Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
sudo apt-get purge 930

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig 930 RS View Post
What is the device to the lower right of the FD? I don't have that.

"Worrying about depreciation on your car and keeping mileage down is like not ****ing your girlfriend so her next boyfriend finds her more appealing"
--clutch-monkey
Old 02-06-2009, 02:52 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #21 (permalink)
Me like track days

Damper for fuel delivery -
Old 02-06-2009, 03:14 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #22 (permalink)
sudo apt-get purge 930

Is that OEM? Is it for big HP cars?

"Worrying about depreciation on your car and keeping mileage down is like not ****ing your girlfriend so her next boyfriend finds her more appealing"
--clutch-monkey
Old 02-06-2009, 03:16 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #23 (permalink)
Wo ist die Rennstrecke?

Quote:
Looking for more even air distribution, and that is all.
Do you have a problem now? What makes you think its not even? Have you done an EGT or AFR on the suspected cylinders? The way I checked when I suspected a problem was with an infrared temp gun about 2 inches or so from the ex port. I fixed it with matched injectors, not a new manifold. The cylinders were within 25 - 50 degrees temp difference between all six.
Old 02-06-2009, 03:17 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #24 (permalink)
Me like track days

No problem. Everything is currently optimized as much as a CIS system can be.

That goofball manifold - of which I vaguely recall Steve Weiner mentioning his flow bench test results yielded some really goofy uneven numbers - would be an area that a brave soul could endeavor to improve.

I'll send Steve a note to weigh in on this, until then it is speculation by myself & others.
Stay tuned.
Old 02-06-2009, 06:48 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #25 (permalink)

Quote:
I want OEM fitment w/o screwing up the intercooler positioning - a freaking nightmare of BS I don't want to deal with.
I works closely with a very talented fabricator in Sydney. He has made inlet manifolds for me before for various project cars. He is the best TIG welder I've ever seen and was chief fabricator for one of the Australian touring car teams for many years.

I was looking at a stock 930 manifold the other day here on the workbench and though the same thing - equal runner lengths would be a very slick setup.

A custom 930 inlet manifold is definitely do-able, but it depends on whether you do a custom casting or use mandrel tubing to do it.

A cast manifold requires making a sand casting mold etc and potentially a lot of hand finishing, whereas a mandrel tubing manifold would simply involve cutting and welding, with an appropriately sized plenum chamber.

If it is made from mandrel tubing, then you need to take into account the radius of the mandrel bends from the ports on the head. The fabricator I know has made stainless steel inlet manifolds for me in the past, and stainless steel mandrel bends are readily available - they are used to make stainless exhaust headers.

The stock 930 manifold is super low profile - I doubt that using mandrel bends you'd be able to get it as low in profile as the stock 930 manifold.

Assuming that 90 degree mandrel bends would end up too high ...

With mandrel tubing you could end up with the throttle body at the same height as a factory 930 manifold, but in order to do that with mandrel bends, you'd either need a tighter radius on the mandrel bend (not good for flow), or have the mandrel bend continue through more than 90 degrees then bend up again (again not good for flow).

How much clearance do you have from the throttle body to the fuel distributor and from the fuel distributor to the intercooler ? Is there room to raise the throttle body and / or fuel distributor ?

The reason I ask is that if you have some clearance there then the throttle body could potentially be positioned higher (which would eliminate the need for super tight radius mandrel bends at the heads), and you simply use a custom tube from the intercooler to the throttle body. Clearance will dictate if the FD can sit at the factory height relative to the heads or if it would require raising the FD and making new fuel lines.

If the 90 degree mandrel bends would NOT end up too high in profile, and give you a simple 90 degree bend and no crazy curves in the intake runners, then that would simplify it a lot. I have a 930 manifold here - I'll measure it up.

I'll be talking to my fabricator friend in Sydney tomorrow - I'll ask him his thoughts about this 930 manifold project and check on the radius of the mandrel bends needed from the heads.

- Adam

Last edited by TunersGroup; 02-08-2009 at 05:30 AM..
Old 02-08-2009, 05:09 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #26 (permalink)

Correct,

The only way to produce a manifold that is going to meet all those criteria that he wants, it's going to have to be a casted piece. It'll just be FAR too complicated and expensive to manufacture in a typical "weldment" fashion. Profit margins would be very slim if not non existent in the market, or limited to a VERY small group. Both of those make it rather difficult to justify the cost of tooling a mold for casting procedures.

I've looked into 930 intake manifolds here and decided it was not a viable and cost effective solution to produce a better flowing, "factory like" manifold as the gains vs cost and prift margin in the end are just too slim.

-adam
Old 02-08-2009, 05:43 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #27 (permalink)
Crotchety Old Bastard

Garage
Honestly I isn't worth doing.
The stock manifold can be extrude honed and will support at least 500hp. Throttle body placement and overall fitment would be difficult. Price point would be way too high for volume sales.
Old 02-08-2009, 06:03 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #28 (permalink)

To do it right you would have to move things around or else it would be pointless. A little bit of relocating and re-fabbing the manifold could likely help- but gains would be minuscule if any if everything else was left to stock configuration.
I would still go with making a 3.2 plenum work, its the cheapest and has proved itself well on EFI cars, the only thing that gets me about using it for CIS is the volume.
2008 C6/Z51 Corvette
Old 02-08-2009, 09:46 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #29 (permalink)
Me like track days

I agree - throttle body placement would be difficult.
Old 02-08-2009, 10:56 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #30 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: