Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Directions requested to pick up the best air intake

Hello,
I am contemplating the swap to an aftermarket air intake. My main objective is to clean the engine bay and improve accessibility. Of course, picking up a few bhp would be nice but that is not the primary goal and I've heard there is not much to gain over stock in any case.

I've done a review of the current options and they seem to divide between 2 categories:

- the "hardcore route": basically an air filter fitted directly on the top of the air metering unit. Fabspeed and Eagleday are offering such kits. Others (eg. rarely8) came with their own solution for much less money.
http://eagleday.stores.yahoo.net/911tumaflfi.html

- the "airbox route": a shorther airbox than stock with a cone airfilter and the other end. IA or AireTeck sell them not cheap.

Is one solution better than the other? With respect to air intake temperature and flow?

Thanks
Mathieu
Old 02-23-2009, 06:56 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

The rarley8 route saves you $260.00 and works just as well !!!!. It's the old
flash and function deal. Function gets the job done, flash might get the
job done but always costs much more. There are a few here who would
probably sell you the, 60 Hp. gain, direct bolt on, ergonomically
designed, green, gas savings, politically and socially correct, and wipes
your a$$ $450.00 air intakes they bought.

Cole
Mods: TurboKraft Custom IC, 934 Headers, GSX 61, Zork, Port Work, SC Cams, Air Mod Fuel Dist Relocated, Water Meth Injection, BL WUR, MSD 6530, Greddy EBC, Synapse Bov, Short 2nd & 3rd with 8:37 R&P, Wevo Shifter, Coupling, and Mounts, MTX-L SSI-4, Big Brakes, Rebel Coilovers, Bilstein Sports.
Old 02-23-2009, 08:05 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Send a message via Yahoo to full quack
I found a "Flashy" plastic fantastic air box/cone filter unit used for $150.00. Looks ok, works just fine, cleans up the engine bay a bunch!
Would I have paid the $400+....I don't think so!!! Did it give me more H.P.? Doubt it...sure can't tell by the seat of my pants.
I was just about to do the slash & cut affair, when I stumbled across the used item.
Give Craig's list a look, just might find one for cheap too!
Mark
Old 02-23-2009, 09:58 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

It would be nice if someone that has made their own could post a DIY or explain exactly how it was done, which parts etc. This is for people like me that love to tinker and do things for myself but have limited mechanical skills.
1969 Carrera Widebody TurboKraft Custom (Mexico Blue)
2001 E39 M5 Imola/Black-red interior
Old 02-23-2009, 10:18 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Steve,

If you do a search here you will find several posts, some with pics.
and part numbers.

Cole
Mods: TurboKraft Custom IC, 934 Headers, GSX 61, Zork, Port Work, SC Cams, Air Mod Fuel Dist Relocated, Water Meth Injection, BL WUR, MSD 6530, Greddy EBC, Synapse Bov, Short 2nd & 3rd with 8:37 R&P, Wevo Shifter, Coupling, and Mounts, MTX-L SSI-4, Big Brakes, Rebel Coilovers, Bilstein Sports.
Old 02-23-2009, 10:28 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

I will search and learn. Thanks!!
1969 Carrera Widebody TurboKraft Custom (Mexico Blue)
2001 E39 M5 Imola/Black-red interior
Old 02-23-2009, 11:00 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Here is mine, with differing size intercoolers:

Yasin
Old 02-23-2009, 11:04 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Yasin,
Gotta Love the Fat Tire in the background! It is tough to come by in WI, good thing I have a bro-in-law that recently moved to Ft. Collins area.

You wouldn't be selling one of the ICs would you?

To get back on topic, a search should show how to make the RarlyL8 one.
-1978 911 SC TURBO, Minerva Blue Targa 965 update.
-2008 550i M-Sport
Old 02-23-2009, 11:19 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by torresmd View Post
It would be nice if someone that has made their own could post a DIY or explain exactly how it was done, which parts etc. This is for people like me that love to tinker and do things for myself but have limited mechanical skills.
Mark (FQuack) hit the nail on the head:
"I found a "Flashy" plastic fantastic air box/cone filter unit used for $150.00. Looks ok, works just fine, cleans up the engine bay a bunch!
Would I have paid the $400+....I don't think so!!! Did it give me more H.P.? Doubt it...sure can't tell by the seat of my pants".

A few years ago I was tempted to go for this but couldn't get past the sticker shock and presumed huge HP improvements. So, I picked up a used stock air cleaner assembly for something like $40 and proceeded to chop the end off it and braze on a circular mount to accept a K&N cone type filter. The whole thing probably cost me $60 or so, looks identical to the store bought over-priced unit, and gives the engine bay some breathing room. Performance improvements....probably not, but you do get just a little more intake air noise.
Mark H. 1987 930, GP White, Wevo shifter, Borla exhaust, stock everything else. The result of a massive Pelicanite good will fire recovery effort. Truely an open book, ready for the slippery slopes to modification.
Old 02-23-2009, 11:57 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Mark, do you have any pics of your intake? Thanks.
-1978 911 SC TURBO, Minerva Blue Targa 965 update.
-2008 550i M-Sport
Old 02-23-2009, 12:21 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)
Crotchety Old Bastard

Garage
Here you go:

The RarlyL8 930 air-cleaner intake install
Old 02-23-2009, 12:57 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)
Me like track days

I have a setup close to the above - I was amazed what happened when the bottom 3rd was blocked off....(misguided experiment to reduce inlet temperatures) ....NO power above 5,000 rpm. Simply ran out of air.

Thus, I'd watch the element size somewhat on a higher HP setup.
Old 02-23-2009, 02:16 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcc911 View Post
Mark, do you have any pics of your intake? Thanks.
See the picture that Yasin posted, #7. That's what I've got, but with a modified stock air box instead of the space-age plastisized graphite nylon polyurethane mystery material. The drawback is that mine still retains all the weight of good German metal.
Mark H. 1987 930, GP White, Wevo shifter, Borla exhaust, stock everything else. The result of a massive Pelicanite good will fire recovery effort. Truely an open book, ready for the slippery slopes to modification.
Old 02-23-2009, 05:25 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: