Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Blitzkrieg

CV joint help!

So I got a kit for (4) boot replacments. I got one cleaned & together and the joint doesn't move freely, does this mean the joint is toast? Also if it matters this joint was totally dissasembled when I started.

Last edited by jly535; 02-13-2009 at 10:42 AM..
Old 02-13-2009, 10:38 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

I had the same thing- it's probably just not assembled properly, one notch off. These things are like super 3-D puzzles, took forever to get it just right. I'm sure someone else can give specific tips, but none from me, sorry!

Good luck
former Tony//Kart shifterkart owner
Old 02-13-2009, 10:56 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Location: Reno NV, Bay Area during most weeks,, Kids still in NH
Send a message via AIM to 9dreizig
Yup, it totally depends on how it's assembled, take it apart again and put it back together again.
T
91 Spec Miata (yeah I race a chick car)
"life"ll kill ya" Warren Zevon
Old 02-13-2009, 01:00 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Blitzkrieg

Thanks guys! I got it assembled right, but have other issues now. The boot kits I bought (Meyle) don't allow any room for the big clamp with the allen bolts installed. The Allen heads fit snuggly against the boot.

Also there is some minor wear, and I'm debating if I should just replace the whole joints. They are the orignal joints as they're stamped with a 77' on them.
Old 02-13-2009, 01:27 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jly535 View Post
Thanks guys! I got it assembled right, but have other issues now. The boot kits I bought (Meyle) don't allow any room for the big clamp with the allen bolts installed. The Allen heads fit snuggly against the boot.

Also there is some minor wear, and I'm debating if I should just replace the whole joints. They are the original joints as they're stamped with a 77' on them.
Make sure you use the original spring washers behind the center "star" on the shaft else you are going to have too much play and the clip could get knocked off. I had the same problem with the larger boot area, not being about to get a clamp on there. The boot fit very tightly, so I left the clamp off and all has been well. There's a rib there, so it holds the boot on extremely tight. I used off-road boots because they last longer and can take severe punishment. Many have had their new factory-like boots ripped after only a few miles. I don't know what's up with that, probably cheap stuff. You can polish the inside of the channels and clean things up. Worked for me. Mine feel like brand new. Use new bolts and schnoor washers from Macmaster-Carr.
Old 02-13-2009, 04:22 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
Blitzkrieg

Quote:
Originally Posted by zcoker View Post
Make sure you use the original spring washers behind the center "star" on the shaft else you are going to have too much play and the clip could get knocked off. I had the same problem with the larger boot area, not being about to get a clamp on there. The boot fit very tightly, so I left the clamp off and all has been well. There's a rib there, so it holds the boot on extremely tight. I used off-road boots because they last longer and can take severe punishment. Many have had their new factory-like boots ripped after only a few miles. I don't know what's up with that, probably cheap stuff. You can polish the inside of the channels and clean things up. Worked for me. Mine feel like brand new. Use new bolts and schnoor washers from Macmaster-Carr.

Thanks! I guess I'll do a little polishing today.
Old 02-14-2009, 11:16 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: