Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Blow off valve vs. stock boost diverter

How many of you have gone with the 965 air hose with the coupler installed to accept an external blowoff valve, and are there any benefits to this setup vs. staying with the stock diverter valve/spring loaded piston assembly? And if you're using a BOV instead, did you just gut the stock diverter (remove the piston and spring), or...

Mark H. 1987 930, GP White, Wevo shifter, Borla exhaust, stock everything else. The result of a massive Pelicanite good will fire recovery effort. Truely an open book, ready for the slippery slopes to modification.
Old 02-23-2009, 09:59 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Registered Driver

Garage
I have just recieved my new IC and 964 elbow but I purchased a Forge Diverter Valve.

It is widely known that the original plastic valve does not last long and a better valve should be used with the 964 elbow.

Yes the old BOV valve body is removed and replaced with the elbow and valve. I will take some pics when I find time to install mine.
Old 02-23-2009, 03:09 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Helmsy, just wondering what kind of intercooler you purchased? Let us know how it fits especially if it is a "long neck". I have heard that some of them do not fit well. As Mark was discussing I have been wondering if it is realistic to just block off the stock diverter valve and retain it (while using a 964 type valve) so as to use a stock fit intercooler instead of a "long neck" which you need if you are going to remove the stock diverter valve and totally replace it with a 964 type valve.
Old 02-23-2009, 03:31 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Here is a pic of the BOV.

Old 02-23-2009, 04:00 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
Me like track days

Or you can do this:

Old 02-23-2009, 04:08 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
Registered Driver

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by darling930 View Post
Helmsy, just wondering what kind of intercooler you purchased? Let us know how it fits especially if it is a "long neck".
I purchased a B6 IC and yes it is a long-neck IC. I believe others have had fitment issues so I am preparing myself for some manhandling of the IC.

You could theoretically just block off the original valve body and use a 964 elbow but it is also a bonus to remove the original valve body because of the weight and space it takes up. Look how much room the others have now after removing it. Is there anything wrong with your recirc valve?

IMHO (and no way educated) it would be better to remove it than just plug it up.
Old 02-23-2009, 04:41 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig 930 RS View Post
Or you can do this:

Damn Craig, where will it ever end! I'll have to study what you've done and perhaps copy it shamelessly...or improve upon it if possible.
Mark H. 1987 930, GP White, Wevo shifter, Borla exhaust, stock everything else. The result of a massive Pelicanite good will fire recovery effort. Truely an open book, ready for the slippery slopes to modification.
Old 02-23-2009, 06:27 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to Ag02M5
Quote:
Or you can do this:

Any more pics of your setup? Very intriguing.
WTB: 964/965 Turbo stuff...carbon fibre bits, Techart wheel parts, RS/lightweight flywheel, 993 EVO uprights, G50 gears or 6 sp., 964 RSR swaybars, custom droplinks and any other cool stuff, pm me! Also a nice medium build 327 Chevy engine.

Coming SOME DAY...1991 3.3 turbo, Tahoe Blue Metallic with some mods
Old 02-23-2009, 06:38 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Darling 930,

By the way, what is your first name so I don't feel gay posting you.
The 964 LB and bov have several advantages, weight savings, creates much needed room to maneuver in the engine bay, much faster bov actuation, and spools faster because you are no longer filling that huge casting before getting pressure returned through the intake track and to the turbo.
You also do not have to have a long neck IC to use the newer Bov. The only modification required is to lengthen the up pipe from the turbo to the IC.
This is easily done by replacing your original up pipe with a silicon hose and a couple clamps.
Also the original Bosch bov had a rep. of blowing diaphragms the later ones are much better. Billet valves need to be maintained as the heat they are subjected to has a tendency to dry them out and they need to be re lubricated to keep them from gaulding. All this is the user's preference but Steve Weiner uses the plastic Bosch bov on all his turbo builds and I have ran mine for several years with no issues.

Cole
Mods: TurboKraft Custom IC, 934 Headers, GSX 61, Zork, Port Work, SC Cams, Air Mod Fuel Dist Relocated, Water Meth Injection, BL WUR, MSD 6530, Greddy EBC, Synapse Bov, Short 2nd & 3rd with 8:37 R&P, Wevo Shifter, Coupling, and Mounts, MTX-L SSI-4, Big Brakes, Rebel Coilovers, Bilstein Sports.

Last edited by cole930; 02-23-2009 at 07:28 PM..
Old 02-23-2009, 07:11 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

First name is Ian (last name is Darling hence the username). Do you lengthen or shorten the up pipe. I figured when you took the old BOV out that would lower the intercooler?
Old 02-24-2009, 03:41 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)
Me like track days

No 965 parts needed - fab up some pipe (not easy) and run it OUT into the fender well...nice smooth easy arc right into the turbo.

Involves one brave cut into the left sheetmetal
~~~~~~~~
Recirc: Hooks into right side of RUF IC, taps off fabricated outlet section which in turn goes through fender.

This entire setup gets rid of ALL other systems - only the recirc valve and theWUR remain.
All the other valve-age crap is gone.

Some additional pictures:

Current recirc valve and cleanup post-rebuild:

With IC RUF installed - I bead blasted off the black paint

Under the 930:

Really good view of how it is setup:

If ya'll have any questions, let me know.
Seems to result in a car with very little lag and instant, brutal response.
Old 02-24-2009, 11:10 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Quote:
If ya'll have any questions, let me know.
Seems to result in a car with very little lag and instant, brutal response.
I like it.

I know you decrudded the car...but we were having a debate (on Rennlist) on the merits of the decel valve as a mini BOV/diverter valve when not on full boost.

At least with the 964t, the intercooler charged air is dumped through the diverter into the intake...mostly for emissions. One member plugged the intake and dumped the air to atmosphere.

The thought was that the revs come down quicker for faster shifting and the turbo can spool better with the charge air release.

Thoughts?

RT
WTB: 964/965 Turbo stuff...carbon fibre bits, Techart wheel parts, RS/lightweight flywheel, 993 EVO uprights, G50 gears or 6 sp., 964 RSR swaybars, custom droplinks and any other cool stuff, pm me! Also a nice medium build 327 Chevy engine.

Old 02-24-2009, 11:24 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)
Me like track days

If I understand what you are saying correctly, that air *has been measured by CIS* and should not be dumped to atmosphere.

My revs come down very quickly, almost too quickly FWTW.
Old 02-24-2009, 11:28 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

Quote:
If I understand what you are saying correctly, that air *has been measured by CIS* and should not be dumped to atmosphere.

My revs come down very quickly, almost too quickly FWTW.
Yes that is correct and a point I mentioned.

Old 02-24-2009, 11:29 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)
Me like track days

To me its a no-brainer. Stephen at IA also says this -
Old 02-24-2009, 11:36 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)
sudo apt-get purge 930

Craig, why did you go out into the fender well? Why not use the OEM pipe in its natural state and just fab up an elbow replacement? Does your method help in some other way I'm not seeing?

"Worrying about depreciation on your car and keeping mileage down is like not ****ing your girlfriend so her next boyfriend finds her more appealing"
--clutch-monkey
Old 02-24-2009, 11:55 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)
Me like track days

As mentioned above - response and smooth airflow.
Old 02-24-2009, 11:59 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)
sudo apt-get purge 930

Quote:
As mentioned above - response and smooth airflow.
I missed that. Thanks.

"Worrying about depreciation on your car and keeping mileage down is like not ****ing your girlfriend so her next boyfriend finds her more appealing"
--clutch-monkey
Old 02-24-2009, 12:01 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)

Quote:
To me its a no-brainer. Stephen at IA also says this -
It is conceivable to also duct this air back to into the system, just not into the intake manifold.

Old 02-24-2009, 01:41 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)
Me like track days

Where else would you put it?
Old 02-24-2009, 01:52 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #20 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: