Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Twins are more fun!

Interesting run-in with a 997TT

I don't normally street race, but this time I wanted to satisfy my curiosity

Whilst I was cruising down the FWY, I had 3 straight line races with a brand spanking new 997TT. I was pleasantly surprised to see that my 20 year old turbo'd Carrera pulled away from him in each run, about 1.5 - 2 car lengths ahead each time!

At the lights, the owner rolled down his window and said "Very impressive! Obviously you've done some work to it?".

That must mean, at 1.0bar of boost, my car must be putting out a little more than 480HP Pretty wrapped about that.

(3.3, Protomotive MAP ECU, EFI, GT2 EVO CAMs, Twin Plugged, Twin Turbo's)
Old 02-13-2009, 05:47 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Garage
Very impressive! Not that I'm supporting Street Racing, But Good for you, nice to have a little fun once in a while, long as its done safely. I bet that guy is still thinking about it also, but not in a good way! lol
Old 02-13-2009, 06:16 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Twins are more fun!

It was completely safe... no cars around and just two turbo nuts cruising around

Old 02-13-2009, 06:54 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Garage
James, i hate to bust your bubble or dis your ride, but the guy you 'raced' against was an example of what i have observed driving most new Porsche's, esp TT's these days... a card carrying member of the new Porsche owner Pansy Club. Unless you have some serious mods to that engine of yours, the AWD 997TT will spank a turbo'd Carrera in the hands of someone who doesn't just take it to the club on sunday for golf lessons.

BTW, did u turbo your Carrera with Ben's kit, or DIY? Did you do and engine rebuild, or just bolt up a kit? Would love to hear what u did, as it does sound like you are making some good power.

You might want to do a dyno pull just for kicks to see what you are actually making and make sure you AFRs are good.
1965 Karman Ghia-Class winner 2007 Carrera Panamericana/Ducati 900ss/GhezziBrian STW
D-Zug Produkte/D-Zug.com
Old 02-13-2009, 08:29 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
Twins are more fun!

930 p&c's, gt2 evo cams, proto chip & fpr, gsf headers, full bay IC, gt35r bb turbo & free flowing exhaust.

Im talking straight line power runs, reaching pretty high speeds. You don't have to be a track star to drive fast straight

Old 02-13-2009, 11:50 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Wow Congratulations!
Its always nice to see an oldschool dinosaur kill a modern superduper car .
The GT35R surely must deliver some serious power at 1,0bar.
Never been on a dyno?
Old 02-14-2009, 12:31 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Twins are more fun!

No dyno as yet. Oh, I also have a MAP/pressure-sensing based ECU, not AFM.

Proto put their Stage3 systems at 550HP @ 1.25bar, so at 1.0bar, I'm estimating I'm at around the 500 vicinity, probably a tad more with the GT2 CAMs. When I ran him, I had the EBC off to see what it can do at a base boost level of 1bar.

New 997TT specs are:

Power 353 kW (480 bhp),
Max. torque (Nm) at rpm 620 Nm (Overboost: 680 Nm)

It's also a heavier car than my '89 Carrera, weighing in a 1.6 - 1.7 tonnes

I didn't look down at my speedo but I was deep into 4th gear each time when I backed off, putting me at around 140mhp (give or take)?

Last edited by JMA-RUF; 02-14-2009 at 02:03 AM..
Old 02-14-2009, 01:59 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Quote:
930 p&c's, gt2 evo cams, proto chip & fpr, gsf headers, full bay IC, gt35r bb turbo & free flowing exhaust.
That'll do it, I know someone running pretty much the same setup and it's silly quick. Nice work!! Those power levels are where yellowbird was, your weight would be around the same too (they weren't super light weight):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vdwQsAIm-Z8
'18 C63S Coupe
Old 02-14-2009, 04:29 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMA-RUF View Post

Im talking straight line power runs, reaching pretty high speeds. You don't have to be a track star to drive fast straight
Nice bitz, definately sounds like it could deliver some mail.

Despite the fact that the 997TT is a pig, that AWD just gets the power down (in capable hands) much better than our RWD.

Always fun to show up some poser tho in his 150k-mobile w/ an 'old' Porsche. I've found that more often than not, victory in street racing is about who has the bigger ballz to keep keep his foot down the longest.

Show us some pix or ur motor/ride/build when u get a chance. Stock sleeper?
1965 Karman Ghia-Class winner 2007 Carrera Panamericana/Ducati 900ss/GhezziBrian STW
D-Zug Produkte/D-Zug.com
Old 02-14-2009, 05:29 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Good for you James- it is always a great feeling to torture new cars!

I got the same feeling when I tortured a guy in a new Z06- I dropped into 2nd gear around 80mph and whaled it- I got sideways (real close to his car), shot a large flame upon rev-limiter, and walked away. He pulled up next to me later and said "what the F**k was that?! This car is brand new and that one is like... old... good race"
ahh, how much fun
2008 C6/Z51 Corvette
Old 02-14-2009, 10:52 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

New cars are going through what motorcycles already did.

Bikes used to be really lightweight and as they steadily went from 750cc to 900cc to 1000 cc, they just got faster every year, until one day in the 1990s they just started gaining weight. Motorcycle performance increases lately have been a struggle to get some weight back off while complying with nazi enviromental policies. Enormous thirty pound exhaust units to comply with noise regulations, ect.

Motorcycles are using titanium everything and still fighting the bulge.

With new cars, they just weigh so much. Even the ZR-1 weighs MORE than the Z-06. It is really tough to get back to old school.

New Porsche turbos are never going to weigh less than 3,400 lbs. So with equal power, the lighter car wins.

It is easy to keep up with new cars because one part of the equation...weight...will ALWAYS favor the old school.
Old 02-14-2009, 11:52 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)
Blackbird Pilot

Over on 6speed a few 996tt guys are hardcore about losing weight and getting in touch with the 930 spirit..one guy has his down to 2,800 lbs.

There is hope out there - but as for stock cars, yeah its sooo unfair its not funny. The newer cars are like driving an appliance or refrigerator with a TV in it, function and great to look at and use, but take the drama and feel out of the equation.

Can't wait to meet up with the modded 996tt crowd in Houston - its gonna be a hoot!
Old 02-15-2009, 02:51 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Low Speed, High Drag

Garage
A modded 930 should have no problem with a 997tt.
Old 02-15-2009, 07:28 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

I don't know what to tell you, other than the same thing has happened to me few times already at different places (twisties & track...); however, I agree with some of you guys about that it depends A LOT on the driver's skills because the new cars are almost on rails and almost boring.

Regardless of who's ahead, the 930 is LOTS more fun and challenging to drive than the AWD, ABS, PASM, Coilovered, Chrono, Twin-T... M2c.
Old 02-15-2009, 07:38 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaper930 View Post
Over on 6speed a few 996tt guys are hardcore about losing weight and getting in touch with the 930 spirit..one guy has his down to 2,800 lbs.

There is hope out there - but as for stock cars, yeah its sooo unfair its not funny. The newer cars are like driving an appliance or refrigerator with a TV in it, function and great to look at and use, but take the drama and feel out of the equation.

Can't wait to meet up with the modded 996tt crowd in Houston - its gonna be a hoot!
996TTs are getting cheap enough to just strip it down when you buy it and not worry about resell value.
Old 02-15-2009, 07:50 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)
Blackbird Pilot

Amen - like i said before - wife's daily driver
Old 02-15-2009, 09:09 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)
Me like track days

What ZLP said - no problems. P/W ratio should be pretty close, probably more on your side -
Old 02-15-2009, 05:01 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)
Low Speed, High Drag

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig 930 RS View Post
What ZLP said - no problems. P/W ratio should be pretty close, probably more on your side -
With a 2500lbs 930 its WAY more on our side. It's not just that though, with the 4 speed we save a LOT of time by not shifting. If you have to shift 1 or 2 times less than a new turbo while racing it saves you a couple tenths per shift. A couple tenths at 100+mph is more distance than most would think.
Old 02-15-2009, 05:29 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)
Twins are more fun!

I have a G50 5 spd... no doubt he'd have a higher top end speed than me, but still

Old 02-15-2009, 05:40 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)
Large Member

Garage
As others have noted and in no way discounting your car or story...

...my experience has demonstrated it *clearly* comes down to either the driver's skill (or lack thereof more typically), or the driver's BALLZ (a/k/a lack of brains - equal and inverse in proportion).

I know I've run other cars in situ where I was notably outgun'd, and I either held my own or came out ahead. Mostly cause 1) I'm dumb, and 2) I've lots of experience doing 'such' (defer to #1).

Keep in mind, Mr. 997tt's rolling along in a strong six-figure car that's likely barely broken in, he's still learning it's limits, and is keenly aware of what he paid for it.

My guess.

Doesn't make it less fun tho 8-). Keep up the good werk... _rep_re_sent_ heh heh.

FWIW, the 2x I've come across one of 'those' in situ while in der 930 he was putzing along going 56. Posers, typically. "Whattayagot that's expensive" syndrome...

| '07 S6 | '98 M3 vert | '01 M5 | '96 993 C2 cab | '05 S600 Sport - biturbo V12@Just Not Right 495rwhp / 612rwtq |
| '58 TR3A | '01 S8 | '95 S6 6gang | '88 M5 | '87 190E 2.3-16 |
Old 02-15-2009, 06:10 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #20 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: