Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Quote:
Originally Posted by RarlyL8 View Post
Last I heard Kokeln no longer sells an intercooler for the 930.
B6/B&B/GFS/etc seem to be hit and miss fitment.
Bell builds custom and has done a few for folks here.
An intercooler has no moving parts which makes buying used attractive right now.
I can hook you up with a K27 if you are still on the fence there as well.
As far as I know the turbo is stock, is it a viable option to rebuild? The performance is fine, just an internal oil leak. It seems as many guys are running the K27 7200 for basic stock applications, is this unit "better" than the stock turbo? In what aspect? I am waiting for Bell to get back to me regarding a custom application, for them, stock for me.
Thanks,
John G
Old 02-26-2009, 11:26 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #21 (permalink)

Sorry for the dumb question but what is a WUR? I am always lurking, reading and trying to learn as much as possible. Most of what you guys say is still a foreign language to me.
1969 Carrera Widebody TurboKraft Custom (Mexico Blue)
2001 E39 M5 Imola/Black-red interior
Old 02-26-2009, 11:55 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #22 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to Chuck Jones
Warm Up Regulator = WUR

Craig's list is a good common sense approach. I did all the things Craig listed, including using the custom headers (really worth the money) with the exception of the IA fuel head....which according to my research, is not something you need until you want to go for more than 400-450HP....then you should be looking at EFI anyway.

Oh....and I went with the BlownSix intercooler...but it was a PIA to get to fit right. The half bay version is definitely NOT a bolt on or drop in application....I spent about $400 having the mounting tabs re welded and drilled along with modifications to the shroud and up pipe. There are much easier ways to go that don't take a redesign of mounting hardware.

Last edited by Chuck Jones; 02-26-2009 at 12:10 PM..
Old 02-26-2009, 11:57 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #23 (permalink)
Crotchety Old Bastard

Garage
The stock turbo for the '87 was the 3LDZ. Boost range ~3500-5500rpm so lots of lag and runs out of breath. Not worth rebuilding if you desire a turbo that operates over a wider range.
The K27-7200 boost range is ~2800-5800rpm on a stock engine as a direct replacement so yes it gives more power over a broader range. The difference is night and day.
Give me a call this evening and I'll answer all your questions.
Old 02-26-2009, 12:50 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #24 (permalink)

Thanks Chuck! I just did a search on it because I don't really know what it does. Can someone explain briefly what it does, how Brian Leask can improve it and how my car can benefit from this. The reason I ask is there happens to be one for sale that has been worked by Brian.
1969 Carrera Widebody TurboKraft Custom (Mexico Blue)
2001 E39 M5 Imola/Black-red interior
Old 02-26-2009, 02:02 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #25 (permalink)
Smart quod bastardus

Garage
I went from stock 79 930 parts to the following in summer of 2006.
B&B intercooler. No fitment issues except the machining of mounting bosses was off center by about 1/4 inch. Connections to the throttle body and turbo up pipe were ok.
K27S turbo.....great improvement in lag boost comes in at 2200-2400rpm now.
GSF headers with heat. Fitment issues with heater plumbing and location of turbo mounting flange was off so much that turbo support bracket was un usable and caused major rework to the turbo up pipe and trouble with turbo inlet tube connection. Be prepared to do alot of fitment mods because nothing is a true bolt on no matter what the sellers tell you.
I am very happy with the results....though I cannot quote power output now since I have not dynoed it since. It drives great and much easier to modulate throttle with little lag like the stock system and boost starts so much earlier.
Next move is a free flowing exhaust....I have made a zork tube but think that might get old quickley. Wife and neighbors both have guns, ha,ha.
1979 930 Turbo....3.4L, 7.5to1 comp, SC cams, B&B intercooler, Snow Perf water/meth injection, Rarlyl8 headers, Garret GTX turbo, 36mm ported intakes, Innovate Auxbox/LM-1, custom Manually Adjustable wastegate housing (0.8-1.1bar),--running 0.7bar max
---"When you're racing it's life! Anything else either before or after, is just waiting"
Old 02-27-2009, 06:39 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #26 (permalink)

Blackbird Pilot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck Jones View Post
You mentioned $2.6K out the door...is that just the Intercooler and turbo upgrade? Becasue a fairly critical part of releasing existing horses is in the muffler and exhaust system. I went the cheapie route and spent almost two years buying up parts one at a time, then went to RarlyL8 and had him put it together for me. I'm not sure I'd go that route again, because when all was said and done, I spent probably as much and wasted almost 2 years I could have been driving it for enjoyment rather than looking for super "deals". You need to get with whoever you've decided on and give him your objectives...i.e. I want to add another 100 horsepower, lower the threshold of when boost kicks in, and do some bolt ons that will maximize my performance without going into the internals (cams etc). Once you identify your objectives, then you can get a checklist of what you need to do in order of priority....sometimes it doesn't pay to do one thing without doing something else first ....in other words, you need a roadmap of where you want to go...then set about getting there as finances permit. Beware of claims of BIG horsepower gains from some of the folks who sell the doo-dads. Go with the guys who have established reputations, and don't be afraid to PM some of the experts you see on this and other forums and ask them the hard questions....or even ask them what questions you need to ask the tuners in order to get straight answers without any "mechanical mystique".

Guys like Kevin, Tony, Statsman, Steve, Mike, Brian, Ben, Bryan, and others have good reps and tell it like it is. You dont' need to speend a ton of money if you're just looking for a bit more zip and some reliability. Now if you want to try to be the biggest dog on the block, divorce your wife, sell the house, liquidate your tangible assets, then go for the build.
Best advice a man can get on these cars...true to the last letter. As for the second paragraph - also true.
Old 03-01-2009, 04:19 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #27 (permalink)
Me like track days

I'll go on the record that for short street bursts and no track days, another Intercooler besides stock does not make sense. Yep, there ya go.

I've done a **** load of testing with temp increases under boost - think about it..........boost events DO NOT last very long unless you are going to jail....seriously, on my car about 5-6 seconds (probably less) of full boost carries one from about 35 to about 100 mph.

Now, that said I'd feel more comfortable with a Kokeln IC - I'd try to find one.

Track use is an ENTIRELY different story altogether - 100% different.

IC temps barely wake up, going up about 15 degrees is all. Then right back down when driving.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
A K27 HF turbo buit by Kevin and probably available from our host + a known quantity header setup that actually fits (get the mb911 993 setup) + fuel management for your verified healthy CIS +

Turbo $1,200
993 header setup roughly $1,100
mb911 muffler or Zork (Zork is my choice)
CIS fuel management incl adj WUR $350-$950 total. WUR controls cold, warm, and full boost fuel.

Possible adjustment of WUR/Air-Fuel ratio check at Dyno & go have fun.. It's a recipe for big, reliable HP.

** Before you start, decide if you will EVER do track days. The stock IC and crappy oil cooling will not handle more than 4-5 laps at the track w/o problems. **

Send me a PM if you have specific questions I can help with.
I have no financial stake in any of this and can pass on info I've learned.

Last edited by Craig 930 RS; 03-01-2009 at 01:42 PM..
Old 03-01-2009, 08:09 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #28 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: