Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Smart quod bastardus

Garage
lower front spoiler oil cooler screen

Hello,
I am going to be painting and installing a front lower spoiler/valence on my 1979 930 turbo in place of the OEM metal fender lip.
Basically it is an RSR style lower spoiler that bolts to the standard front bumper, and it has a large oil cooler opening which I need to cover with a mesh screen to protect the oil cooler.
Can anyone give me information on a supplier they used to obtain this mesh and whether it is plastic or metal.
If you have photos of the screen so that I can see it in detail that would be a great addition to this post.
Want to find something that is gonna allow good airflow but also good impact protection for the front center mount cooler.
Opening in my valence is about 23.5 wide by 6 deep

1979 930 Turbo....3.4L, 7.5to1 comp, SC cams, B&B intercooler, Snow Perf water/meth injection, Rarlyl8 headers, Garret GTX turbo, 36mm ported intakes, Innovate Auxbox/LM-1, custom Manually Adjustable wastegate housing (0.8-1.1bar),--running 0.7bar max
---"When you're racing it's life! Anything else either before or after, is just waiting"
Old 01-26-2009, 11:49 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Bond, James Bond: Cut a rear grill to fit
Old 01-26-2009, 02:56 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Pegasus racing sells the real woven stainless screen, three sizes to select from. box. Great stuff and the fit is not wavy at all. I made eight inside mounting points for a stealth look.
Old 01-26-2009, 03:16 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
OFF THE BOOST PIPE NOW...

Several places carry the st st wire mesh. I would go for the 1/4" material. It allows more air to flow through. If you can't mount it from the backside, you can make aluminum frames for it to fasten to (kind of like a race car).

However, I bought a roll of galvanized 1/4" wire mesh at Lowes for dirt cheap...
Old 01-26-2009, 03:28 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

BTW. Where did you buy it? Several places like Getty and GT Racing have inserts already made. It's just a matter if they fit your opening.
Old 01-26-2009, 03:30 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
Smart quod bastardus

Garage
Got it thru EBay...but think it is an AIR piece......
I looked on Getty site and the catalog picture is so bad I cannot see what I am buying to know if I want it.
I would like to see some posts of actual mesh screens and then find out who sells them or how they were made.
Seems like alot of guys here are telling me for quality Pegasus makes good stainless mesh.
Lowes or Homeless Depot makes generic/cheap stuff, but Iwant something nice as I plan on doing this once and it has to look somewhat high quality.
So I checked out Pegasus and they look ok.....I wish I could find the source for those nice chrome mesh you see on the Jaguars or Caddy CTS-V grills. Maybe I should just go down town Detroit and see if I can find one that "fell off the truck" if you know what I mean.
1979 930 Turbo....3.4L, 7.5to1 comp, SC cams, B&B intercooler, Snow Perf water/meth injection, Rarlyl8 headers, Garret GTX turbo, 36mm ported intakes, Innovate Auxbox/LM-1, custom Manually Adjustable wastegate housing (0.8-1.1bar),--running 0.7bar max
---"When you're racing it's life! Anything else either before or after, is just waiting"
Old 01-27-2009, 01:55 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

All the st st mesh is the same. You can do a search for it, but it probably costs the same.

For me, the wire from Lowes worked because I paint it and have to replace it every so often.
Old 01-27-2009, 04:37 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

You might want to check out GT racing, they have one that is already fitted to the opening. It's nice since the edges are bent but not punched for a clean look.
Old 01-31-2009, 09:11 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

JC Whitney has a variety of grill screen stock in different anodized colors and material similar to what pegasus sells. I have a link to it somewhere but can't find it. Go to their website and do a search.

1/4" hardware cloth galvanized screen is what porsche and most race teams used back in the 70's. Almost all RSR's and 917's used it and the 930 has it with the mesh mounted at 45 degrees to the centerline of the car under the rear wing louvers.
They sometimes used 2 layers with one flat over the front cooler and another layer curved outward to give more rock and debris protection.

Cutting down an origonal rear black plastic one from an SC or Carrera to fit usually looks best for a nice street car.

Yours looks alot like a DP airdamn without the fog lite buckets and rectangular brake ducts below them, and round brake duct ports insead.
They made both styles.
Old 01-31-2009, 10:26 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Garage
Send a message via AIM to jbailey930 Send a message via Yahoo to jbailey930
Two versions, 1 with Ruf style then just ss mesh as indicated by op's

Old 02-02-2009, 03:42 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: