Pelican Parts Forums

Pelican Parts Forums (http://forums.pelicanparts.com/)
-   911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum (http://forums.pelicanparts.com/911-930-turbo-super-charging-forum/)
-   -   Turbo-IC upgrade package? (http://forums.pelicanparts.com/911-930-turbo-super-charging-forum/459020-turbo-ic-upgrade-package.html)

930cabman 02-23-2009 05:07 PM

Turbo-IC upgrade package?

Hello All, I own and tune a 1987 930 that is basically stock, as far as I can tell. It has a RUF exhaust and pushes 1 bar under full throttle. I feel the factory intercooler does not do the job it is intended to do. I would like to upgrade to a larger, more efficent IC and upgrade turbo, as the turbo I am running needs a rebuild.
Question: Is there an IC/turbo package available from a reputable source. I will not track the car, it is for street use only.
Thanks in advance,
John G

A930Rocket 02-23-2009 07:23 PM

Try Imagine Auto

Chuck Jones 02-23-2009 07:45 PM

Imagine Auto X2...well versed in engines, turbos and related equipment, parts, and doo-dads needed to bring it together.

Exhaust systems...try RarlyL8

torresmd 02-23-2009 08:36 PM

C'mon I need a bigger intercooler!

JBL930 02-24-2009 04:09 AM

Has anyone tried this one from GSF? It looks ok doesn't it, and it has to be better than stock (the stock 930 one being the only crap intercooler Porsche ever made), does anyone have any experience with it?

http://www.goingsuperfast.com/images...er_for_CIS.jpg

http://i139.photobucket.com/albums/q...0/1988-930.jpg

JMA-RUF 02-24-2009 11:54 PM

I run the GSF full-bay intercooler on my car, with GT35R ball-bearing turbo & SS free-flowing exhaust. Performs extremely well, and is for sale too ;)

930cabman 02-25-2009 03:05 PM

more

Thanks for the replies,
I had thought that I was not the only one looking for such a change. I spoke with Imagine, very helpful and I just may use them for a new K27 7200 and B&B IC. The young man I spoke with suggested a B&B IC on the basis of increased cooling area, about a 120% increase over the stock IC. Says its a bolt on too. It seems straightforward to me, cooler charged air in = more power out. My turbo is also in need of a rebuild, so it kinda seems like a no-brainer. Now, on my knees to persuade my loving wife "we really need this to conserve the 930". The damage is estimated around $2.6k out the door.
Thanks,
John G

torresmd 02-25-2009 03:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JMA-RUF (Post 4506489)
I run the GSF full-bay intercooler on my car, with GT35R ball-bearing turbo & SS free-flowing exhaust. Performs extremely well, and is for sale too ;)

What is for sale the IC or the whole car?

Chuck Jones 02-25-2009 03:22 PM

You mentioned $2.6K out the door...is that just the Intercooler and turbo upgrade? Becasue a fairly critical part of releasing existing horses is in the muffler and exhaust system. I went the cheapie route and spent almost two years buying up parts one at a time, then went to RarlyL8 and had him put it together for me. I'm not sure I'd go that route again, because when all was said and done, I spent probably as much and wasted almost 2 years I could have been driving it for enjoyment rather than looking for super "deals". You need to get with whoever you've decided on and give him your objectives...i.e. I want to add another 100 horsepower, lower the threshold of when boost kicks in, and do some bolt ons that will maximize my performance without going into the internals (cams etc). Once you identify your objectives, then you can get a checklist of what you need to do in order of priority....sometimes it doesn't pay to do one thing without doing something else first ....in other words, you need a roadmap of where you want to go...then set about getting there as finances permit. Beware of claims of BIG horsepower gains from some of the folks who sell the doo-dads. Go with the guys who have established reputations, and don't be afraid to PM some of the experts you see on this and other forums and ask them the hard questions....or even ask them what questions you need to ask the tuners in order to get straight answers without any "mechanical mystique".

Guys like Kevin, Tony, Statsman, Steve, Mike, Brian, Ben, Bryan, and others have good reps and tell it like it is. You dont' need to speend a ton of money if you're just looking for a bit more zip and some reliability. Now if you want to try to be the biggest dog on the block, divorce your wife, sell the house, liquidate your tangible assets, then go for the build.

930cabman 02-25-2009 03:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chuck Jones (Post 4507848)
You mentioned $2.6K out the door...is that just the Intercooler and turbo upgrade? Becasue a fairly critical part of releasing existing horses is in the muffler and exhaust system. I went the cheapie route and spent almost two years buying up parts one at a time, then went to RarlyL8 and had him put it together for me. I'm not sure I'd go that route again, because when all was said and done, I spent probably as much and wasted almost 2 years I could have been driving it for enjoyment rather than looking for super "deals". You need to get with whoever you've decided on and give him your objectives...i.e. I want to add another 100 horsepower, lower the threshold of when boost kicks in, and do some bolt ons that will maximize my performance without going into the internals (cams etc). Once you identify your objectives, then you can get a checklist of what you need to do in order of priority....sometimes it doesn't pay to do one thing without doing something else first ....in other words, you need a roadmap of where you want to go...then set about getting there as finances permit. Beware of claims of BIG horsepower gains from some of the folks who sell the doo-dads. Go with the guys who have established reputations, and don't be afraid to PM some of the experts you see on this and other forums and ask them the hard questions....or even ask them what questions you need to ask the tuners in order to get straight answers without any "mechanical mystique".

Guys like Kevin, Tony, Statsman, Steve, Mike, Brian, Ben, Bryan, and others have good reps and tell it like it is. You dont' need to speend a ton of money if you're just looking for a bit more zip and some reliability. Now if you want to try to be the biggest dog on the block, divorce your wife, sell the house, liquidate your tangible assets, then go for the build.

Thanks Chuck,

Yes, the $2,600. # is for a new K27-7200 and a new B&B IC only. I am running with stock exhaust pipes and a RUF muffler. My objective is, the stock turbo is in need of a rebuild and I suspect the stock IC is quite undersized. If a few more ponies come with the package, thats OK.
Don't think of me as a traitor, but an F355 Ferrari is in my near future, the lord willing. Might not be the big dog, but the 355 sure is a cool one.
John G

Chuck Jones 02-25-2009 03:46 PM

Did you ditch the cat? Did you leave the smog pump in place with the belt on it? If so, and you're in California, it makes it easier to get thru smog....I've got some "retro'ing" to do since I got my greeting card from "them".

JMA-RUF 02-25-2009 03:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by torresmd (Post 4507823)
What is for sale the IC or the whole car?

GSF full-bay intercooler, GT35R ball-bearing turbo & SS free-flowing exhaust (V-band interfaces) :cool:

930cabman 02-25-2009 04:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chuck Jones (Post 4507900)
Did you ditch the cat? Did you leave the smog pump in place with the belt on it? If so, and you're in California, it makes it easier to get thru smog....I've got some "retro'ing" to do since I got my greeting card from "them".

Thanks for the reply,
I have owned the 930 for about two years, no cat, no smog pump. Here in New York we are required to meet emissions inspection post 1997 autos.
Given the exhaust/IC work I am planning, a top end valve grind may be in order.
John G

Chuck Jones 02-25-2009 06:26 PM

Damn.....you guys in NY are so lucky....we have to jump thru hoops...but with the smog problem we have, I can understand the need for some of the regulations....If you don't have a cat and smog pump to worry about, you've already released some of the existing HP...and reduced some weight. I just got my cat and muffler back from another P car fellow who borrowed it to do the deed.

Are you blowing oil...or did you do a leakdown test and determine that your valves are in need of some CPR?

Tug68 02-25-2009 06:33 PM

Cabman Where in NY are you?

930cabman 02-25-2009 07:02 PM

better to be lucky than good

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chuck Jones (Post 4508227)
Damn.....you guys in NY are so lucky....we have to jump thru hoops...but with the smog problem we have, I can understand the need for some of the regulations....If you don't have a cat and smog pump to worry about, you've already released some of the existing HP...and reduced some weight. I just got my cat and muffler back from another P car fellow who borrowed it to do the deed.

Are you blowing oil...or did you do a leakdown test and determine that your valves are in need of some CPR?

Chuck,
Yes, not always smoking, but enough to be bothersome. She smokes every so often on startup and when under full boost. Inspection of the IC intake indicates oil leakage, must be from turbo seals (I suspect). I am thinking with a turbo/IC update and 82k miles the valves and valve seats must be tired.
Thanks again,
John G

930cabman 02-25-2009 07:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tug68 (Post 4508238)
Cabman Where in NY are you?

Sunny Buffalo, can't wait for the streets to rinse of salt to get her out,
John G

Tug68 02-26-2009 07:18 AM

OK I`m way south. If we were closer I`d say come on by and check my 87 out. I have K27,Powerhaus headers w/heat,bigger IC(not sure what brand) and Borla exhaust.Oh yea a G50 conversion also....

930cabman 02-26-2009 10:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RarlyL8 (Post 4508854)
Let us know how the B&B fits. The shift toward Asian manufacturing has the intercooler market suffering the same quality issues as the header market.
As for the K27-7200 there are different versions with different part numbers. I carry the UltimateMotorWerks line which are an evolution of the old-school factory 965 unit. Quicker spool and tighter tolerance for more efficiency.

I am not sold on the B&B intercooler. I have made several attempts at contacting Kokeln, no reply. Are they still in business? I am also contacting Bell, to see what they have available. My sense tells me to find something that works and go with it. I am not really into fabricating an IC from scratch, but it is an option. What is everybody else using for an IC?
Thanks, John G

Craig 930 RS 02-26-2009 12:09 PM

1) K27 HF from Kevin (or it looks like Brian is now selling them...)

1.5) Header setup from MB911

2) Find a Kokeln intercooler -- if you can.

3) Adjustable WUR from Brian Leask - he'll pre-tune it for you

4) Check AFRs

5) Possibly IA fuel head

6) RPM switch to delay full boost enrichment

All you need to do.

Read, re-read, and read again what Chuck Jones says. 100% true.