Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
After the next project

Garage
Oil feed for Turbo (fitting on case)

I am in need for some help. I have recently rebuilt my motor (full top end) and the car has never run better. The only problem is the fitting on top of the case where the oil supply line for the turbo fits into is leaking (very slightly). When I rebuilt the motor I removed this fitting and replaced the crush washer that is under it but noticed that it was very hard to tighten up but the threads looked fine. Is this perhaps a taper-fit... meaning that the tighter you go, the harder it is to turn?

I want to tighten it more but I'm afraid that I will hurt something.

Question: What do you recommend to seal this better? I was thinking maybe a little loctite 574 but wasn't sure. Has anyone else had this problem?

Here is a picture of the fitting for reference underneath the turbo oil supply line.

Thanks,
Bryan

This was before I rebuilt the motor but you get the idea.

Old 02-13-2009, 04:31 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Hay Bryan, I'll trade you my oil leak for yours
Old 02-13-2009, 07:02 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Manassas, VA

Garage
Bryan,
You are correct in assuming that the crush washer should seal this fitting. The problem is that the oil line and engine case reducer fitting are hollow and can distort under severe wrench torque. Possibly your fittings were over-torqued at one time. The best fix for this is to replace the fittings and torque them to spec (35 Nm or 26 ft-lb).
The engine case reducer is P/N 930-107-705-00 and is $28.00.
The banjo bolt is P/N 930-107-706-00 and is $30.25.
The 14x18mm sealing rings for both sides of the banjo bolt are P/N 900-123-007-30 and are $0.25 each.
The 18x22mm sealing ring under the engine case reducer is P/N 900-123-140-30 and is also $0.25.
The oil line fitting is probably OK, but you can test this by marking-up the contact areas with dykem or black marker and test fitting the bolt with minimal torque. It should take off the marking all the way around the sealing surface of the new crush washers.

You may want to ensure your engine case is flat.

I would also use a tap to chase the threads in the engine case. I believe the thread size is M18x1.5mm, not taper. Use some grease on the tap to catch the metal shavings.

Mark
Old 02-13-2009, 07:47 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Hello Bryan,

just one question, the white/gray plastic cover,
lower left side in your picture, what is this?
I have a 87 930 and don`t have this cover.

I am currently replacing the oil feed tube
with a braided hose. My tube was leaking,
better the rubber hose connection was leaking.

Falk
Old 02-14-2009, 12:48 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
After the next project

Garage
Thanks Guys

I appreciate the help. I will tackle this tomorrow.

Falk, that is the cover that directs air to the on-board oil cooler. I know some people who have added another oil filter in place of that cooler. If you have one down there instead of the cooler maybe that is why your's is missing.

If not, then you need to get one. This helps to cool in a big way and could also waste the cooling air that needs to go down through your cylinders as that hole would be the easiest place for the air to escape.

Bryan

This is a picture from when I first pulled my motor. Pretty dirty.

Old 02-14-2009, 12:27 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
After the next project

Garage
Question

Mark,

When you recommended chasing the threads, I am fearful that the metal shaving would just disappear in that hole. Unless my motor is out of the car and turned upside down how would I avoid this?

Any ideas would help.

Thanks again for all the part numbers. That will help a ton,

Bryan
Old 02-14-2009, 12:29 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

OFF THE BOOST PIPE NOW...

I remember assembling mine and praying I didn't strip the case with that banjo bolt. Maybe try new crushwashers (they're not all the same).
Old 02-14-2009, 02:03 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Garage
I just pulled the same fitting from my block two nights ago during a complete teardown and some of the threads came out with the fitting. This was on a 84 block that had never been apart before and it appeared there was some type a thread sealer used. Not sure if this is a common problem but I noticed the parts list on pelican has a heli coil for the threads of this fitting. part # 999-504-127-00-OEM
Old 02-14-2009, 03:00 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)
After the next project

Garage
Updates

All the threads look good. I remember being unsure if I was using the correct sealing ring when I replaced it during the top end.

It appeared to not be down all the way even though it was tight. I think the last thread or two inside the case may not be in the best shape or I used the incorrect sealing ring.

I will order new crush washers and then add a little loctite 574 to the threads of the adapter which threads into the case to be sure. this is definitely where I was leaking.

I have attached some pics of the banjo and case fitting. They look good.

Bryan

Old 02-15-2009, 09:47 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: