Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Twins are more fun!

Critique my TT exhaust design

I'm thinking of having one of these built... all in 3" tubing:

How much do you think it'd cost to have built using mandrel tubing?

The Dynomax X-Flo Muffler costs $132 and the tips are $50ea.

(3.3, Protomotive MAP ECU, EFI, GT2 EVO CAMs, Twin Plugged, Twin Turbo's)

Last edited by JMA-RUF; 02-13-2009 at 07:21 PM..
Old 02-13-2009, 07:18 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Crotchety Old Bastard

Garage
Turbos don't like back pressure or turbulance. I would use one muffler per side such as this configuration:

Old 02-13-2009, 08:17 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Twins are more fun!

Looks similar to this, except it's all enclosed and it has cats:

Internally, it must have parallel paths.

Old 02-14-2009, 01:07 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Twins are more fun!

Another interesting one!

Old 02-14-2009, 01:11 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
Twins are more fun!

OR, use two of these, one for each turbo, inlet on the top and outlet and the bottom (same side)?

Old 02-14-2009, 01:24 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMA-RUF View Post
OR, use two of these, one for each turbo, inlet on the top and outlet and the bottom (same side)?

I would think that would not be ideal straight through and very little bends will be the best

914-6 2.4s GT tribute.
914-6werkshop.com manufacturer of 914-6, GT, Conversion parts
Old 02-14-2009, 04:22 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Screw mufflers!!! the turbo is more than enough noise regulation, just fab up a couple short straight pipes!!
just my .02
Old 02-14-2009, 10:03 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
Twins are more fun!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarheelturbo View Post
Screw mufflers!!! the turbo is more than enough noise regulation, just fab up a couple short straight pipes!!
just my .02
Haha! I wish

It would sound cool, but annoyingly loud after a while

Imagine the sound of twins spooling up

Old 02-14-2009, 11:26 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)
Twins are more fun!

These PowerTone mufflers look pretty cool. 10” length, 5” diameter, 2.25”- 3” in / 2.25” - 2.5” out $125.00. NOTE: Our smallest muffler, it fits everywhere. Available with 4 blades to use behind a Turbo to eliminate lag, or use a pair behind your V-6 for a deep and throaty sound (Nissan Maxima & Altima 3.5, Honda & Acura,...). Use the 6 blade to quiet down a 4 cyl. application with a 4 blade PowerTip out the rear for maximum torque with a minimum of noise.

I'm thinking, I could have a pair of these hanging off the back of the turbo's and route the exhaust tips through to the centre of the bumper, like RarlyL8's GT3 style exit

Here's a pic of a "Cooper S" exhaust using these:

Last edited by JMA-RUF; 02-14-2009 at 12:29 PM..
Old 02-14-2009, 12:22 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)
Blackbird Pilot

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMA-RUF View Post

Imagine the sound of twins spooling up
This sound never gets old...here's my twins. Tarheel is right...straight pipes are restrictive enough and a turbo is nothing but a spinning muffler when it comes to sound impact. Come to the dark side - we will make you all powerful

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sYbj6nrFjxs
Old 02-15-2009, 01:40 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)
Twins are more fun!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaper930 View Post
This sound never gets old...here's my twins. Tarheel is right...straight pipes are restrictive enough and a turbo is nothing but a spinning muffler when it comes to sound impact. Come to the dark side - we will make you all powerful

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sYbj6nrFjxs
WOW! I absolutely love it! That's the style exhaust I want, but with two of these small 10" bullet style mufflers

Something like this

Old 02-15-2009, 02:41 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)
Forced Induction Junkie

Garage
Has anyone ever tried using the "cats only" as a solution? Granted, it's a very expensive solution, but those that must use cats for emissions.....

The cats do provide some sound wave dampening....just don't know how much.
Werk I Zuffenhausen 3.3l/330BHP Engine with Sonderwunsch Cams, FabSpeed Headers, Kokeln IC, Twin Plugged Electromotive Crankfire, Tial Wastegate(0.8 Bar), K27 Hybrid Turbo, Ruf Twin-tip Muffler, Fikse FM-5's 8&10x17, 8:41 R&P
Old 02-15-2009, 06:05 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Hey James -

I actually use the muffler and routing you outlined in the first post. It works just fine, but next time I'll do the separate straight thru's that Brian suggested (post #2).

Burns has some nice ss racing units that would make a sweet system.
Old 02-15-2009, 08:02 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by WERK-I View Post
Has anyone ever tried using the "cats only" as a solution? Granted, it's a very expensive solution, but those that must use cats for emissions.....

The cats do provide some sound wave dampening....just don't know how much.

Plenty in my opinion Some good high flow 100 cell cats into straight pipes would be my choice of exhaust setup. You could always make it modular with V bands and some removable straight sections that allowed you to insert some resonators to tone it down a bit further if the neighbors started to complain
Old 02-15-2009, 12:06 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)
Me like track days

You don't need mufflers...............heat traps.
Old 02-15-2009, 03:02 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)
Twins are more fun!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig 930 RS View Post
You don't need mufflers...............heat traps.
Unfortunately.... I do for my street car

Old 02-15-2009, 03:08 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: