Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
MEMBER # 930

Does Pelican sell the 964 elbow ?
Any info where to purchase and apart #
Thanks

Last edited by waynesco1; 03-02-2009 at 09:26 PM..
Old 03-02-2009, 05:30 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #41 (permalink)
Registered Driver

Garage
I believe it is OEM-93011038200. About $37.50 from our host.
Old 03-02-2009, 05:56 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #42 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 930gt-40r View Post
I dont think there is not a feasible way to use the stock 930 inter cooler with the 965 elbow/ recirc valve (unless you maybe wanted to use the old housing and have it blocked off). I think this mod is done in combination with a diffrent inter cooler such as B&B, Kokeln, 965, Blown6, etc...
I'm using a B&B intercooler. Unless there are some sort of adaptors (for mounting, and for attaching the exit end of the intercooler to the intake manifold...which will be several inches lower after removing the stock recirc assembly), I can't see how to do this conversion. Of course, I'm probably missing some fine point here. In the interim, I may play with blocking off the current recirc housing and installing a BOV somewhere. Just trying to reduce the volume of air required to charge the system, and thus gain a little on lag.
Mark H. 1987 930, GP White, Wevo shifter, Borla exhaust, stock everything else. The result of a massive Pelicanite good will fire recovery effort. Truely an open book, ready for the slippery slopes to modification.
Old 03-02-2009, 06:38 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #43 (permalink)

Your using the B&B and it uses the stock recirc? I guess this makes sense seeing as it is an aftermarket part made for a 930 and not a 965 stupid me. Ok well, to tell you the truth, I don't believe that eliminating that will really reduce the charging volume of the system enough to make it worth your while. Now if you want to run a 965 set up, you need the following: 965 elbow, need to weld a 3/4" pipe off the back of inter cooler(to go to recirc-valve), a recirc valve, a 4" long 3" diameter pipe (to complete the intake track going to the turbo from mass-air door. Now to eliminate the current recirc housing you could either cut housing and weld a block off plate OR you could buy a 965, kokeln, or blown six inter cooler. Either way it is going to be some loot and some work. Now if you wanted to do this in addition to carving out all of the emissions crap (if you can and haven't already), it would clean up the engine bay a bunch and definitely bring some satisfaction when done.
2008 C6/Z51 Corvette
Old 03-02-2009, 07:58 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #44 (permalink)

Mark,

You can attach your B&B by using a spacer between the TB and the IC. I have
seen spacers made with a hose and clamps, machined spacer with O rings, or
the center cut out of the BOV and plate welded on side to create the
spacer. Just blocking the original BOV off is really no advantage to you. You still
have the weight and you still have to re pressurize it before you get pressure
back down to the turbo. Your B&B is still a great add on , you might consider
selling it and buying a used long neck. If you get me some measurements I
have a friend that has a machine shop that would make a spacer, he's very
reasonable. If I can help in any way you can call me. 260-570-6914.

Cole
Mods: TurboKraft Custom IC, 934 Headers, GSX 61, Zork, Port Work, SC Cams, Air Mod Fuel Dist Relocated, Water Meth Injection, BL WUR, MSD 6530, Greddy EBC, Synapse Bov, Short 2nd & 3rd with 8:37 R&P, Wevo Shifter, Coupling, and Mounts, MTX-L SSI-4, Big Brakes, Rebel Coilovers, Bilstein Sports.

Last edited by cole930; 03-03-2009 at 07:18 PM..
Old 03-02-2009, 08:02 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #45 (permalink)

Cole/Kris,
Thanks for the input. I've got a better view now of what I would have to do. Not insurmountable, and I think I could fabricate the mounts and pipes as needed. I like the cleaner look of the 965 setup, and if that's all that's driving me then it probably isn't worth the effort...other than to lose a few pounds by removing the stock recirculating assembly. I may toy with closing the assembly off to reduce the air volume (though as Kris points out it may not make much difference). I thought maybe I would by a can of that expanding foam stuff and just fill the entire housing with it. That oughta block her of all right :-)

Here's a option: Take the recir assembly piston out of action by removing the vacuum line to it (thus it will always stay closed), and install a hose that T's off from the intercooler feed to the AAV (as opposed to welding on a tap to the intercooler itself)and run that hose over to the intake pipe feeding the turbo (would have to drill and tap a fitting into the housing in order to install a BOV at that point). What would it get me? The cost of a BOV and some work modifying things, just to have a 965 BOV. Hmmmm....let's scratch that plan, it's of no value.
How about I just leave it all stock?
Mark H. 1987 930, GP White, Wevo shifter, Borla exhaust, stock everything else. The result of a massive Pelicanite good will fire recovery effort. Truely an open book, ready for the slippery slopes to modification.
Old 03-02-2009, 08:57 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #46 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark houghton View Post
Hmmmm....let's scratch that plan... How about I just leave it all stock?
Now your thinking in the same kind of loops I do
2008 C6/Z51 Corvette
Old 03-02-2009, 09:17 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #47 (permalink)

What driveability changes are there when you remove the decel valve.
Old 03-02-2009, 10:52 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #48 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark houghton View Post
Cole/Kris,
Thanks for the input. I've got a better view now of what I would have to do. Not insurmountable, and I think I could fabricate the mounts and pipes as needed. I like the cleaner look of the 965 setup, and if that's all that's driving me then it probably isn't worth the effort...other than to lose a few pounds by removing the stock recirculating assembly. I may toy with closing the assembly off to reduce the air volume (though as Kris points out it may not make much difference). I thought maybe I would by a can of that expanding foam stuff and just fill the entire housing with it. That oughta block her of all right :-)

Here's a option: Take the recir assembly piston out of action by removing the vacuum line to it (thus it will always stay closed), and install a hose that T's off from the intercooler feed to the AAV (as opposed to welding on a tap to the intercooler itself)and run that hose over to the intake pipe feeding the turbo (would have to drill and tap a fitting into the housing in order to install a BOV at that point). What would it get me? The cost of a BOV and some work modifying things, just to have a 965 BOV. Hmmmm....let's scratch that plan, it's of no value.
How about I just leave it all stock?
Mark - Are you in a rush? My motor is going back together within a couple weeks, maybe even by the end of this week. I'll take pics when it is ready to be reinstalled. I do remember taking the intake to a machine shop where it was cut in half and welded up.
14 535i M Sport
Old 03-02-2009, 11:36 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #49 (permalink)

Hello, I am in the process of converting my OEM 930 BOV to a 965 type BOV (as needed to properly install my Kokeln IC) and I am currently exploring my options.
I had settled for the Forge but this BOV looks interesting. Can you explain what are the pros and cons versus a Forge type BOV?
Thank you very much

Quote:
Originally Posted by nreed View Post
Those of you considering BOV's should look at the BOV from Synapse Engineering. From my experience, this type of valve works much better. Fits between the turbo and intercooler.

http://www.synapseengineering.com/

Hard to see in this photo but it's below the intercooler to the left of the fan. Recirculates back into the filtered air plenum before the turbo.

Old 03-03-2009, 02:20 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #50 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by WPOZZZ View Post
Mark - Are you in a rush? My motor is going back together within a couple weeks, maybe even by the end of this week. I'll take pics when it is ready to be reinstalled. I do remember taking the intake to a machine shop where it was cut in half and welded up.
Nope, no rush. Just exploring options at this point, since I have all the stuff off my motor at the moment for some other changes and it would be a convenient time. Drop us some picts when you get yours completed. Thanks.
Old 03-03-2009, 05:43 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #51 (permalink)

1100Sport,

I too have been looking at the Synchronic Bov. I'm very impressed with what
I've read and seen. The tuner crowd love them for the sound (get off on the
whoosh sound I guess; whatever)
It is a Bov or a Bypass valve dependent on your application. On a 930
you "DO Not" want to exhaust to atmosphere.
There are 2 models the SB001 (the original) and the DV001 ( released at 2009
SEMA show where it won a best new product award)
The valves have several advantages, I see, as improvements over what we
presently have available to us.

1. Easy to install, flexibility of installation (location)
2. No diaphragm
3. Minimum movable parts
4. Incredibly fast acting
5. Will not leak or bleed ( boost pressure holds it shut)
6. Needs no lubrication

I've included pics.

SB001

DV001

Cole
Mods: TurboKraft Custom IC, 934 Headers, GSX 61, Zork, Port Work, SC Cams, Air Mod Fuel Dist Relocated, Water Meth Injection, BL WUR, MSD 6530, Greddy EBC, Synapse Bov, Short 2nd & 3rd with 8:37 R&P, Wevo Shifter, Coupling, and Mounts, MTX-L SSI-4, Big Brakes, Rebel Coilovers, Bilstein Sports.

Last edited by cole930; 03-03-2009 at 07:21 PM..
Old 03-03-2009, 08:20 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #52 (permalink)

Wow, we're talking space age here. Looks like a lunar capsule. I must have one!

You're absolutely correct in that the boost must not be vented to the atmosphere in a CIS setup. Unfortunately, no stimulating WHOOOSH! when it bleeds the pressure. But we of the 930 crowd don't need to impress ourselves with little noises that tell us what we already know is going on under the hood. I think it's more of a ricer-thing, kinda like a seat-of-the-pants dyno, makes you feel fast. Dr. Dave, as our resident psychologist, if you're listening today you could chime in on the idosyncracies of the human being when it comes to simple esteem-boosting things (did I say boosting, could that have been an intentionally or subconsciously placed pun?).
Old 03-03-2009, 09:29 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #53 (permalink)

Is this silver tube with a "K" a Kokeln BOV adapter? A good item to have if you don't want to use the 965 plumbing.

from PCA paddock at 2009 Rolex 24
Peugeot moped

Last edited by William930t; 03-03-2009 at 06:25 PM.. Reason: clarification of photo
Old 03-03-2009, 06:23 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #54 (permalink)

Garage
The neat thing about the SB001 is that when it's vented back into the intake plenum there is no "whoosh" sound. If there was not an improved throttle response you would not even know it's there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cole930 View Post
1100Sport,

I too have been looking at the Synchronic Bov. I'm very impressed with what
I've read and seen. The tuner crowd love them for the sound (get off on the
whoosh sound I guess; whatever)
It is a Bov or a Bypass valve dependent on your application. On a 930
you "DO Not" want to exhaust to atmosphere.
There are 2 models the SB001 (the original) and the DV001 ( released at 2009
SEMA show where it won a best new product award)
The valves have several advantages, I see, as improvements over what we
presently have available to us.

1. Easy to install, flexibility of installation (location)
2. No diaphragm
3. Minimum movable parts
4. Incredibly fast acting
5. Will not leak or bleed ( boost pressure holds it shut)
6. Needs no lubrication

I've included pics.

SB001

DV001

Cole
https://flic.kr/p/nVgoAC
Old 03-03-2009, 07:58 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #55 (permalink)
Drivin' Miss Daisy

Garage
Are you guys running the SB001 or DV001?
Old 11-05-2009, 07:55 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #56 (permalink)
Turbo Hooligan

I run a tial 40mm BOV, goes to atomsphere. she goes momentaraly rich between shifts but thats not a bad thing, helps keep things cool. and adds to the flamage from the zork.

All these guys do is drive too fast, work on cars, chase ******* and drink.. really no fun at all...
Old 11-05-2009, 08:24 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #57 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by pkracer21j View Post
I run a tial 40mm BOV, goes to atomsphere. she goes momentaraly rich between shifts but thats not a bad thing, helps keep things cool. and adds to the flamage from the zork.
People will tell you that the back-boost on your turbo is not good for it and increases lag by drastically slowing the turbo down during shifts. That's why the stock setup was not designed to vent to atmosphere. That seems to be the general consensus anyway, or what we've collectively talked ourselves into believing.
Old 11-05-2009, 09:09 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #58 (permalink)

I've got a TurboXS 1" C2 type recirculating aluminum BOV with brass piston and adjustable spring pressure so you can set when it opens.
It seem to work well but it's the only C2 type valve I've tried.
Since the inlet and outlets are both 1" male pipe like all the other Bosch VW/Audi/C2 replacements you can mount it sideways like 911st suggests.

As an experiment I'm going to reinstall my deceleration valve which opens at higher intake manifold vacuum than the BOV valve so it only opens during deceleration and vent it to atmosphere and see what differences there may be in turbo lag when upshifting.

The hose sizes on the decel valve are alot smaller than the BOV valve. The exit hose boss is only 7/16" ID so alot more air pressure is going to excape and recirculate from the BOV than the decel valve.
I'll put a small air adjustment valve in the vacuum line that acuates the decel valve or a small ball 1/2" ball valve on the outlet of the decel valve so I can adjust how much it opens or how much air it lets escape during decel.

If I like the result but not the sound it makes I'll route the decel valve's exit hose back to an unused port currently plugged on the air cleaner housing to help silence it.
If it doesn't do anything towards reducing turbo lag I'll take it back off so only the BOV is there.

It's just sitting around and I have a bunch of pieces of left over hose so it won't cost anything to experiment with it.
Old 11-05-2009, 09:35 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #59 (permalink)

Send a message via Skype™ to djdawson2
I kind of find myself wondering if there is any real data to support switching from the OE 930 arrangement to the 965 or external BPV setup.

Having had the stock unit apart, I can tell you that it is very large. I can also tell you from experience that the plastic Bosch units, Forge, etc... could never possibly flow the volume of the one in the IM.

So I have to ask... why does this seem like a good idea? Is there data to support any change in performance (no butt-dyno results please)?

Dave
Old 11-05-2009, 11:01 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #60 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: