Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Low Speed, High Drag

Garage
I always carry my service weapon if that counts.

Old 01-25-2009, 02:15 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #41 (permalink)

COOL , THanks; I'm ''aviation Industry" , and my favorite car is Porsche 930 , My Ultimate "Airframe " always the "Blackbird" etc, and "tools" or firearmes , . always had ''empathy'' for all the ''Exotics" , HK , Fal , Uz, Gk, gHmb , etc, cetc etc . "So I'm In the right place!!!!"" gracias', Dave
Old 01-25-2009, 06:51 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #42 (permalink)
Manassas, VA

Garage
This is an interesting thread. I assume you mean 930 AND 965 owners...
Since my name is Mark and I have a "Permit to Carry a Concealed Handgun". Virginia has the right idea. Clear the police background check, pay your $50 fee, swear an oath, and you are good to go. Took one day.
I build my own .45 ACP and I reload my own ammo. Is it any wonder I work on my own 965...

Mark
Old 01-26-2009, 08:11 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #43 (permalink)
Me like track days

Perhaps there is a correlation between 930s and guns - the "badass aspect" of both?
Old 01-26-2009, 09:24 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #44 (permalink)
Infidel

Not allowed to carry guns in the UK so i have to make do with this

87 930, 993 turbo engine, RS Tuning 520PS/515lbf-ft, Arrow Rods, ARP hardware, Solid lifters, G50-50, RS Flywheel, 890nm Sachs clutch, RSR coil overs all round, 993 C4 calipers front, 930 fronts on the rear, Ruf Speedlines.....
Old 540 BMW, XB12S Modified, for being a total hooligan
Old 01-26-2009, 10:11 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #45 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to Chuck Jones
To be perfectly honest....I think that some folks are flat out dangerous with a concealed weapon....just as some are flat out dangerous driving a Porsche like an idiot thru traffic.

When a person carries a weapon, he/she can develop a reliance on the fact they're "packing"
and use the enhanced self-image to get into situations that they might not otherwise get into. In other words they'd have a tendency to use their head rather than draw a gun to equalize the situation. Although the Constitution contains language that your right to own a weapon "shall not be infringed".....some people are just not emotionally stable enough to be trusted with one.

Someone mentioned background checks. What exactly do they look into? Usually a quick records check to see if you have had any felony arrests.....well the feds supercede the state regulations with language that if you've ever been convicted of a domestic violence offense, even if the offense was a misdemeanor.....you are in a prohibited group. Ever notice on the questionnaire you fill out when you go to buy a gun...."Ever been convicted of an offense involving domestic violence?" That's just one instance....but there are others. For instance folks who have been committed to a mental institution.

I guess what I'm trying to say without invoking the collective wrath of the cyber lynch mob is that there are folks running around out there who are drunks, do heavy drugs etc...who are packing with a CCW permit...and they're dangerous. There's a saying amongst the law enforcement community that....Your badge only covers so much of your A$$. If you have a gun and pull it...you are in a situation where you're either forced to use it or stick it up your A$$. All this bravado about shoot to kill, using big bore weapons, hollow nosed rounds, armor piercing etc is fine in a combat situation....but on the street it can easily evolve to getting into situations that you might not find yourself in if you didn't have the false sense of security.

I don't deny that there are those instances and neighborhoods or areas where it's good to have a backup....but for the most part, most of the folks on this forum dont' live there.

I know I'm going to get flamed....but the fact remains that too many folks couldn't hit a bull in the A$$ with a banjo...and they're out there carrying a gun with little or no training and sometimes even less common sense.
Old 01-26-2009, 10:42 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #46 (permalink)

sudo apt-get purge 930

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck Jones View Post
To be perfectly honest....I think that some folks are flat out dangerous with a concealed weapon....just as some are flat out dangerous driving a Porsche like an idiot thru traffic.

When a person carries a weapon, he/she can develop a reliance on the fact they're "packing"
and use the enhanced self-image to get into situations that they might not otherwise get into. In other words they'd have a tendency to use their head rather than draw a gun to equalize the situation. Although the Constitution contains language that your right to own a weapon "shall not be infringed".....some people are just not emotionally stable enough to be trusted with one.

Someone mentioned background checks. What exactly do they look into? Usually a quick records check to see if you have had any felony arrests.....well the feds supercede the state regulations with language that if you've ever been convicted of a domestic violence offense, even if the offense was a misdemeanor.....you are in a prohibited group. Ever notice on the questionnaire you fill out when you go to buy a gun...."Ever been convicted of an offense involving domestic violence?" That's just one instance....but there are others. For instance folks who have been committed to a mental institution.

I guess what I'm trying to say without invoking the collective wrath of the cyber lynch mob is that there are folks running around out there who are drunks, do heavy drugs etc...who are packing with a CCW permit...and they're dangerous. There's a saying amongst the law enforcement community that....Your badge only covers so much of your A$$. If you have a gun and pull it...you are in a situation where you're either forced to use it or stick it up your A$$. All this bravado about shoot to kill, using big bore weapons, hollow nosed rounds, armor piercing etc is fine in a combat situation....but on the street it can easily evolve to getting into situations that you might not find yourself in if you didn't have the false sense of security.

I don't deny that there are those instances and neighborhoods or areas where it's good to have a backup....but for the most part, most of the folks on this forum dont' live there.

I know I'm going to get flamed....but the fact remains that too many folks couldn't hit a bull in the A$$ with a banjo...and they're out there carrying a gun with little or no training and sometimes even less common sense.
You're absolutlety right. I think we should always have the "right" to bear arms but I think we need to make it far more difficult to get guns and a CCW. I think there should be far more classes required and mental evaluations yearly. Too many people can pass the 8 hour course required once and then pay there fees to renew. What many/most people who carry don't understand is the complete implications of carrying. When you decide to carry you must understand and be willing to accept the consequences of your actions, including jail time if you are wrong.

"Worrying about depreciation on your car and keeping mileage down is like not ****ing your girlfriend so her next boyfriend finds her more appealing"
--clutch-monkey
Old 01-26-2009, 10:52 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #47 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by equality72521 View Post
You're absolutlety right. I think we should always have the "right" to bear arms but I think we need to make it far more difficult to get guns and a CCW. I think there should be far more classes required and mental evaluations yearly. Too many people can pass the 8 hour course required once and then pay there fees to renew. What many/most people who carry don't understand is the complete implications of carrying. When you decide to carry you must understand and be willing to accept the consequences of your actions, including jail time if you are wrong.
Don't worry. Obama will fix all that for you soon.

All I have to say is the less decisions that the government makes for me or other people, the better. You will always have the outer edges of the bell curve to deal with in any situation- making the middle of the curve suffer for it isn't right IMO.
Old 01-26-2009, 11:05 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #48 (permalink)
sudo apt-get purge 930

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimCulp View Post
Don't worry. Obama will fix all that for you soon.

All I have to say is the less decisions that the government makes for me or other people, the better. You will always have the outer edges of the bell curve to deal with in any situation- making the middle of the curve suffer for it isn't right IMO.
I don't think it's too much to ask. You wouldn't let a pilot fly a commercial jet with 200 passengers with only 8 hours of training would you?

"Worrying about depreciation on your car and keeping mileage down is like not ****ing your girlfriend so her next boyfriend finds her more appealing"
--clutch-monkey
Old 01-26-2009, 11:28 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #49 (permalink)
sudo apt-get purge 930

Oh, and it's not simply Obama that will fix it. It will be a large part of the liberal thinking country along with anyone who has lost a loved one to guns, both liberal and conservative who knee-jerk to ban said guns.

--clutch-monkey
Old 01-26-2009, 11:30 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #50 (permalink)

Quote:
I don't think it's too much to ask. You wouldn't let a pilot fly a commercial jet with 200 passengers with only 8 hours of training would you?
Not seeing the correlation. Sorry. Do you have to train for 8 hours before buying steak knives?
Old 01-26-2009, 11:56 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #51 (permalink)

Send a message via Yahoo to full quack
And here I though I was asking a simple yes or no question, just for fun. Silly me!

Next time I'll put in a qualifier that states, "No soap boxing please."

Better yet, with hindsight being 20/20, I should have foreseen this outcome. Next time I'll just keep it "Concealed" with the knowledge that I've been handling firearms since I was 6. I've been to firearm safety classes, firearm self defense classes, been a range master, worked in the prison system & go to the range twice a month & have since the early 80's. So yes, I can hit the broadside of a barn, and no my wallet is not worth pulling out my Colt for. Hell since owning a 930, there is no money in my wallet anyway!

Man, I'd hate to see what I'd get for starting the debate over Guards red vs Black! Sheeez......

Mark

Last edited by full quack; 01-26-2009 at 11:59 AM.. Reason: spelling
Old 01-26-2009, 11:56 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #52 (permalink)

sudo apt-get purge 930

Quote:
Not seeing the correlation. Sorry.
Then there's nothing else to say on this topic.

--clutch-monkey
Old 01-26-2009, 12:05 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #53 (permalink)

Quote:
Then there's nothing else to say on this topic.
Wait! Let's talk about religion!
Old 01-26-2009, 12:20 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #54 (permalink)
sudo apt-get purge 930

Quote:
Wait! Let's talk about religion!
(In my best Scooby Doo voice) Ruh Row Raggy!

--clutch-monkey
Old 01-26-2009, 12:31 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #55 (permalink)

Send a message via Yahoo to full quack
Please Jim..........Ohhhh Nooooooo...........don't even go there.

Lets just all agree to disagree and drop this thread, call it dead, kaput, finished!

Now I have already done this, so everybody else just go to the black board and write a thousand times,

I will only discuss 930 stuff
I will only discuss 930 stuff......

Mark
Old 01-26-2009, 01:02 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #56 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to Chuck Jones
Quack: I believe that the person who starts the thread has the ability to CLOSE it!. At least it works that way on some of the forums.
Old 01-26-2009, 01:05 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #57 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by full quack View Post
Please Jim..........Ohhhh Nooooooo...........don't even go there.

Lets just all agree to disagree and drop this thread, call it dead, kaput, finished!

Now I have already done this, so everybody else just go to the black board and write a thousand times,

I will only discuss 930 stuff......

Mark
Mark,

It's okay. Don't feel like you need to obey some sanitized viewpoint to appease the wine and cheese crowd. This is not the place for censorship.

The vast majority of people here are not uptight.
Old 01-26-2009, 04:33 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #58 (permalink)
"O Gruppe 13"

Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to IDGAF27
Quote:
Originally Posted by juicersr View Post
Why stop there?: Czech made AK-47
.are you out of your mind?!? or it is some joke !?

run google to find where AK47 is made and if nothing comes up, try A.Kalashnikov
- might be that will ring the bell.

...do I carry a gun or gave a permit?! F@%$ NO !

......and BTW totally agree, this thread belong in "OT"
Old 01-26-2009, 06:26 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #59 (permalink)
Blackbird Pilot

I agree totally with you Chuck, its all about training and mental state. Having a gun doesn't make you tougher or smarter, it just amplifies the concequnces of what you do. And I'd like to think that both myself and my father are rational and logical people who don't let that go to our heads.

The main fact is that should the worst happen where its not as easy as giving up a watch, car keys or wallet we are prepared. But it is important to know that an untrained person with a gun is more dangerous to themselves and others than if they didn't have it in the first place.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck Jones View Post

Old 01-27-2009, 02:13 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #60 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: