Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

scavange pump on sc cams?

what do I need to make a scavange pump work on sc cams. I have no airpump as this is a sc based engine. here is the thread the references this

http://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsche-911-used-parts-sale-wanted/455297-wtb-930-scavang-pump-mounting-plate.html?posted=1#post4465048

914-6 2.4s GT tribute.
914-6werkshop.com manufacturer of 914-6, GT, Conversion parts
Old 02-04-2009, 04:37 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
After the next project

Garage
Option

In these photos show how the scavenge pump lines up with the cam. Your cams would need this piece to be welded onto them with the holes so you could turn the pump.
Or you could purchase a pair of 930 cams and have them ground to SC specs which would require you to have them hard welded. WebCams recently did mine but for what you are doing it would be much less expensive to have your SC cams fitted with that end cap.

Best of luck,

Bryan

The sequence goes Cam, Paper gasket, Cover for air pump, pulley (holds on the cover and also turns the scavenge pump with the heads of the allen bolts), cover plate, and finally the pump.

This was before I rebuilt the motor and the pulley had been damaged early in the lfe of the car. Since I have purchased 2 new pulleys and it looks great.

After the rebuild on reasembly. You can see how the parts would go together.

Old 02-04-2009, 05:20 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Happiest when Tinkering

If you can get an sc that had a sportomatic it has a pump on the back.
76 911 C.R.A.P. Gruppe #2 BIG time TURBO C.R.A.P. Bitz EFI/EDIS Now MegaSquirt 3
76 Blazer also restored by me
Old 02-04-2009, 05:43 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
what? me worry?

Yes just drill and tap a hole on the end of the cam for an M5 or M6 hex head machine screw... Measure the head of the screws bearing on the oil pump drive... shim to bear etc...
Rudtners Racing

'69 911 GT-5
'75 914 GT-3
Authorised Haltech seller and installer
Authorised Unichip installer
BBS wheels
Fikse wheels
Redline motors oils
Swepco
1500 hp chassis dyno
Old 02-04-2009, 05:44 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimT View Post
Yes just drill and tap a hole on the end of the cam for an M5 or M6 hex head machine screw... Measure the head of the screws bearing on the oil pump drive... shim to bear etc...

Tim,

That what I thought but I need to figure out what actually conects the pump drive with the cam. 2 bolt heads and the shear pin? there has to be a better positive fit?

914-6 2.4s GT tribute.
Old 02-05-2009, 03:36 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
Happiest when Tinkering

Will a 2.7 cam tower fit on a sc motor?
76 911 C.R.A.P. Gruppe #2 BIG time TURBO C.R.A.P. Bitz EFI/EDIS Now MegaSquirt 3
76 Blazer also restored by me
Old 02-05-2009, 04:28 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Garage
Pump mounted on my engine. The cap head bolts engaged the shear pin fine on mine without having to shim them out with a washer.

914 6 Turbo twinplug 3.12
87 924S
Lexus SC400
Lexus LS400
Old 02-05-2009, 04:47 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

is the cam somewhat easy to drill and tap? Also what AN fittings did you use?

914-6 2.4s GT tribute.
Old 02-05-2009, 04:54 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)
After the next project

Garage
Engaging the pump

The shear pin is engaged by the allen heads. This is how Porsche has done it for years and it worked fine. The key in an aftermarket application is that you have the clearances correct so the shear pin fits close enough to engage but not to close as to hit the center drive pin into the cam/pulley cover.

Best of luck,

Bryan

PS. If you need any pictures of a scavenge pump disassembled let me know and I will post. I rebuild mine about 3 months ago.
Old 02-05-2009, 06:49 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)
Certified User

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by mb911 View Post
what do I need to make a scavange pump work on sc cams. I have no airpump as this is a sc based engine. here is the thread the references this

http://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsche-911-used-parts-sale-wanted/455297-wtb-930-scavang-pump-mounting-plate.html?posted=1#post4465048
Ben,
This link is to a thread that covered your situation (if you are trying to fit the scavenge pump without the air pump drive).
I recently did exactly this when I deleted the air pump and drive from my 930 motor and installed SC cams at the same time.
The only thing to watch is that the pump shaft is not too long. If it is too long, it will hit against the rear of the camshaft when you bolt it to the camshaft housing. I had to grind about 1mm from the end of the shaft to give about 0.5mm clearance.

Oil pump drive required on SC camshaft

Bill
Memories: '68 912, '72 911T, '80 911SC, '84 911, '85 930, '86 930, '87 911
Old 02-05-2009, 09:33 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: