Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
89 930.

Garage
Plug wire tracing

Afternoon:

I know this is a dumb question but:
Can anyone help me with a diagram for cylinder to distributer (plug wires).

I took the distributor off (melted coil wire) got a new one from Pelican (large crack in it, reordered ) and wanted to replace it. I had marked the wires as to where they go back but the ink has faded in the 2 weeks it took.

I'm really not an idiot?

But.

Thank-you in advance. 1989 911 Turbo
Old 02-12-2009, 02:18 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Smart quod bastardus

Garage
Look on the label on your rear deck that gives a little symbol of the distributor and the firing order.
You can also pull the cap and look for the small scribe line marked on the edge of distributor that indicates number 1 cylinder and work back from there if you know the firing order and direction of rotor rotation for your engine.....believe me we have all been in your shoes before......no question is a dumb one.
Good luck.
Fred
1979 930 Turbo....3.4L, 7.5to1 comp, SC cams, B&B intercooler, Snow Perf water/meth injection, Rarlyl8 headers, Garret GTX turbo, 36mm ported intakes, Innovate Auxbox/LM-1, custom Manually Adjustable wastegate housing (0.8-1.1bar),--running 0.7bar max
---"When you're racing it's life! Anything else either before or after, is just waiting"
Old 02-12-2009, 03:08 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Acceleration Junkie

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benny771 View Post
:
Can anyone help me with a diagram for cylinder to distributer (plug wires).
Looking at the engine from the back of car (cooling fan & housing end) left bank, back to front, 1,2,3. Right side, back to front is 4,5,6.

Normally, TDC of #1 on the distributor cap is close to 12-1 o’clock. If you don’t know for sure where #1 should go, pull #1 plug, test/feel for compression stroke, bring crank timing mark to 0-TDC.

With #1 wire lined up with the rotor, insert plug wires counter clockwise: 1, 6, 2, 4, 3, 5.

See http://www.pelicanparts.com/techarticles/911_static_timing/911_static_timing.htm for complete description/drawings.
Old 02-12-2009, 03:23 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
89 930.

Garage
Ohhhhhh, you mean this sticker.

Silly me, thanks for the help all.

Old 02-12-2009, 03:41 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
Smart quod bastardus

Garage
Botta bing.......
There you go......free of charge. Those stickers come in handy.

Just be sure to start at the right spot, you still oughtta look for the #1 cylinder line on the distributor edge.
1979 930 Turbo....3.4L, 7.5to1 comp, SC cams, B&B intercooler, Snow Perf water/meth injection, Rarlyl8 headers, Garret GTX turbo, 36mm ported intakes, Innovate Auxbox/LM-1, custom Manually Adjustable wastegate housing (0.8-1.1bar),--running 0.7bar max
---"When you're racing it's life! Anything else either before or after, is just waiting"
Old 02-12-2009, 05:09 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: