissions part, but passed the visual. I also had some CARB exemption stickers on there for the MSD CDI box that replaced the Bosche unit....so they figured I had the necessary CARB exemptions. This only works if you find a shop that's unfamiliar with P cars. You're shafted if it goes to a referee. I had to tear off the muffler and put in a stock cat and muffler and got thru just fine.

Insofar as "friendlies" go....they're hard to find and becoming harder as enforcement increases along with more emphasis on "green" and with the centralized computer system, once you fail, the database is flagged as a failure....makes the next round a bit more dicey to get thru. The main problem occurs if it gets referred to a referee....they usually know what to look for...
Old 01-24-2009, 07:06 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)
Driver

Garage
To the OP: unless you find someone in your home state, this question is worthless to ask on the internet. Or, at least it's worthless for people to post advice without listing in what state they live. Every state is going to have different rules and limits. Heck, when I lived in Oregon, smog rules even differed depending on what part of the state you lived in. If you're in Utah (?), go ask a car guy neighbor, Porsche mechanic, or someone from your local PCA chapter what your rules are. Of course, if you need help getting parts, then this is a place for that.
Old 01-24-2009, 07:12 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by UtahRuf View Post
I have a super nice 930 with lots of nice mods.
EFI, 3.4 upgrage, Twin Plugs, Custom Exhaust, inter-cooler.
AEM Programable ECU.
I look at all the 930 turbos on Ebay and none of them have catalytics on them.
How are you all getting past IM with no cat?
Does anyone have the AEM system and know if I can de-tune the car to pass without a Cat?
My list on passing hot rodded 930 with big cams:

1) Find friendly place
2) unplug and injector or two
3) on 1/8th of tank, dump a 6 pack of dry-gas into it
4) unplug o2 sensor
5) turn down fuel pressure

Finally- car will run like a bag of **** and throw out emission numbers that a Prius would be envious of.
The only problem I have ever had was the emissions computer telling me that the sniffer was not in the tail pipe because there was not enough emissions coming out.

2008 C6/Z51 Corvette
Old 01-25-2009, 01:13 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: