Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Smart quod bastardus

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 911nut View Post
All you experts are avoiding answering one question: If a shorter spring is a stiffer spring, why is the .8 bar factory spring longer than the .7 bar factory spring?

So, whoever thinks they can explain the in's and out's (and I don't mean providing links to other pages; do it in your own words) of spring mechanics to us all, have at it.
Simple answer from one of the experts.....
Stiffness and force are 2 separate issues. When you increase the wastegate blow off or opening pressure you are increasing the force acting on the wastegate diaphragm via the spring inside the housing. How you get there is the question. You can get the same force from 2 different springs of different stiffness by compressing them different amounts via Hookes Law.
You need to look at all the dimensions of the spring not just its uncompressed length to determine the end result of the force it exerts when compressed in the housing. This cannot be explained easily without looking at the equations and having an understanding of what is going on in the wastegate design.
My original response early on was not meant to insult or hurt feelings but was said in order to prevent the author of this post from doing lots of expensive damage...if I did not care to help I would not have said anything at all.
1979 930 Turbo....3.4L, 7.5to1 comp, SC cams, B&B intercooler, Snow Perf water/meth injection, Rarlyl8 headers, Garret GTX turbo, 36mm ported intakes, Innovate Auxbox/LM-1, custom Manually Adjustable wastegate housing (0.8-1.1bar),--running 0.7bar max
---"When you're racing it's life! Anything else either before or after, is just waiting"
Old 02-22-2009, 06:38 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #41 (permalink)
Manassas, VA

Garage
Spring length also has to do with preload. You want the wastegate valve closed "hard" against its seat otherwise it will leak. If you cut down the spring length, you reduce the preload and the valve seat pressure will be less when it is closed.

Now, if you cut the spring down and then manage to stretch it back to its original length (about 6 3/4" in my wastegate) then you have reduced the number of effective or active coils. With less coils to bend, the spring is now stiffer because it has to move each coil farther in one inch of movement. More lb/in.

Mark
Old 02-22-2009, 07:11 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #42 (permalink)
UNDER CONSTRUCTION!

bingo

i think preload is the over looked factor here. im no expert but reading through all this preload kept comming up in my mind. with less preload wouldnt you in theory need to move the spring less than a longer one to open waste gate and start to dump its boost there for creating a leak sooner not allowing it to ever reach .8 bar.

ed
Old 02-22-2009, 08:16 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #43 (permalink)

Would a Tial spring work in a stock waste gate?
Old 02-22-2009, 08:43 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #44 (permalink)
Happiest when Tinkering

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredmeister View Post
Simple answer from one of the experts.....
Stiffness and force are 2 separate issues. When you increase the wastegate blow off or opening pressure you are increasing the force acting on the wastegate diaphragm via the spring inside the housing. How you get there is the question. You can get the same force from 2 different springs of different stiffness by compressing them different amounts via Hookes Law.
You need to look at all the dimensions of the spring not just its uncompressed length to determine the end result of the force it exerts when compressed in the housing. This cannot be explained easily without looking at the equations and having an understanding of what is going on in the wastegate design.
My original response early on was not meant to insult or hurt feelings but was said in order to prevent the author of this post from doing lots of expensive damage...if I did not care to help I would not have said anything at all.
And I appreciate all the help offered I apologize if I ruffled any feathers I thought nobody was taking me serious with this project. I am bolting on the turbo as we speak and will start this thing up this summer. All of the advise given resulted in me getting a tial wastegate. To answer another question I think that a tial spring could not work properly in a stock wastegate because it would not seat properly ie a smaller spring.
76 911 C.R.A.P. Gruppe #2 BIG time TURBO C.R.A.P. Bitz EFI/EDIS Now MegaSquirt 3
76 Blazer also restored by me
Old 02-23-2009, 02:55 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #45 (permalink)

Guys, not to whip a dead horse, but fredmeister went out of his way for me a while back
identifying boost springs and believe his findings would shed light here with his experiments for future
reference when new owners come on board.

Thanks again fred!

Boost springs

gsmith, kudos on the Tial!
Old 02-23-2009, 07:09 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #46 (permalink)

Smart quod bastardus

Garage
Your welcome Cl8ton. Thanks for the complement.
I did not even think to post my original link as I am very busy and figured people would have come across that in searching the boards.
I am glad I could help you out and hopefully my advise helps out gsmith660.
Getting info from the internet is always a gamble because you gotta realize lots of people chime in and info is not always correct. Trick is to weed out the good with the bad info.
I am an mechanical engineer by trade and know a little about springs as I do it all day here in Detoit metro. Also do all my own work on my 911 and 930 including engine builds. Just don't ask me about painting or welding or how to avoid speeding tickets.
See ya
1979 930 Turbo....3.4L, 7.5to1 comp, SC cams, B&B intercooler, Snow Perf water/meth injection, Rarlyl8 headers, Garret GTX turbo, 36mm ported intakes, Innovate Auxbox/LM-1, custom Manually Adjustable wastegate housing (0.8-1.1bar),--running 0.7bar max
---"When you're racing it's life! Anything else either before or after, is just waiting"
Old 02-24-2009, 10:16 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #47 (permalink)

If I ever ask a question about boost springs will someone please remind me
of this post. It must be time for a pill.

Cole
Mods: TurboKraft Custom IC, 934 Headers, GSX 61, Zork, Port Work, SC Cams, Air Mod Fuel Dist Relocated, Water Meth Injection, BL WUR, MSD 6530, Greddy EBC, Synapse Bov, Short 2nd & 3rd with 8:37 R&P, Wevo Shifter, Coupling, and Mounts, MTX-L SSI-4, Big Brakes, Rebel Coilovers, Bilstein Sports.
Old 02-24-2009, 11:04 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #48 (permalink)
Happiest when Tinkering

Thanks your help was useful Fredmeister, cole930 you need more than a pill. LOL
76 911 C.R.A.P. Gruppe #2 BIG time TURBO C.R.A.P. Bitz EFI/EDIS Now MegaSquirt 3
Old 02-24-2009, 01:07 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #49 (permalink)

Location: Reno NV, Bay Area during most weeks,, Kids still in NH
Send a message via AIM to 9dreizig
this thread has gotten boring,,, let's spice it up gsmith,, have you picked a boost controller yet ??
91 Spec Miata (yeah I race a chick car)
"life"ll kill ya" Warren Zevon
Old 02-24-2009, 01:24 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #50 (permalink)
Happiest when Tinkering

Yeah it will be one of these. http://www.boostcontroller.com/index.php?category=35
Old 02-24-2009, 01:32 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #51 (permalink)
Happiest when Tinkering

And after the black particle thread one of these. http://www.system1filters.com/oil_filters.htm
Old 02-24-2009, 01:33 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #52 (permalink)
Happiest when Tinkering

What not exciting enough? Well how about this http://www.msdignition.com/Products/Ignitions/6530_-_MSD_Digital_Programmable_6AL-2.aspx
Old 02-24-2009, 04:12 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #53 (permalink)
what? me worry?

Those System1 filters are really good...Have used them.. I also like the offerings by http://www.cmfilters.com/
Rudtners Racing

'69 911 GT-5
'75 914 GT-3
Authorised Haltech seller and installer
Authorised Unichip installer
BBS wheels
Fikse wheels
Redline motors oils
Swepco
1500 hp chassis dyno
Old 02-24-2009, 04:24 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #54 (permalink)
Happiest when Tinkering

The system 1 has a reusable screen good for 75 microns I am going to put it in between the turbo and the sump to prevent any coking from going thru the scavenge pump.
Old 02-24-2009, 04:45 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #55 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: