Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

need help!! car acting up! asap!!!

hey i need a little advice if you guys can lend it, i was out tonight and i'm pulling into my fiance's neighborhood, and the tach starts going nuts bounces up and down goes all the way over and then dies out completely, and then when i get in the driveway i cut it off.. and it won't start for about 5 min... then all of a sudden it starts but the tach is still dead, and then i cut if off and try again and it does the same thing...

i can't really think of anything else tat was screwing up other than the boost characteristics were a little different than i had noticed before, it was surging more than normal at 4k and above, and partial throttle up high it would suddenly feel like i let off the throttle and slow down real bad but i was still in it a little, but under wot it pulled as hard as it ever does?? i'm so confused!!!
Old 02-19-2009, 04:46 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
MEMBER # 930

Vacume leak , hose popped off ? Gist a thought !
Old 02-19-2009, 04:54 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Check the voltage regulator.

Make sure you are getting proper voltage from the alternator.
Old 02-19-2009, 05:03 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Crotchety Old Bastard

Garage
Ditto on the alternator. Check all your connections and output.
Old 02-19-2009, 05:05 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Electrical is my vote, as in a bad ground or loose wire at the distributor or coil. The symptoms of the tach doing the mumbo-jumbo are tell-tale signs of bad connections. Your other running symptoms also reek of poor or intermittent spark.
I don't know that I can point you where to look first, but I bet a dozen other guys lurking around here can, so stay tuned!
Mark H. 1987 930, GP White, Wevo shifter, Borla exhaust, stock everything else. The result of a massive Pelicanite good will fire recovery effort. Truely an open book, ready for the slippery slopes to modification.
Old 02-19-2009, 05:05 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to Chuck Jones
Same thing happened to me...turned out to be the alternator....then the battery because it wasn't being charged properly by the alternator...start with the alternator....but you might also check the charge levgel on your battery. Do you have a voltmeter? it should read at least 12.5....preferably 12.7
Old 02-19-2009, 05:15 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck Jones View Post
Same thing happened to me...turned out to be the alternator....then the battery because it wasn't being charged properly by the alternator...start with the alternator....but you might also check the charge levgel on your battery. Do you have a voltmeter? it should read at least 12.5....preferably 12.7
Ditto on the alternator,voltage regulater as the regulater attaches in the alternator. When it was mentioned to me I thought what the ####??, how could that be it. When I checked the voltage output all of a sudden it was vacillating way out of whack at over 16 and all those things started to happen, as yours does. Let sit awhile, restart, Ok for a short time then, Wallah it starts to get nutty. Tried the CD replacement first as that seemed the most logical, but the problem was more toward the beginning of the voltage food chain.

Last edited by voitureltd; 02-20-2009 at 11:25 AM..
Old 02-19-2009, 06:13 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Alternator
1982 930
Old 02-20-2009, 06:57 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Location: Reno NV, Bay Area during most weeks,, Kids still in NH
Send a message via AIM to 9dreizig
+1 on the alternator,, I suggest you charge your battery,, then hook it back up.. Start the engine and look at the voltage, running it shoudl be around 13.8 volts.. if the alternator is going bad will be significantly higher
91 Spec Miata (yeah I race a chick car)
"life"ll kill ya" Warren Zevon
Old 02-20-2009, 07:53 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)
Wayah Road Warrior

I suspect the flames from your boost over-run melted your ..... wait for it ..... alternator!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cZSN_6Alhis

But seriously ... its your alternator.
Old 02-20-2009, 08:37 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

hahaha ... very funny!!

Well thanks everyone for the quick replies.. i got it back down to the shop, and waiting to find out if its the alternator or regulator... hopefully the battery is still good!! but thanks again everyone!!
Old 02-20-2009, 10:57 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: