Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 4.00 average.
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Cis monster

I don't know if this site has been posted here before and it probably has yet I've never come across it: 627HP@5300 Torque: 658Lb/Ft(892Nm)@4600 on mainly stock 930 Euro components and on pump gas - well, 98 octane over there.

http://www.spezialmotorer.com/ Click under project section.

I know that many here place solid limits on the CIS system and I'm just learning about it myself but this says otherwise.

If I know the Swedes like I do with bmw's, this is true information. We doubted a long time their claims on some of their bmw motors but they have some s38's over there pushing 1500hp and running 7's in the 1/4 mile - varied. I guess those long, cold winters over there afford them plenty of time to tinker and build these monsters. Very interesting to see some things taking way beyond the norm (like they always seem to do) in spite of the speculation and doubts. I sure would like to see more info on this build but the Swedes are quite tight lipped with their projects.
Old 01-26-2009, 07:23 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Me like track days

How'd they get the TQ & HP to intersect at 4900 instaead of 5250?
Must be some new Suh-vedish law of measurement.

Kidding aside, looks like that shop has some pretty cool projects -
Old 01-26-2009, 07:49 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Crotchety Old Bastard

Garage
I've followed this fellow for a few years. Cool stuff!
Old 01-26-2009, 08:05 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Location: Reno NV, Bay Area during most weeks,, Kids still in NH
Send a message via AIM to 9dreizig
Ok someone enlighten me,, I thought you ran out of fuel with the stock CIS ( even the Euro version).. it can't be that easy right?
91 Spec Miata (yeah I race a chick car)
"life"ll kill ya" Warren Zevon
Old 01-26-2009, 08:18 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
Me like track days

Myth. Absolute bunk. With an IA fuel head, most will have more than required.
You DO get unbalanced air delvery from the funky manifold -
Old 01-26-2009, 10:07 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Location: Reno NV, Bay Area during most weeks,, Kids still in NH
Send a message via AIM to 9dreizig
What about the injectors ? those need to be changed I assume ?
BTW Craig,, I'm putting a trip together to Seattel again in a couple weeks,, and will have plenty of time to finally get a ride in your beast...
91 Spec Miata (yeah I race a chick car)
"life"ll kill ya" Warren Zevon
Old 01-26-2009, 10:15 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Garage
Seems like the only time i ever hear about this guy is via his website. Does anyone actually HAVE any of his motors or stuff to verify his numbers??? I did email him once, and got a fast, no-nonsense response.

The guy is $$$$$ ($25-30K for flat-fan set up?) but you have to give him props for making what appears to be meticulous reproductions of factory 935 parts and set-ups, possibly even improving on them. Per some guys who know of him in Sweden, he only works old-school - No efi or new tech

Until i see some independent verification of him numbers tho, gotta be a little skeptical. I mean, in order to get more than 500 or so reliable HP from the 934, the factory had to go to MFI.

I am planning a Sweden, Norway road-trip in the near future, and might just have to stop by and acutually see this guy's stuff. Am intrigued
1965 Karman Ghia-Class winner 2007 Carrera Panamericana/Ducati 900ss/GhezziBrian STW
D-Zug Produkte/D-Zug.com
Old 01-27-2009, 12:19 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

That 930 I/C is really clean looking, and the idea of blowing away sport bikes makes me drool. Then I remembered I like corners. That much torque, that soon, with me behind the wheel...... can you say 360? I'll have to wait until I can drive like Walter Rohrl (and winning $20million now that I'm dreaming)..... ok so I'll never have a 600hp 930. But that guy does have some cool projects.

Last edited by poorsche930; 01-27-2009 at 07:19 AM..
Old 01-27-2009, 06:57 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

i have to admitt i am skeptical too! my shop, IA, Lynmor, and every 930 enthusiast i've talked to places a real limit on the CIS system, 500bhp,

However if a build like this is possible , i would personally love to induldge in it! i don't think there would be anything more rewarding that being able to stay with the original technology and be able to make the big power like the EFI guys do! that would be one amazing car!

Also why i'm posting, even better would be if i had the cash for that 935 motor they have forsale, i would like that very much in my car!!
Old 01-27-2009, 07:14 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)
Blackbird Pilot

For that kind of money its just so much easier to swap to a larger disp. motor. Newer tech but all manageable and go twin.
Old 01-27-2009, 07:35 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

David at Prototech once told me that there is no actual limit to how much fuel the CIS can flow, you can make it dump tons of fuel if you really need it.

But as mentioned above it is a crude and imprecise method of delivery so you don't get much control over the fuel delivery.

When people mentioned the often quoted "CIS only supports 400 hp", that is referring to a particular application i.e. using a IA fuel head and flowing to a 3.3 or 3.4 engine through fairly stock intake.

I think the best thing to say is that "CIS is not what you want for more than about 400 hp".
Old 01-27-2009, 08:12 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)
Me like track days

Yep, that is exactly it. FWIW it works just fine on my 514 FWHP.
Old 01-27-2009, 08:59 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig 930 RS View Post
Yep, that is exactly it. FWIW it works just fine on my 514 FWHP.
Craig, you gonna drive that fire-breather to Monterey this summer? Would love to meet up and see it.
1965 Karman Ghia-Class winner 2007 Carrera Panamericana/Ducati 900ss/GhezziBrian STW
D-Zug Produkte/D-Zug.com
Old 01-27-2009, 09:33 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

All i'm saying is theres something special about staying with the spirit in which it was created..
its like dropping a fuel injected motor into an old muscle car, sure it can perform better
but theres something to be said for having a pair of huge holley 4 barrels mounted up top!
Old 01-27-2009, 10:26 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)
Infidel

I've spoken to Micke (a few years ago) about his CIS claims and he answers questions quite openly. He basically runs high boost lower in the RPM range where there is plenty of fuel, there is a lot more to it clearly but the high peak power level you are looking at is something like 1.5bar at 5000rpm.
I'm informed by some reliable sources that he is the real deal, i'm yet to hear from a customer though. Some of those engine builds are pure art though aren't they, stunning!
87 930, 993 turbo engine, RS Tuning 520PS/515lbf-ft, Arrow Rods, ARP hardware, Solid lifters, G50-50, RS Flywheel, 890nm Sachs clutch, RSR coil overs all round, 993 C4 calipers front, 930 fronts on the rear, Ruf Speedlines.....
Old 540 BMW, XB12S Modified, for being a total hooligan
Old 01-27-2009, 10:33 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarheelturbo View Post
All i'm saying is theres something special about staying with the spirit in which it was created..
its like dropping a fuel injected motor into an old muscle car, sure it can perform better
but theres something to be said for having a pair of huge holley 4 barrels mounted up top!
Well CIS is much maligned but it does the job good enough if it is well cared for.

When CIS gets old and gummy is when people start to hate it.

What you give up on CIS really boils down to that first second or so of throttle response that well tuned fuel injection provides. Once the CIS starts dumping fuel, you will end up with fairly similiar power characteristics as EFI, but brute force instead of finesse.

For the meat of the powerband, you probably get 5-10 extra horses if the EFI is tuned to maximum efficiency. A couple sweet spots will be significantly better for EFI, which is why the dyno charts seem so favorable to EFI when you just go by the numbers.

Once the fuel starts flowing fast, Holley carbs, MFI, CIS, EFI are all just dumping fuel into a hungry engine.
Old 01-27-2009, 10:40 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)
Me like track days

All else being equal on a fairly modded 930 engine, EFI brings about 30+ HP additional all by itself, FWTW.

I guess I have a cheap bastard EFI with the Leask RPM fuel delay switch (hey, it's the only 'computer chip' on the entire car)

CIS problems are typically too much fuel down low (thus the Leask RPM switch to DELAY full fuel) and not enough over 5,500 (which is where the IA fuel head greatly helps - if it is needed in a particular case)

CIS fact #1: Upon full boost, CIS delivers FULL FUEL. Maximum. Gusher. Gully washer.

Parse all the crap down to the recirc valve & the WUR and you have a great, simple setup.
All the other stuff - all of it - is just not needed (unless you have visual inpsections and emissions tests)
You will need to nurse the throttle (ie add throttle) for 30 seconds upon startup-
Old 01-27-2009, 10:53 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)
Me like track days

I wish I could bring my car down to CA - problem is it's pretty much a race car for the street and would be a handful on a long drive -
Old 01-27-2009, 10:59 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)

Like I said, over the years the Swedes would just boggle our minds with the M30 SOHC bmw motors, I mean, the HP was crazy and many on the boards denied such claims. But they have some neat tricks up their sleeves that are just now coming out and makes good sense. They are old school, for sure. One of their biggest solutions with bmw turbo motors is their sealing solution, a pyramid ring setup with reliefs on the block for detonation blow-outs. A regular stock $30 gasket devoid of the fire ring goes around this setup. 1500HP on the water cooled S38 motor, easily. They are pumping out 800hp on home-built/ barn-yard m30's all day long with this setup.
Old 01-27-2009, 02:03 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)
Smart quod bastardus

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig 930 RS View Post
How'd they get the TQ & HP to intersect at 4900 instaead of 5250?
Must be some new Suh-vedish law of measurement.

Kidding aside, looks like that shop has some pretty cool projects -
I saw the same thing at 5250......what is that all about? Makes you have some doubts on validity.
1979 930 Turbo....3.4L, 7.5to1 comp, SC cams, B&B intercooler, Snow Perf water/meth injection, Rarlyl8 headers, Garret GTX turbo, 36mm ported intakes, Innovate Auxbox/LM-1, custom Manually Adjustable wastegate housing (0.8-1.1bar),--running 0.7bar max
---"When you're racing it's life! Anything else either before or after, is just waiting"
Old 01-27-2009, 03:20 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #20 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: