Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Babysitting an '86 930..

Is there an FAQ someone could point me to re: what a newbie should know about 930's.. (maint, common problems, recommended shops etc..)

I'm borrowing a totally stock 930 from the original owner for a while and want to make sure I take good care of her.

Car is all original, 36k miles (garage queen).

Seems to run really well.. other than a wisp of smoke on startup, everything seems tip top.

Thanks!
Old 02-15-2009, 02:25 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

I would welcome such a chore. My suggestion would be keep her filled with fluids, treat her right and have a ball. It has ben my experience these cars need/ like to be pushed.
John G
Old 02-15-2009, 05:12 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

You must be one he!! of a guy. Or is someone missing their Turbo from the garage???
Old 02-15-2009, 05:22 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Chain fence eating turbo

1. Make sure the engine is at operating temperature before making any boost.
2. Make sure the roads are dry and the tires are warm before making any boost.
Cory - turbo'd '87 C3.2 Guards/Blk, 3.4, 7.5:1 CR P & C's, soon to be 993SS cams and GSXR 750 ITB's fed by 964 intake, Borg-Warner S366 turbo @ 1.4 bar, Treadstone full bay IC, TiAL F46 WG, HKS 1 1/2" BOV, twin 044 pumps, MegaSquirt 2 (v3.57 board) w/EDIS, Tramont wheels (285's rr, 225's frt), Big Reds frt, 993 rr., tower brace, MOMO wheel
Old 02-15-2009, 05:40 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Go slow into the turn`s and fast out of them...
Old 02-15-2009, 05:49 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Thanks everyone.. I've got a quick question.

I've had a few turbocharged vehicles before and it seems like this one either has low boost or maybe it takes a full wide open throttle to get boost built up (which I haven't been able to do yet).

The car has a mechanical boost gauge where the clock was and from what I can tell.. the boost does come on but it's sluggish and "fleeting" if that makes sense.

With my previous turbo vehicles, if I was at 2500+ rpm the gauge would come register boost with barely a touch of the throttle.. with this car.. it's really sluggish.

I've reviewed the low boost posts and wondered if there would be something that I could check relatively easily.. I keep reading about a BPV, but don't know where it is in the engine bay.

Cheers!
Old 02-16-2009, 10:33 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by scmguru View Post
low boost or maybe it takes a full wide open throttle to get boost built up (which I haven't been able to do yet)..... the boost does come on but it's sluggish and "fleeting" if that makes sense... with this car.. it's really sluggish.
Cheers!
welcome to the world of stock 930 turbos!!!
2008 C6/Z51 Corvette
Old 02-16-2009, 12:09 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
Adrenaline Junkie

Garage
Want to trade a really cool German clock for that ridiculously stupid boost gauge?

They come out real easy, too! When the owner returns home,, he will be incredibly happy you thought so much of him to make the swap! Besides, there is never really any need to look over in that direction.
Old 02-16-2009, 01:36 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tippy View Post
1. Make sure the engine is at operating temperature before making any boost.
2. Make sure the roads are dry and the tires are warm before making any boost.
Do not forget #3. Hold on tite before making boost

and #4 Do not restrain smile after boost
Old 02-16-2009, 05:35 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)
Automotive Monomaniac

Garage
The stock 930 has a ton of turbo lag... and then all hell breaks loose! That is completely normal, just like the puff of smoke upon startup.

The "lag" is what helped feed the "widow maker" reputation. Many inexperienced drivers would get the boost mid-corner, lift off the gas, and then spin into a tree.

- Mike
Old 02-16-2009, 06:51 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: