Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

HP Question

Greetings:

Years ago, I did a highway roll (3 times) against a Lamborghini Countach LP500 Quattrovalvole 3284 weight & 455-470Hp. I easily walked him with my 82SC Targa. We both pulled off the road and spoke briefly. The Lambo driver was a surgeon and he just couldn't believe what just happened. I rebuilt my 915-Trans. & engine (3.3 Turbo) -rebuilt from the ground up. What kind of Hp. to wheels do you think I have? I am quessing between 380-400whp. Has anyone met up with one these vehicles or something similar? Your input is most appreciated...

Thnxs.

Walt

Old 02-17-2009, 11:47 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Well what mods do you have done to the 3.3 motor? You could get around 400 on a CiS car. Craig got about 430 out of his with fuel system mods, big k27, IC, twinplug, SC heads, and a few other goodies.
Stock- a 930 motor is good for about 280-300 horse at the flywheel.

anyway, depends on what you got done- tell me more
2008 C6/Z51 Corvette
Old 02-17-2009, 12:03 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Greetings: 1989-3.3 engine New rings-, main bearings, new oil lines, cylinders honed, SC-Cams, 2 fuel pumps, K-27 7006, K&N,Magnecor wires,B&B dual exhaust, No cat-,1Bar Spring, HKS-Fuel Enrich. Sys. No Ac-unit. I still have the stock intercooler & headers. At the time I was shooting flames. Currently, I am installing a front oil cooler, 930s valance, MSD ignition, NGK-Racing plugs, Fuel pumps,acculmator, tires.... I haven't upgraded the brakes. (Big mistake),.
I do the work mostly myself at my buddys shop. Keeps the expense down for now.....Never ends.

Thnxs

Walt.
Old 02-17-2009, 12:22 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by wjfk32 View Post
The Lambo driver was a surgeon and he just couldn't believe what just happened
Sounds to me like another case of someone trying to buy speed and prestige, vs. the know-how of making that investment perform. You would think that even a novice driver could make that Lambo come alive and eat an SC Targa. But I must admit I've never been anywhere near a Lambo, and for all I know they're over rated.
Mark H. 1987 930, GP White, Wevo shifter, Borla exhaust, stock everything else. The result of a massive Pelicanite good will fire recovery effort. Truely an open book, ready for the slippery slopes to modification.
Old 02-17-2009, 12:29 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by wjfk32 View Post
Greetings: 1989-3.3 engine New rings-, main bearings, new oil lines, cylinders honed, SC-Cams, 2 fuel pumps, K-27 7006, K&N,Magnecor wires,B&B dual exhaust, No cat-,1Bar Spring, HKS-Fuel Enrich. Sys. No Ac-unit. I still have the stock intercooler & headers. At the time I was shooting flames. Currently, I am installing a front oil cooler, 930s valance, MSD ignition, NGK-Racing plugs, Fuel pumps,acculmator, tires.... I haven't upgraded the brakes. (Big mistake),.
I do the work mostly myself at my buddys shop. Keeps the expense down for now.....Never ends.

Thnxs

Walt.
Ah yes, the same trap most of us fall into eventually. I too enjoy doing all my own work, which is where this forum is invaluable. Note of caution: If I were you, running at 1.0 bar, I would seriously look into a larger than stock intercooler. Might save or add some life to your engine.
Mark H. 1987 930, GP White, Wevo shifter, Borla exhaust, stock everything else. The result of a massive Pelicanite good will fire recovery effort. Truely an open book, ready for the slippery slopes to modification.
Old 02-17-2009, 12:33 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Well that is a great list to start with on this motor- I would say your about 325-350 at the wheels- The inter cooler and headers are a big factor in the setup. That car should still pull like a freight train though. As for the fuel enrichment- I would yank the HKS unit and exchange it for a modded fuel head with leask adjustible warm up regulator. I hope Craig chimes in on the CIS- he's the guy you want to speak to on that one.
2008 C6/Z51 Corvette
Old 02-17-2009, 01:04 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

user & abuser

Garage
i've heard and read lots of times that the older lambos made no where near the power they claimed.... no first hand experience though.

however 330+hp in an 82 sc should be a blast, especially with 915 gearing (isn't that like a second gear pull in a 930?)... the car is lighter then a 930... so i've not surprised to hear this...
Old 02-17-2009, 01:20 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Garage
Send a message via AIM to msucro Send a message via Yahoo to msucro
All,

There are several formulas available on the Internet that allow you to do a fairly accurate estimate based on 1/4 mi mph (not et). You need to know the actual test weight. It isn't necessary to do an extremely hard start because mph is quite well correlated to power to weight ratio.

Marcus

PS: Doesn't work as well if your car spins the tires a lot...
Old 02-17-2009, 03:32 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Garage
I had a similar experience with a newer aston martin I found on my favorite back road. I got behind him to see if he wanted to play, pretty much expecting to get my azz handed to me. He gunned it, I gunned it and damned if he couldn't get me off his tail. I don't know what kind of hp those are putting down, but I suspect it is pretty heavy. Absolutely stunning car, and sounded even better. Somethings telling me it wasn't Bond driving it either.

81 911SC Coupe Guards Red, Stock. "Zippy"
Old 02-17-2009, 04:44 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

These Porsche turbos, especially the well modded ones are one of the best kept ( by the other car drivers and magazines ) secrets. Not good pi$$ing contest conversation on how you spent a ton only to get dusted by a old Porsche. After all they were originally developed with lots of power capability and with current development parts and technology capable of even more serious performance.

Last edited by voitureltd; 02-17-2009 at 05:38 PM..
Old 02-17-2009, 05:29 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)
Crotchety Old Bastard

Garage
Your probably have around 350HP at the wheels.

Combine the torque you have with the gearing of the 915 and you have a rocket!
To compare, when my car put 300HP to the wheels it ran an 8.5 sec 1/8 mile @ 90mph.
Gotta love the 915!
Old 02-17-2009, 05:56 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Greetings:

Thnxs for the great input. Yup...I did shimmy the spring and not hitting 1bar. I replaced the clock on the dashboard and put a VDO-Turbo gauge, new bilsteins hd's up front and sports in the back. I think I will looking soon for an intercooler or combo with headers...But I am a little skeptcial with the quality of the asian (headers)products ($$$ is the only thing stopping me)...After 4-5years will it fall apart??? Can anyone on this board can verify this. Or point me in the right direction where to go. Much appreciated..
Here r a few pics..

Thnxs
Walt

Old 02-18-2009, 04:36 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Mb911 has a set of headers that he makes to fit these cars with heat and less than B&Bs. I dont know about the China headers- they seem ok and for $380 who cares- they are worth a shot. As for intercooler- I had great luck with my old Kokeln but I am not sure if they are in business anymore. A stock 965 full bay intercooler works well if you could find one.

your car looks great by the way- a true sleeper.
2008 C6/Z51 Corvette
Old 02-18-2009, 06:23 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

Kris. Thanks for the info...I will definetly look into these products.....It never ends!!!!

Walt
Old 02-18-2009, 07:45 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)
Crotchety Old Bastard

Garage
See the 993 based 930 exchanger system in another thread.
SSI also has a quality system for the 930.
If you do use the Asian headers be certain to remove any FOD that could send shrapnel through your turbo and turbo parts through your engine.
Old 02-18-2009, 08:19 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)

Stock 3.3 euro is about 300fwhp (no cat). Boost from .8 bar to 1 bar can add about 30hp, low restriction muffler say 10-15hp for a total of about 340fwhp or 290rwhp depending on the dyno.

You have the euro style headers and it looks like a sport muffler. Spending dollard there would be a dollars chasing a small about of improvement in boost response or HP. Not a lot of HP hiding there. However, the lower the back pressure at the muffler the faster you will get boost and the longer you will hold full boost up top.

Running 1 bar is ok on a cool day w a stock intercooler if you are very careful but not a great idea on a a hot day or if you have been sitting in traffic (heat soak).

I would keep boost under .85 bar until you can get an Inter-cooler. An inter-cooler is good for 30hp-35hp by creating a denser mix to pack into the cylinder. This will be your best single investment and return safe HP. This will get you in the 375fwhp or 325rwhp range which is about the limit of your 7006 turbo.

A 7200 would bring in your boost in about 3-400rpm sooner but will start to fall off a little early at 1 bar.

Next step is SC or C2 cams with larger intake ports and a bigger turbo. Best to put off doing this unless you do them all togeather. This also puts your transmission at much more risk.

Just my opinion.
Old 02-18-2009, 09:12 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)

911ST--Thnxs....I already put SC-Cams into the engine...As I recall, I opened them up a little more. I agree about the intercooler...I try not to drive my car in hot weather-(bummer). Yes I am afraid of detonation. I know if i was reckless in 1st or 2nd gear--bye-bye to the engine...3rd gear 4th is were I play....My car with the 7006 was pulling like a mother to 6000rpm. I just installed my MSD unit inside the cabin - center on top of transmission box-housing. Will provide pics soon. The hardest part driving my car is keeping it straight,,,Very Scary, but GRREEAATTT!!
Old 02-18-2009, 11:17 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)

I can not help myself so here are some more thoughts.

Not being able to hook up might be saving your transmission.

However, for better stick, sell the Fuchs and get some Fox Fuchs replicas. They are 7.5 & 9" by 17 and can run 225/255's. Should be about an even switch as to price. This will give you a 10" wide rear tire. I like the Dunlop Z1 Star spec tires a lot. Very sticky, street, wet, and track worthy. If you have 8" rear Fuchs could run Hankook RS2's in 245/45/16's. Almost as sticky and even more of a bargain.

Then a limited slip and turn the boost down until you get an Inter-cooler.

Might be fun to replace the Turbo rubber with Carrera spoiler rubber to play down the turbo side of things.

Still, what a fun car is at is. Wish I had done something like that.

Enjoy.
Old 02-18-2009, 01:17 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)

I happened to be running down the highway last year and came upon what appeared to be a stock late model A6. No idea what he had under the hood, but he gave me a good run. I was behind the wheel of a mostly stock '87 930 cab, RUF exhaust, 1 bar spring. This year I woulkd like to upgrade to a Kolken IC and turbo and put my girl on a weight loss program. Not sure how far we will get with all that though, a 355 might be in my life soon. Beware, until you drive one of these, you do not know what you are missing.
John G
Old 02-18-2009, 03:22 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)

Greetings:

911ST..Thnxs for input....I just put summitaro 16' 4 tires price approx. $64 a piece, not bad.--I Would like to have RUF rims just for looks.-Oh well...Just spent over $470 on a stupid 930s valance front spoiler w/shipping from Better Bodies..Beware..make sure u have a good sander and dremmel tool if u r doing the instal. Freakin spoiler on the top part is not straight, but wavy....NOT HAPPY...Spent a whole day trying to get the thing in straight plus the over-hang
that goes inside for the bolts to connect to the body is not straight, but curved down...So it will not be flush to the inside of the body.
BEWARE-And speak with a guy named ARMANDO BEFORE ORDERING...

Intercooler search is on the way..

Its a long process to get everything done..On one sat. a week for only 7hrs.shop-open. And doing the job myself.

Walt

Old 02-19-2009, 04:36 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #20 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: