Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

The most beautiful turbo ever...

...too bad the person who ordered it took it in the rear for over $17 per mile depreciation. That is a record that may never be beat. Even $1 per mile depreciation is brutal!

Take a close look at the amount spent on leather options, total options, and the sticker price.

2008 custom ordered 911 turbo cab - yours for 'only' $120K and only 2,500 miles. Not even broke in!

Last edited by Nickatnyt; 01-27-2009 at 12:23 AM..
Old 01-27-2009, 12:19 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Garage
"It has so many Exclusive Options that they almost ran out of room on the window sticker, and we will definitely run out of room here. So, here are some of the highlights. The interior was custom ordered Color-to-Sample in a sumptuous magnolia hue similar to what Bentley and Aston Martin offer. And virtually everything is covered in this ultra-premium leather ........" Blah, blah, blah....

Pretty much sums what Porsche is about these days. Here i go again, but with their overpriced suv and now sedan, and bloated, luxo-optioned performance models, i predict that Porsche is about to have a big, and much needed slap in the face. When i popped into a showroom at the end of last year, i could already begin to smell the desperation. Aww, wassa matter Wiedeking? People starting to feel that 'Porsche' doesn't really mean anything special anymore? Should have kept your cash reserves instead of buying VW

I wouldnt buy that car at half that value. Just wait, i bet your are going to start seeing some Guiness Book of World Records depreciation on these things.

The great thing is that i can still build the Porsche that I want. The modern company has become pretty much irrelevant to me.
1965 Karman Ghia-Class winner 2007 Carrera Panamericana/Ducati 900ss/GhezziBrian STW
D-Zug Produkte/D-Zug.com

Last edited by juicersr; 01-27-2009 at 12:56 AM..
Old 01-27-2009, 12:49 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Blackbird Pilot

Amen...lets just see how the 996's go over with all the technology. Its going to be akin to maintaining a 959 I'm afraid.
Old 01-27-2009, 01:21 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaper930 View Post
Amen...lets just see how the 996's go over with all the technology. Its going to be akin to maintaining a 959 I'm afraid.
Buy stock in Motec, Haltech, Electromotive....

The sales from these companies might increase over the next few years.
1972 911T Targa now with a good 2.7
1990 Miata (cheap 'n easy)
1993 C1500 Silverado (parts getter)
Old 01-27-2009, 05:03 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

It's nice looking, and if thats all you can say about a $100k car, somethings wrong. Just not my cup of tea.
Old 01-27-2009, 05:31 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Its a nice looking car, but with all the wrong options!! extra expensive leather blah blah blah,

i'm about about some factory custamization and personalization, but how about a modern version of the 964 3.3 turbo S light weight and stripped down raw,
even something i could equate to a gt3rs with turbo power! haha now thats a custom car!
Old 01-27-2009, 06:00 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

okay, i saw a stunning cayenne turbo S (520 hp) with a sticker of about 125 K sell for 41 K on fleabay.

Two years old, 32,000 miles, and the price dropped 70%.

And honestly the wife could actually use a minivan where I don't have any legit reason to replace my 930.
Old 01-27-2009, 06:35 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
Blackbird Pilot

That's it...Justin and I need to take over the marketing and development departments at Porsche...the world would be a better place.
Old 01-27-2009, 06:57 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Quote:
That's it...Justin and I need to take over the marketing and development departments at Porsche...the world would be a better place.
Hells yeah it would.
Old 01-27-2009, 07:14 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
LOL guys! Hell screw running marketing... let's run the RACING dept like it should be - Balls to the wall and take no prisoners, liberal interpretation of the rules and not gving a damn whose toes you step on - and that IS your marketing. Imagine the satisfaction of firing all those overpaid, shoulder sweater wearing pansies in marketing who come up with those queer ads, make all those mistakes when quoting Porsche history and publish 'Christophorus' . I'd build a car for P1 that would make Audi bend over and beg FIA for mercy (except that 'Da Man' Piech, a true Porsche - who i my opinion by all rights should be back runing Porsche - is still calling the shots at Audi and would probably come out with a Turbo 18 cylinder Audi with nuclear power or something)

Marketing from a racing standpoint would mean model lines like Tarheel is talking about.. stripped down and lightweight land rockets that you could 'option up' if so desired. Sure, your profits would go down, and Weedking and his cronies would only be able to have 2 instead of 4 vacation homes, but you would be running a REAL Porsche which would ensure survival for the long-term by keeping it's core customers like us happy.

If you gotta have the SUV, RUN IT IN A REAL RACE like the Dakar or East African rally (hello Weedking, do you even know what these races are - oh, you dont? That right, you've never even been in a race car) , with real competion, not in some over-hyped publicity stunt like the 'Transyberia' where u get a cappucino machine in the car and massages at every checkpoint. Does it boggle anyone's but my mind that the old Porsche racing dept was so gonzo racing that they came up with a the 959 rally version in order to win!!!! That is PURE BADDA$$!!!!

Just my .02
1965 Karman Ghia-Class winner 2007 Carrera Panamericana/Ducati 900ss/GhezziBrian STW
D-Zug Produkte/D-Zug.com

Last edited by juicersr; 01-27-2009 at 08:13 AM..
Old 01-27-2009, 08:04 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by juicersr View Post
LOL guys! Hell screw running marketing... let's run the RACING dept like it should be - Balls to the wall and take no prisoners, liberal interpretation of the rules and not gving a damn whose toes you step on - and that IS your marketing.

. I'd build a car for P1 that would make Audi bend over and beg FIA for mercy (except that 'Da Man' Piech, a true Porsche - who i my opinion by all rights should be back runing Porsche - is still calling the shots at Audi and would probably come out with a Turbo 18 cylinder Audi with nuclear power or something)
Just my .02
Laughing at the nuclear power line.... because something like that would happen. Piech has some mean cars under his belt to say they very least.
Old 01-27-2009, 08:20 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Garage

(Insert Cayenne here)

Can u say 'Smoked Ferrari 430 - GT2 Class winner'?

D-Zug Produkte/D-Zug.com
Old 01-27-2009, 08:25 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Its so bitter-sweet to rant about the change we want, for a min i can get caught up in the idea that if we all want it bad enough things will change and be as they should be, then i remember where this world is headed, and i'm afraid we are a dying breed and theres not going to be much room for guys like us in the future...
Old 01-27-2009, 09:32 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarheelturbo View Post
Its so bitter-sweet to rant about the change we want, for a min i can get caught up in the idea that if we all want it bad enough things will change and be as they should be, then i remember where this world is headed, and i'm afraid we are a dying breed and theres not going to be much room for guys like us in the future...
There is still hope.

All of the alternative energy ideas have been scams up until this point. Such as the ethanol scam. The hybrid/electrical Prius nonsense. The plug-in car fantasy. (Power plants are three times more polluting for electric energy than gas engines. Thus the plug-in car is an enviromental nightmare and really inefficient use of power).

I think that after all of our taxpayer money has been wasted up in Washington by special interests pretending to build 'alternative' whatever or go 'green' whatever, the results will be that we are still running gas and our cars just happen to get better gas mileage due to gov't pressure.

So a lot of reckless spending and false promises and in ten years we will still be running on gas with maybe on average ten miles per gallon increased efficiency.

Shockingly, less weight and better engine management will provide all of that increased efficiency.
Old 01-27-2009, 09:54 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

How about GT2 RSR bodied 2500lb land rocket. I'd pony up for something like that.
Old 01-27-2009, 09:56 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)
Me like track days

Car is down the street from me.............take a look for anyone? Yech.
Old 01-28-2009, 08:53 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)
Blackbird Pilot

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarheelturbo View Post
Dude we're both still in our mid/early twenties...you blow flames out of your tail pipes, with slicks I'll be able to pull small wheelies...together along with the guys on this board spread throughout the US and the world we have a collective power that we all seem to be over looking.

Its up to us to inspire our friends and the younger generation. How much good do you think we could do if we organized a "drive for charity" where we took kids for rides in our cars for a day? You think that 10 year old kid wouldn't remember that for the rest of his life? Plus we could organize to help out a needy family or something with the money collected. Hot rod Porsche guys helping people out....its good for all involved.

That's who we need to be taking our argument to, the children that are out there who stop by on their bikes when you're working on the car. If we take the time to show and teach them, they will grow to yern for the same things we desire.

Who knows, the ride you give a kid might be the one that takes over Porsche in the next 20-30 years...
Old 01-28-2009, 10:51 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)
Certified User

Garage
Quote:
Its up to us to inspire our friends and the younger generation. How much good do you think we could do if we organized a "drive for charity" where we took kids for rides in our cars for a day? You think that 10 year old kid wouldn't remember that for the rest of his life? Plus we could organize to help out a needy family or something with the money collected. Hot rod Porsche guys helping people out....its good for all involved.
Who knows, the ride you give a kid might be the one that takes over Porsche in the next 20-30 years...
Gabriel, hate to steal your thunder, but the Porsche Club of Western Australia has been doing this for the last two years.
In 2007, we had about 200 cars. In 2008 we had 250-ish.

http://www.news.com.au/perthnow/story/0,21598,21192483-5005364,00.html

http://driving4dreams.com/2008-event.htm
Memories: '68 912, '72 911T, '80 911SC, '84 911, '85 930, '86 930, '87 911
Old 01-29-2009, 01:42 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)
Blackbird Pilot

Bill, that's awesome! And its not stealing thunder at all - I just wish we did this kind of thing around here in the US. I know some people do similar things but the Porsche community needs to do it as well!

Just shows that ya'll down under have the right outlook on things.
Old 01-29-2009, 01:56 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: