Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

A little transport advice pleasze

**Sorry for posting this here, but this rooms seems to hold the most knowledge on PP, and it is about a turbo car ** I know how to spell "please", just cant edit the title.....

My 930 is set to come home to Maryland from Washington state. I shipped it out using Fed Ex transport (VERY nice inclosed truck) in Dec. 2007 to a tune of $24XX. Now with an uneasy economy, and many home improvements yet to make. I'd like to find something a little cheaper.

My question is this. For anywhere from $950 to $1300 I can get it shipped on an open truck. Now for an inclosed truck it's $2100 to $2500. My paint is very good, but not excellent, so I do not have a concours car. Just a very nice weekend driver. It's also pretty low, tucking the tires.

Any advice or experiences with open transport? I think I'm going to go "closed" but my wallet would like someone to tell me about this magical open truck that "teleports" it's cargo

Thanks everyone.

Ryan

Last edited by poorsche930; 01-27-2009 at 07:51 AM..
Old 01-27-2009, 07:42 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Go closed...quick story, a friend was bring up an M5 from Chicago on an open truck, freak little hail storm left tons of dents in the aluminum skin, hood, roof trunk. The hassel was not worth the savings
2002 996TT
1984 930 Turbo (gone and missed)
Old 01-27-2009, 08:14 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowtown10 View Post
Go closed...quick story, a friend was bring up an M5 from Chicago on an open truck, freak little hail storm left tons of dents in the aluminum skin, hood, roof trunk. The hassel was not worth the savings
Never thought of that. Call me an idiot, especially this time of the year! Because it's just a cold winter with no real "weather" to speak of here, doesn't mean it's like that everywhere. End of story.

Thanks.
Old 01-27-2009, 08:39 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

INTERCITY.

Last time we had a thread about this topic, the first twenty responses mentioned one company. They advertise in excellence magazine.

I got them to ship a 930 in a covered 18 wheeler and a drive up ramp with other rare porsches for $900. Perfect.

Last edited by DDDD; 01-27-2009 at 08:35 PM..
Old 01-27-2009, 10:28 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
"O Gruppe 13"

Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to IDGAF27
Got three Porsches, so far, from Portland using same ,open truck, delivery company. Had no problem. Wheels straped, no chains. Paid 900 to 1100$. Now , I would guess is cheeper.
0.02c of mine
67 911 2.0L, 901, Webbers,Matching #'s
68 912 original to the bone
Old 01-27-2009, 11:07 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Ryan,

Ping me later these eve as a reminder.. and I'll forward you a number.
I've had a number of cars moved cross country, mostly closed but had two moved open and was very impressed with the carrier. One car moved from WA state the other from KC MO.. both back east to Metro DC area..

What part of MD are you?

Paul
RGruppe #180
So many cars.. so little time!!
Old 01-27-2009, 11:23 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by onboost View Post
Ryan,

Ping me later these eve as a reminder.. and I'll forward you a number.
I've had a number of cars moved cross country, mostly closed but had two moved open and was very impressed with the carrier. One car moved from WA state the other from KC MO.. both back east to Metro DC area..

What part of MD are you?

Paul
Anne Arundel Co. 20 min south of baltimore, 20 minutes north of D.C.

Thanks Paul, pm sent, no rush, I just didn't want to forget.

Last edited by poorsche930; 01-27-2009 at 12:50 PM..
Old 01-27-2009, 12:45 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Ryan,

Know the area well. Was just at Arundel Mills Mall the other day. I'll check it out when I get in and send a contact number tonight.

Any pics of your car yet?

Paul
RGruppe #180
Old 01-27-2009, 12:56 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Owned it very briefly when I found 2 broken head suds. Shipped it out to WA for a rebuild Dec '07), so these tiny cell phone pics are all I have.

The bumpers, mirrors, and lights are all factory 965, as well as the interior, minus the center console, thats still '79. Wing is aftermarket. P.O. made all of these changes. Would have done it differently, if I was buying it again. But over all, I'm very pleased.

Other pics are also on Paul Weir's website. I hesitated saying that, because the flourescent lights make the paint look horrible. Like a different color completely, not that my pics form an old cell phone are much

Last edited by poorsche930; 01-27-2009 at 01:20 PM..
Old 01-27-2009, 01:17 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

What color is it actually..

How did you come to decide to ship to Paul Weir? Nothing against them, however we are lucky to have a number of very competent shops in our area.. two of which are in your neck of the woods.
RGruppe #180
Old 01-27-2009, 01:26 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Quote:
What color is it actually..

How did you come to decide to ship to Paul Weir? Nothing against them, however we are lucky to have a number of very competent shops in our area.. two of which are in your neck of the woods.
The color is Arena Red. I know, cant tell from the pics.

I talked to a couple of shops here, both of them gave me a number ($) and a time frame, that was higher and way longer than what Paul promised. A friend of mine missed a shift in his SC, severely over revving and destroying it. Somehow he decided on Paul a few years ago. He talked very highly of his work, and getting it completed in a timely fashion. I sent it based off of what local shops said, (again longer time, way higher $), and took the reco' from my buddy.

I wasn't making the best decisions at that time either. It's long story, involving a family member getting killed, I kinda went off the deep end and just said "eff it" to a lot of things. Wish I didn't but, what can I do now. I've had a lot of " crazy life experiences" that happened to me. Live, and try to learn, thats all.

Last edited by poorsche930; 01-27-2009 at 02:07 PM..
Old 01-27-2009, 01:56 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DDDD View Post
INTERSTATE.

Last time we had a thread about this topic, the first twenty responses mentioned one company. They advertise in excellence magazine.

I got them to ship a 930 in a covered 18 wheeler and a drive up ramp with other rare porsches for $900. Perfect.
Do you mean intercity? I've seen them in excellence, and there quote was $2165

Just found www.interstateautomovers.com, going to contact them for a price. Thanks.
Old 01-27-2009, 03:07 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)
Smart quod bastardus

Garage
Interested in this thread aswell. I may have to move for work and need to get my baby there safely.
How about we generate a list of good movers and post it on this thread and keep adding to it as the thread progresses?
1979 930 Turbo....3.4L, 7.5to1 comp, SC cams, B&B intercooler, Snow Perf water/meth injection, Rarlyl8 headers, Garret GTX turbo, 36mm ported intakes, Innovate Auxbox/LM-1, custom Manually Adjustable wastegate housing (0.8-1.1bar),--running 0.7bar max
---"When you're racing it's life! Anything else either before or after, is just waiting"
Old 01-27-2009, 03:13 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)
Driver

Garage
I'd recommend Intercity. I've used them before for the Porsche (which is a driver, too), and the service and peace of mind were excellent.

For my other cars (and I've moved cross-country 4 times), I've gone with the open-top carriers. The entire industry are a bunch of sleazeballs, IMO. It's a totally unregulated industry, with no guarantees (despite what their ads will tout). So if you value what you're shipping, might as well go with a reputable company. I think the three names that keep popping up over and over are: Intercity, Horseless Carriage, and Federal Express.

The biggest car shipper out there is probably DAS, but I thought they were not so dependable after they lost my car for a few weeks one summer. It only materialized after I threatened to call the cops and claim that it was stolen (heck, DAS couldn't find it, after all). But hey, most other people seem to have had good experiences with DAS.
Old 01-27-2009, 03:30 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noah930 View Post

For my other cars (and I've moved cross-country 4 times), I've gone with the open-top carriers. The entire industry are a bunch of sleazeballs, IMO. It's a totally unregulated industry, with no guarantees (despite what their ads will tout). So if you value what you're shipping, might as well go with a reputable company. I think the three names that keep popping up over and over are: Intercity, Horseless Carriage, and Federal Express.
Thats what I was afraid of, and why I used Fed Ex to get it out there. Just looking for advice and past experiences to make my decision this time.
Old 01-27-2009, 04:15 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)

I've used Intercity, Passport, DAS etc etc etc over the past 25 years. The best I have ever used is Dave@Transportmasters. 1-561-482-7789. Mention that Tony Porsche Turbo in Milwaukee recommended his service for your Porsche. He will get you a good enclosed ride for your Porsche at a great price.

Last edited by voitureltd; 01-27-2009 at 08:36 PM..
Old 01-27-2009, 08:25 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by poorsche930 View Post
Do you mean intercity? I've seen them in excellence, and there quote was $2165

Just found www.interstateautomovers.com, going to contact them for a price. Thanks.
No I meant intercity, I must have thought of the battery when I was typing.

I am surprised they quoted that high for you, maybe the prices have gone up.
Old 01-27-2009, 08:39 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)

Quote:
Ryan,

I'll check it out when I get in and send a contact number tonight.

Paul

Ryan,

PM sent with contact info..

Good luck!

P-
RGruppe #180
Old 01-28-2009, 07:42 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)

Blackbird Pilot

Intercity lines, the only guys i'll trust with my Pcars. Best service, always where they say they'll be when they say they'll be there. Could not be more highly recommended by myself and others.
Old 01-28-2009, 08:04 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: