Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Blackbird Pilot

Porsche Test Driver Killed...Sad Day - RIP Brother

Doing what we love to do...

Link

Quote:
A 51-year-old died in Germany this morning following an accident involving a Porsche 911 cabrio prototype. The victim, a Porsche engineer, was driving the car on the A5 Autobahn when he lost control and slammed into a guard rail.

The one-car accident happened at 2:45am just past the Weiterstadt exit on the motorway. Photos of the scene show the sports car wedged under the barrier, with the rail making contact near where the driver's head and torso would have been.

A spokesman for Porsche said the engineer "was one of the most experienced test drivers." The company representative confirmed that the car was a camouflaged cabrio covered with foil to mask parts of the vehicle's appearance. He also noted that, although it did not rollover, the convertible does not have the same resilience as a coupe.

Police and fire department personnel responded to the scene from nearby Darmstadt. The public prosecutor there has taken charge of the ongoing investigation. The location of the accident was midway between Frankfurt and Heidelberg, in the German province of Hessen.

It is not yet known what caused the accident. Witnesses say the driver, who has worked for the German company for 25 years, was driving a prototype of a new Porsche 991 model at a high rate of speed. That stretch of road does not have a speed limit. He was being followed by a second Porsche testdriver in a camouflaged four-door Porsche Panamera prototype.

That driver successfully evaded the crash, and escaped unharmed. Although the accident did take place at an unusual hour, both drivers were working on a 10pm to 6am shift. An initial damage estimate is said to be several thousands of Euro.

Old 02-14-2009, 01:22 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

oh my God what a horror scenario!
Shocking...

- RIP -
Old 02-14-2009, 02:08 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Twins are more fun!

Absolutely tragic indeed

(3.3, Protomotive MAP ECU, EFI, GT2 EVO CAMs, Twin Plugged, Twin Turbo's)
Old 02-14-2009, 02:44 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Garage
Now THAT is the way to check out fellas... haulin' ass down the autobahn in ur ride instead of stuck in some ICU with IV drips and on a ventilator.
1965 Karman Ghia-Class winner 2007 Carrera Panamericana/Ducati 900ss/GhezziBrian STW
D-Zug Produkte/D-Zug.com
Old 02-14-2009, 04:11 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by juicersr View Post
Now THAT is the way to check out fellas... haulin' ass down the autobahn in ur ride instead of stuck in some ICU with IV drips and on a ventilator.
I agree but I would like to do it at the time and place of my choosing...

There is no sports car on earth that would have prevented that injury, the guy is wedged under the gaurd rail.
Old 02-14-2009, 06:28 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
Blackbird Pilot

I got a creepy but relaxing thought as soon as I read the article...I know that's how i'm going to go - its just a manner of which project car will be my last.

You only get 1 go at this crazy race, no fear, no regrets.
Old 02-14-2009, 06:45 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaper930 View Post
I got a creepy but relaxing thought as soon as I read the article...I know that's how i'm going to go - its just a manner of which project car will be my last.

You only get 1 go at this crazy race, no fear, no regrets.
I once asked a guy why he smoked cigarettes and he said "At least I get to choose my fate"
Old 02-14-2009, 06:56 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by DDDD View Post
I once asked a guy why he smoked cigarettes and he said "At least I get to choose my fate"
What, coming into the ER or doctor's office each winter for multiple bronchitis infections, eventually to die a slow agonizing death from lung CA or pulmonary failure?

My favorite quote is, 'Want to make Fate laugh? Tell it your plans' Just gotta go all out doing what u enjoy. I'm sure that driver's wife told him everyday that he shouldnt do what he did, but hell, what's the point of any of this if ur not having fun? Bet that guy had a helluva lot more fun on the job than most.
1965 Karman Ghia-Class winner 2007 Carrera Panamericana/Ducati 900ss/GhezziBrian STW
D-Zug Produkte/D-Zug.com
Old 02-14-2009, 07:30 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)
Registered

Location: Reno NV, Bay Area during most weeks,, Kids still in NH
Send a message via AIM to 9dreizig
You guys are nuts! I'm going out one of three ways,, Grizzly bear, avalanche , or pissed off husband/boyfriend.
Back on topic,, sad story ...
91 Spec Miata (yeah I race a chick car)
"life"ll kill ya" Warren Zevon
Old 02-14-2009, 07:41 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)
Manassas, VA

Garage
If the guardrail had been about 30 centimeters lower, he would have just bounced off. We should all learn from this accident. Look around on the way to work, the track, or wherever you occasionally drive. See where the guardrail ends are not protected, notice the high curbs, look out for the blind driveways. These are the things that get in the way of having fun with our cars and remind us to slow down sometimes.

Then, when you find a long section with no impediments you can let 'er rip.

Mark
Old 02-14-2009, 09:20 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaper930 View Post
Doing what we love to do...
Link
That is a really horrible scene on so many levels.

That poor bastard likely got cut in half, I just hope that he didn't see it coming. And even though he was a test driver, I hope that he got that usual "about to crash a porsche, last second thought- how much is this going to cost?" instead of fearing for his life. That is a true tragedy...

On another note... do you think that was a next gen, direct injected twin-turbo?
2008 C6/Z51 Corvette
Old 02-14-2009, 09:35 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

What a horrible scene...

i have to say theres nothing wrong with going out in a blaze of glory.. whole lot better than a lot of deaths!!

RIP brother!!
Old 02-14-2009, 09:52 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)
Registered

Here's the car he was driving
http://911uk.com/viewtopic.php?t=41215
2002 996TT
1984 930 Turbo (gone and missed)
Old 02-14-2009, 03:10 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)
OFF THE BOOST PIPE NOW...

RIP. I hear the autobahn is supposed to be safe for high speed driving, but as suggested that rail looks high, even after it's been pushed up by the car.
Old 02-14-2009, 03:56 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)
Registered

Location: Reno NV, Bay Area during most weeks,, Kids still in NH
Send a message via AIM to 9dreizig
were these guys racing ??
91 Spec Miata (yeah I race a chick car)
"life"ll kill ya" Warren Zevon
Old 02-14-2009, 06:56 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9dreizig View Post
were these guys racing ??
We prefer to say "testing", thanks!

- Weedmeister, CEO Porsche

P.S. Did I mention our other car is safer?

Old 02-14-2009, 07:26 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: