Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Paint and bodywork advice please....

Hey guys,

So those who know me here have probably seen the evolution of my 930 over the years here on Pelican. I did a complete paint job and even went into the engine bay to make sure the paint color matched. I did all the aero mods too.

I am in the process of getting ready to make the underside of the car as beautiful as the top side and am going to be installing front coil over suspension, Tarett swaybars, and the full 935 suspension set up front and rear along with a 935 X brace under the hood.

SO......My question is. I want the wheel wells and belly pan of the car to be mexico blue now too. What is the best way to prepare the wheel wells and pan to be painted? I have heard there is a 3M product similar to undercoat that you can spray on first, once you have cleaned the surfaces to be coated? Any help here would be great!

Thanks in advance guys.

Old 02-23-2009, 06:15 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Maybe i should have posted this elsewhere? Can anyone recommend a different forum to place this in where I might get answers? I know I have seen cars on here that the wheel wells have been painted on. Somebody knows how....

Thanks for any help here.
Old 02-24-2009, 02:10 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
yep, im slow in the head

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to carslutt
i have used a "paintable" undercoating form 3m before, not sure what the part # is but it worked out really well. but it was a really slow and annoying paint process compared to doing normal body paint work.

Last edited by carslutt; 02-26-2009 at 04:31 PM..
Old 02-26-2009, 04:22 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

So, I'm wondering if I should use that, then after it is cured use bulldog adhesion promoter and then primer, basecoat, clearcoat? Any other thoughts on this?
Old 02-26-2009, 04:44 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
yep, im slow in the head

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to carslutt
the way the 3m rep had us use it was, apply under coating, let cure, sprayed w/ a 3m adhesion promoter, base coat, clear coat.

the car we did this on was a dark gray and the under sides color looked fairly close. i was worried if it were a light color that maybe a prep color of some kind would be needed so that the base color would not be extra dark from being applied directly over the under coating. but i never did this again so im not sure what to do in your case, i would bet primer would stick just fine.
Old 02-26-2009, 04:53 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

New here but not to paint work. 3M product is Body Shutz. Problem is it doesn't dry too well. Use Wurth product which is what Porsche probably used anyway. It is made to be painted over. You need a special gun for either the 3M or Wurth product. Adhesion promoter probably not needed but don't see how it would hurt. I would throw a bit of flex into the clear as either are soft product and would help with chips.
Old 02-26-2009, 05:01 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Happiest when Tinkering

Wurth stoneguard good stuff tough prep surface well before spraying it on.
76 911 C.R.A.P. Gruppe #2 BIG time TURBO C.R.A.P. Bitz EFI/EDIS Now MegaSquirt 3
76 Blazer also restored by me
Old 02-26-2009, 05:58 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
Champagne on Beer Budget

Garage
Might as well get the ~50pounds of old undercoating off and just paint it like you did the top side.

Wire wheel 90% of it off...aircraft stripper/pressure washer the hard to reach areas....can get messy....(or it was when i did it)

Paint and bodywork forum gets lots of Q&A's for this type of project.

Good luck and of course...PICS PLEASE.

Einar

www.einarsgarage.com
Instagram @einars_garage
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Einars-Garage/375533809160797
Old 02-27-2009, 10:46 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)
Metal Guru

Garage
+1 on undercoating removal.
I'd only leave it on in areas where stone pecking will be an issue. Otherwise, our cars can never be light enough.

Port matched, SC cams, K27/K29 turbo, Roush Performance custom headers w/Tial MV-S dual wastegates, Rarlyl8 muffler, LWFW, GT2 clutch & PP, BL wur, factory RS shifter, RS mounts, FVD timing mod, Big Reds, - 210 lb
Old 02-27-2009, 12:45 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: