Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Craig,

Very nice. ( you do nice work)
Toyota used a bov on the MR2 turbos that recirculates back to the
intake. The theory was less load on the turbo because of the sudden
pressure increase when TB snaps shut as well as quicker throttle response
and less lag from not having to recharge a large recirculation casting and
the long intake plumbing ie.Porsche.
It was also mentioned dumping to atmosphere with a CIS can make the
sensor plate flutter and in later ECU controlled units it causes a momentary
rich condition caused by dumping pre measured air. Article said dumping back
to the intake on CIS cars was fine but the advantages could be lessened
because of the inherent sluggishness of the sensor plate to react to changes.
Just found it interesting and thought I'd pass it along.

Cole
Mods: TurboKraft Custom IC, 934 Headers, GSX 61, Zork, Port Work, SC Cams, Air Mod Fuel Dist Relocated, Water Meth Injection, BL WUR, MSD 6530, Greddy EBC, Synapse Bov, Short 2nd & 3rd with 8:37 R&P, Wevo Shifter, Coupling, and Mounts, MTX-L SSI-4, Big Brakes, Rebel Coilovers, Bilstein Sports.
Old 02-24-2009, 03:45 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #21 (permalink)
Me like track days

A good part of it was done before I got it to be honest.

Hey that is good to know and now I recall hearing the same thing -
Old 02-24-2009, 03:57 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #22 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helmsy View Post
I have just recieved my new IC and 964 elbow but I purchased a Forge Diverter Valve.

It is widely known that the original plastic valve does not last long and a better valve should be used with the 964 elbow.

Yes the old BOV valve body is removed and replaced with the elbow and valve. I will take some pics when I find time to install mine.
How is the Forge Diverter compared to the 964t BOV? My car is undergoing the same surgery right now. I'm just debating on the Turbokraft billet spacers or the stock phenolic spacers. My headers just came back from B&B as they needed to do some repairs on the welds. Now I just need to see when the Buckley Racing left heater block off plate will arrive.
14 535i M Sport
Old 02-24-2009, 09:09 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #23 (permalink)
sudo apt-get purge 930

Which is considered to be the "correct" diverter valve for a stock engine?

"Worrying about depreciation on your car and keeping mileage down is like not ****ing your girlfriend so her next boyfriend finds her more appealing"
--clutch-monkey
Old 02-25-2009, 04:29 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #24 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ag02M5 View Post
One member plugged the intake and dumped the air to atmosphere.

Thoughts?
RT
This = bad... When ever you dump metered air off in to the atmosphere, the car runs like a bag of $hit. When I was younger I tried this very thing on my CIS car and it resulted in the car stalling, running slower, and Horrible part throttle... just because I wanted a noise.
Now I thought I could get away with it because I had a mechanical mass-air meter as opposed to an elctronic-----wrong, the 930 did not like it at all. The most amount of "noise" you can get out of these cars (if that is what someone is after) the best you can do on a CIS car is to get the intake that Craig has and get the 965 elbow with a billet diverter valve- then it is somewhat audible. As a performance solution, blowing off into the atmosphere is no good.
2008 C6/Z51 Corvette
Old 02-25-2009, 07:17 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #25 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by equality72521 View Post
Which is considered to be the "correct" diverter valve for a stock engine?
Any one of the volkswagon/audi/porsche plastic valves will work (as long as you got the 965 elbow) as well as any of the after market varients that will recirculate back into the intake below the mass-air plate.
2008 C6/Z51 Corvette
Old 02-25-2009, 07:20 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #26 (permalink)
sudo apt-get purge 930

Thanks Kris.

"Worrying about depreciation on your car and keeping mileage down is like not ****ing your girlfriend so her next boyfriend finds her more appealing"
--clutch-monkey
Old 02-25-2009, 07:25 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #27 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to Ag02M5
Quote:
Originally Posted by WPOZZZ View Post
Now I just need to see when the Buckley Racing left heater block off plate will arrive.
Where did you find it. I wonder if it will work on a 964.
WTB: 964/965 Turbo stuff...carbon fibre bits, Techart wheel parts, RS/lightweight flywheel, 993 EVO uprights, G50 gears or 6 sp., 964 RSR swaybars, custom droplinks and any other cool stuff, pm me! Also a nice medium build 327 Chevy engine.

Coming SOME DAY...1991 3.3 turbo, Tahoe Blue Metallic with some mods
Old 02-25-2009, 07:37 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #28 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ag02M5 View Post
Where did you find it. I wonder if it will work on a 964.
It was from our host. Unfortunately, I just got several e-mails from them telling me it is NLA. I was kind of jazzed about a metal block off plate and must now order the fiberglass one.
14 535i M Sport
Old 02-25-2009, 12:17 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #29 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dai View Post
Here is a pic of the BOV.

What does the vacuum line connect to, and what diverter valve model is it? I'm going to go this route on both my 930 and 964t instead of using the 964t factory diverter.
14 535i M Sport
Old 02-25-2009, 07:54 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #30 (permalink)
Certified User

Garage
Quote:
What does the vacuum line connect to, and what diverter valve model is it? I'm going to go this route on both my 930 and 964t instead of using the 964t factory diverter.
Can't help with the valve model, but connection is to port III on the throttle body.
Item 19 is my BOV. This port was originally for the decel valve (which I no longer have).

Another version of same thing ...

Memories: '68 912, '72 911T, '80 911SC, '84 911, '85 930, '86 930, '87 911
Old 02-25-2009, 08:35 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #31 (permalink)

Garage
Synapse BOV

Those of you considering BOV's should look at the BOV from Synapse Engineering. From my experience, this type of valve works much better. Fits between the turbo and intercooler.

http://www.synapseengineering.com/

Hard to see in this photo but it's below the intercooler to the left of the fan. Recirculates back into the filtered air plenum before the turbo.

https://flic.kr/p/nVgoAC
Old 02-26-2009, 05:38 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #32 (permalink)

Quote:
This diverter valve is made by MODE Design (Bob Holcombe's specialty).
Old 02-26-2009, 05:34 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #33 (permalink)

Bryan,

Bob Holcombe is a great guy to work with and does the finest work I've
ever seen. I have bought intake and exhaust plumbing from him in the past,
when I got it everything was a perfect bolt on with zero issues. The hardest part
was deciding if I was going to put it on the car or hang it on the wall, pure art.

Cole
Mods: TurboKraft Custom IC, 934 Headers, GSX 61, Zork, Port Work, SC Cams, Air Mod Fuel Dist Relocated, Water Meth Injection, BL WUR, MSD 6530, Greddy EBC, Synapse Bov, Short 2nd & 3rd with 8:37 R&P, Wevo Shifter, Coupling, and Mounts, MTX-L SSI-4, Big Brakes, Rebel Coilovers, Bilstein Sports.
Old 02-26-2009, 06:32 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #34 (permalink)

I agree with you Bryan, IMHO, Bob is the best in the business. I have one of his full bay intercooler on order and can't wait to have it install on my car for this spring.
Old 02-26-2009, 06:50 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #35 (permalink)

In case anyone wants to try is I set my Compressor Bypass Valve (what Porsche called it with the C2 Turbo) so it was open all the time with cruse and idle. This would keep the turbo spinning faster than with it closed and created a usable reserve. It was set so when I went from a manifold vac condition like at cruse and idle, it quickly closed. This gave me faster boost response.

Typically the CBV only opens upon closing the throttle at higher RPMs. This can not be done with the factory Bosch unit. To work it must have a larger surface area on the piston in the upper chamber (with the vac boost line attached) than the valve area. This way when the boost pressure builds in the upper chamber it can push the valve closed against the boost pressure off the inter-cooler.

I used one that looked like the Forge unit but it had adjustable spring tension in the upper chamber. I played with the spring tension using a hand operated vac pump to tune it.

It worked quite well for me years ago. I also had a frequency valve plumed around the WUR run by a controller that was was mappable as to rpm and manifold pressure. This allowed me to quickly reduce control pressure with acceleration to get the metering plate moving much faster. It also helped cure the lean surge typical with CIS and let me tune the air fuel ratio at all rpm points.

I had great throttle response between the two systems.
Old 02-26-2009, 07:46 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #36 (permalink)
"O Gruppe 13"

Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to IDGAF27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig 930 RS View Post

Current recirc valve and cleanup post-rebuild:

Craig want to ask what pros of two coils or I am missreading pics.
How's that works?

Thanks

gottit it is twinplug setup. took a while to count wires.........
67 911 2.0L, 901, Webbers,Matching #'s
68 912 original to the bone

Last edited by IDGAF27; 03-02-2009 at 07:59 PM..
Old 02-26-2009, 08:19 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #37 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to Ag02M5
Craig, where'd you get that sweet carbon fiber fan shroud. Too bad it isn't more visible.
WTB: 964/965 Turbo stuff...carbon fibre bits, Techart wheel parts, RS/lightweight flywheel, 993 EVO uprights, G50 gears or 6 sp., 964 RSR swaybars, custom droplinks and any other cool stuff, pm me! Also a nice medium build 327 Chevy engine.

Coming SOME DAY...1991 3.3 turbo, Tahoe Blue Metallic with some mods
Old 02-26-2009, 08:47 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #38 (permalink)

Well now, this was all very informative and answered most of my questions....all but one. With the stock recirc valve/housing removed in favor of using a 964 elbow and BOV, how does one go about mounting the intercooler? The mounts are an integral part of the housing.
Mark H. 1987 930, GP White, Wevo shifter, Borla exhaust, stock everything else. The result of a massive Pelicanite good will fire recovery effort. Truely an open book, ready for the slippery slopes to modification.
Old 03-02-2009, 02:53 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #39 (permalink)

I dont think there is not a feasible way to use the stock 930 inter cooler with the 965 elbow/ recirc valve (unless you maybe wanted to use the old housing and have it blocked off). I think this mod is done in combination with a diffrent inter cooler such as B&B, Kokeln, 965, Blown6, etc...
2008 C6/Z51 Corvette
Old 03-02-2009, 03:52 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #40 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: