Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Wer bremst verliert

How much is too much intercooler?

I'm building this car here and the time has come to build the intercooler. I have a massive amount of space under the tail. The pics below show the actual size model of what space I have to work with.

I have a theory that at some point the diminishing marginal temperature reduction is offset by the amount of aluminim needed to build the next size up...something vague about thermodynamic efficiencies and some law named after an Italian guy. Anyway, I'm sure an intercooler 24" by 20" by 7.5" deep is unnecessary. That's 61cm by 50 cm by 19 cm.

Can anyone add any theory, science or experience as to what is a proper size if I have those dimensions to work within? Here are a few pics of a box I constructed demonstrating the available space...

Motor is a 3.2 revving to 6500 with 16 lbs boost. Target 475 hp. Air/air intercooler.

Thanks

so thats what an intercooler's view of the world looks like..

1978 911 3.0 Lichtbau toy "Gretchen"
1971 911 Targa S backroad toy
Old 01-28-2009, 02:29 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Chain fence eating turbo

I believe Corky Bell has some dimensions on his website to determine IC needed. Maybe, it would answer your question.

But for now, bigger the better.
Cory - turbo'd '87 C3.2 Guards/Blk, 3.4, 7.5:1 CR P & C's, soon to be 993SS cams and GSXR 750 ITB's fed by 964 intake, Borg-Warner S366 turbo @ 1.4 bar, Treadstone full bay IC, TiAL F46 WG, HKS 1 1/2" BOV, twin 044 pumps, MegaSquirt 2 (v3.57 board) w/EDIS, Tramont wheels (285's rr, 225's frt), Big Reds frt, 993 rr., tower brace, MOMO wheel
Old 01-28-2009, 04:30 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Garage
I'd maximize surface cooling area instead of volume, meaning cover as much of the tail inlet as possible.

I talked to the guys at Bell Intercoolers before I built my mine since I was worried about it being too big. They said if it's been more than a few weeks since I'd driven the car (it had been almost 2 years ), I wouldn't notice the increased lag due to the larger intercooler volume and I didn't.

Your climate should be considered too. It's very hot where I am, so I could use the excess capacity on the track.
Old 01-28-2009, 05:25 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Cynical Misanthrope

Send a message via Yahoo to AFM744
There are good arguments to designing an intercooler with more or less thermal mass, depending on intended application. High thermal mass ICs are great for the occasional street blast, wherein the IC just "heat-sinks" the induction, then has plenty of time to recover. Vs a good track IC that is subjected to cycle after cycle of boost and must sacrifice some heat sinking effectiveness in favor of being able to cool off as much as possible in braking zones.
Thicker core and end tank metal = better heat sink, and vice/versa.
The other things to consider if you're making your own IC is pressure loss and volume. Pressure loss is usually directly inverse to thermal efficiency, and a higher efficiency IC may be better for street (less lag) whereas a larger IC may be better for the track.
Sweeeeet project, I can't wait to be building my own IC!
Old 01-28-2009, 08:46 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
Smart quod bastardus

Garage
Can anyone talk in more detail on the disadvantages of a smaller frontal area with a thick core versus larger frontal area with shallow depth core? They both would have the same surface area of aluminum exposed to flow, just that the the air must pass thru either a thicker or thinner depth of cooler.
I don't know if I worder this clearly, but my B&B intercooler is thick and smaller surface area perpendicular to cooling air flow versus the 964 OEM cooler which is large surface area with thinner depth. Which makes a better overall cooler assuming they have equal volume?
Anyone have outlet pressure drop values for a B&B cooler running 0.8 bar inlet pressure from turbo? Looking for some idea on how much pressure drop to expect across this intercooler. Makes me wonder about the advantage of running the wastegate signal pressur e line after the intercooler to eliminate this loss.
Thanks,
Fred
1979 930 Turbo....3.4L, 7.5to1 comp, SC cams, B&B intercooler, Snow Perf water/meth injection, Rarlyl8 headers, Garret GTX turbo, 36mm ported intakes, Innovate Auxbox/LM-1, custom Manually Adjustable wastegate housing (0.8-1.1bar),--running 0.7bar max
---"When you're racing it's life! Anything else either before or after, is just waiting"
Old 01-28-2009, 10:04 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
Wer bremst verliert

Thanks guys. I did go back to the Bell books and site again last night.

This is a race-only application so heat-sink ability while idling isnt a concern, but weight up high, WOT flow and reduction of any "lag" due to unnecessary volume between the supercharger and the intake are concerns.

The tail "opening" is only 14" front-to-back so the intercooler will already exceed that area.

Bell says the first 1/4 depth of the intercooler does 3/4 of the work. So maybe maximise the width of 20", 4" depth and 16" length is the go? That leaves 4" on each end for tanks and baffles. If we mount it all the way up to the bottom of the tail we should be able to easily "seal" it so all the engine fan's air comes in through the intercooler. It will also leave room underneath it so we can mount a "pull" fan underneath the intercooler if that proves necessary.

Any help or suggestions?

BTW, I'm not doing the building, Paul is. I'm just doin the learnin' and the payin' of bills.
1978 911 3.0 Lichtbau toy "Gretchen"
1971 911 Targa S backroad toy
Old 01-28-2009, 12:13 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Garage
FYI, the bar and plate type intercooler like Bell's are heavy. My core is 25x12x4.5 and the whole intercooler weighs 30 pounds.

Old 01-29-2009, 03:45 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 125shifter View Post
FYI, the bar and plate type intercooler like Bell's are heavy. My core is 25x12x4.5 and the whole intercooler weighs 30 pounds.

Beautiful Fab Work, well done!
Old 01-29-2009, 05:50 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Bell does great work
2008 C6/Z51 Corvette
Old 01-29-2009, 10:06 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Garage
I just did the cutting and fitting, some welders at work did the rest.

I did copy (somewhat) DonE's intercooler which was fabbed by Bell, and yes they do good work at a good price.

I had some things I wanted to do inside, that I didn't think Bell would want to bother with.

Old 01-29-2009, 10:24 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: