Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Stripped rear motor mount threads

Somehow the threads in the engine mount hole are partially pulled; I really cannot get a good snug pull on the wrench.
What is the advice to fix the engine mount threads?

Timecerts
Case-Saver
Drill and tap

The bolt is fine for right now, but now I need to remove the turbo for another blunder I performed and just
know the rest of the threads will come out with the bolt this time and will need to be addressed at that time.

The bolt is circled in red below.

Old 02-16-2009, 06:47 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Garage
I can't identify the bolt from the picture, but I'd definitely go with a Time-Cert, especially if the underlying material is aluminum. I can't tell from the picture. A Case-Saver would work fine too, but may be over-kill. I wouldn't consider drill-and-tap for a structural hole in aluminum or magnesium.

"It's a poor craftsman who blames their tools" -- Unknown
"Any suspension -- no matter how poorly designed -- can be made to work reasonably well if you just stop it from moving." -- Colin Chapman
Old 02-17-2009, 09:01 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

The bolt is one of the 2 bolts holding the nose plate onto the engine. (The crank pully for the fan belts is right behind it)
The cross member bolts to this plate where the rear 2 engine mount bolts attach it to the chassis. (i.e. the rubber mount engine mounts)

The bracket the bolt is going through is the turbo support mount.
Old 02-17-2009, 09:12 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

+1 on the time-cert
I have a simaler problem because the previous owner/ mechanic thought it would be cool to use a standard bolt on the upper left hand bolt on the motor mount- in my case I am going to use a time-cert.
Your better off than I am, at least yours is in the bottom where you could sneak a drill into. Mine is going to suck a little bit.
2008 C6/Z51 Corvette
Old 02-17-2009, 09:13 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

That same one was stripped on my car and it is important that it is secure.
While I had the motor mount off last summer I time serted it and the one to the left of it.

The time-sert kit is 10x1.5mm, part #1015. It came with 5 inserts.
I googled it to find a place that sold it and did an online order, it cost around $80 with shipping.

Here's a pic after installing the time serts. It is actually an improvement, the time serts are stronger than the aluminum threads.
Old 02-18-2009, 09:13 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Now that is what I call a quality repair!
I have to do that on the upper left tap on my car.
2008 C6/Z51 Corvette
Old 02-18-2009, 09:25 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

You won't need a drill to install them.

The new drill bit and countersink bits that come in the time-sert kit drill into and do their job in the aluminum case very quickly and easily using the longer clamping handle from a tap and die set.

It's probably safer to do them by hand because it goes a little slower while you are being sure to drill straight into the origonal hole and not go too far.
Old 02-18-2009, 09:52 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Thanks for the post JFairman!

I found them at http://www.hrpworld.com/index.cfm?tpc=Time-Sert_Metric_Thread_Repair_Kits&form_prod_id=1093,587_5983&action=product

Ordering today!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFairman View Post
That same one was stripped on my car and it is important that it is secure.
While I had the motor mount off last summer I time serted it and the one to the left of it.

The time-sert kit is 10x1.5mm, part #1015. It came with 5 inserts.
I googled it to find a place that sold it and did an online order, it cost around $80 with shipping.

Here's a pic after installing the time serts. It is actually an improvement, the time serts are stronger than the aluminum threads.
Old 02-18-2009, 09:57 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Here is a quick pic for what you get for $80!

Old 02-18-2009, 10:01 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

I also bought this set to fix some pulled/stripped cylinder head exhaust studs that were causing a leak at the header flange.
M8x1.25 Time-Sert Metric Insert Kit w/(5) 11.7mm Length Inserts TST-1812

They also sell 8x1.25 inserts that are 17mm long which I used for the exhaust studs. I drilled them carefully by hand also, but used a battery drill for the countersink bit while lieing on my back under the car.

Last edited by JFairman; 02-19-2009 at 08:23 PM..
Old 02-18-2009, 10:16 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: