Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
1982 911SC

Warming Up

I have trouble keeping the car running when the engine cools down. I can always get it started, but it won't always stay running. It sounds like it is running on 2 cylinders for a while until it warms up further then it's pretty good. This is especially true when it sits for a few days and even moreso when it's cold outside. I can drive it only after it has had a good 15 minutes to get warmed up. What might be the problem here, and is it something I could adjust?
1982 911 SC.
Gary
Old 02-02-2009, 02:36 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Manassas, VA

Garage
Gary,
The list of causes is virtually endless. Can you help narrow the possibilities just a bit?
How many miles on this car?
Is the engine in stock condition with all factory equipment installed and operating properly?
When was the last tuneup? (time and miles)
Does it smoke?
Does it use oil?
What kind of mileage do you currently get?
How does it run in the rain?
How doe the power and throttle response feel?

This could be a moisture problem or a vacuum leak that partially seals when the engine is warm. If you have a local P mechanic that you trust, a smoke test of the intake system is fast and not too expensive, it will find the problem or cross it off the list.

Mark
Old 02-02-2009, 03:29 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
1982 911SC

Hey Mark,
The car has 96K, everything is genuine Porsche on the engine. The last Porsche tune up was a couple years ago and has sat motionless since that time. It uses very, very little oil, does not smoke, does not leak oil. I have had the car about 5 months and because it has a hard time warming up, I only drive it weekend really, so I never checked gas mileage, but it seems like it consumes fuel as most cars would, nothing extrordinary. I also do not currently drive it in the rain as it needs tires and I don't trust them, but response wise, it will get up and go very well. I also notice if I don't rev high enough from a stop it seems to sputter a bit until I can get the RPM's up and then it rockets. I don't believe it is moisture related, but what do I know? My first Porsche dream car, so other than I think it's the coolest car EVER, I know very little but learning. What does this smoke test ...test? I was kind of hoping for "turn the screw to the right and it's fixed". haha Let me know what you think and thanks for responding.
Gary
Old 02-02-2009, 06:04 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Manassas, VA

Garage
The smoke test is a valuable toubleshooting tool for our cars. There are probably 100 potential leaks in the intake system. Not so many more than other cars, but a leak there has a dramatic effect on Porsches.

The tech will block the throttle plate wide open and seal off the intake at the air filter except for a small fitting. Using the fitting, he will use a "smoke machine" to pressurize the intake system with 1-2 psi of the same kind of smoke used in hollywood movies; it is made from mineral oil. The leaks where the smoke comes out will be obvious and usually require tightening a fitting or replacing a vacuum hose. Sometimes a hose has popped off, it's just not very plain to our eyes.

The sputtering is classic misfiring and could be one or two bad plugs (cheap) or a bad injector (expensive). I would try the plugs first. You could have fouled one upon start-up after sitting that long. It would be good to know what kind of plugs you have anyway. Since you don't drive it too much, maybe a plug in a warmer heat range would help.

There is a well-documented injector test on this forum, just seach "injector flow test". Did you add new gas after the car was sitting? Bad gas (water) is always a source of misfiring or not running at all.

Also, include some pictures, especially of the engine. It will help folks to visualize your issues.

Good Luck,
Mark
Old 02-03-2009, 02:36 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
1982 911SC

Thanks for the info Mark, I will look into the injectors and plugs for sure, and I suppose wires since I am at it. Any recommendation on plugs? I am not sure if anyone in my immediate area can do this smoke test, but there is a good import mechanic nearby that always has high end cars in his lot, maybe he can do the test. I did speak with him a month or so back, he seems to know Porsche very well amongst others. I do like to do most of the work myself if I can, so I will check things out. Do you know if the oil pressure sending unit requires a special tool? The nut at the base is a 15/16ths, but no room to turn the wrench to remove the unit unless I cut my Snap-on wrench....eeewww, bad thought. Anywho, your help is greatly appreciated, and thank you again.
Gary
Old 02-03-2009, 02:39 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
Manassas, VA

Garage
Gary,
Good idea to check the plug wires, but I have never heard of a reliable test for this other than a visual inspection and that only catches the obvious flaws. Replacement is the test.

As far as plugs go, you will find that almost everyone has an opinion regarding their favorite and a reason for choosing it. I like Bosch WR5DP and WR5DP+ platinum plugs since that is what the factory used. They are more expensive, but I think they tend to last longer under normal conditions. Some favor the Japanese plugs like NKG BPR7EIX and BP7EVX.

The oil pressure sending unit can be a challenge. Mine came out fairly easy. I bought a wrench at The Home Depot and bent it using my oxy-acetelyne torch. Use a new aluminum crush washer and don't go quite so tight.

Mark
Old 02-03-2009, 06:00 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Garage
Sounds like WUR warm up fuel regulator. Easy to replace and not that expensive in the scheme of things.
Old 02-03-2009, 06:31 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
beancounter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Les Paul View Post
Sounds like WUR warm up fuel regulator. Easy to replace and not that expensive in the scheme of things.
Verify your system and control pressure before you start spending $ on new parts. If everything checks out there, move on to looking for intake leaks and also ignition system.

If you don't have one already, get a copy of the Bentley 911 repair manual and maybe the 101 Projects for your Porsche 911 book (available from out host).

http://members.rennlist.com/jimwms/CIS/CIShome.html

Check out the link for more comprehensive info on your fuel injection system.
Old 02-04-2009, 11:17 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: