Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCHNELE View Post
Hey Glenn nice build, it would really have been over the top with my M&W ignition system.
Yeah, yeah, yeah, I know. Do you still have it?

I was close to doing an individual coil solution. I still will at some point, but not right now. The Haltech could then completely control ignition, and I could run sequential injection and could tune it more finely. Sell the twin dizzy and MSD's and run shorter plug wires.

Do you run sequential injection Lincoln?
Old 02-25-2009, 12:56 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #21 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoxxerSix View Post
....... it's a dead nuts additions to any car running a GT turbo full bore with alot of heat going around. Big props for pulling it off .....

Quite a nice build.
Thanks Adam! It adds minimal weight, a bit more complexity, but doesn't put any drain on the oil pump or add heat. I hated the thought of introducing, gasp.....coolant, into an air cooled beast, but it's what the GT-series were designed for. A little sound insulation around the pump and I should be set.

When I spun a bearing, I was pretty sure it was from contamination (deciphered from which bearings were toast first). I had the oil tank out for minor fab work and didn't clean it enough. Others suggested the pump had run dry or the oil lost viscosity. Never wanting this to happen again, I did several things differently; the coolant system for cooling turbos, the 2nd oil filter, the 2" brgs, and had the center one drilled for extra oil (thank to Bill Rudtner).

Quote:
How is the response with the twin 30R's? Care to disclose boost onset and threshold details I've been in a 996TT with a pair of 3071R's under the boot and that ramped up very nice but that's 3.6L and four valve heads so flow is a little different than our aircooled two valve predecessors.

Love it, absolutely love what you got there!
Thanks. I honestly don't know the onset rpm of boost. It will gladly keep pulling over 7 but I'm not making more HP over ~6600 so why stress the engine with high rpm shifts?
The 30R's are definitely better than the super 60's in spool up, and overall power. BUT, the biggest help was the re-gearing. Should have done that years ago! Much quicker onset.

The 996 with the 3.6 and 30r's must have been sweet! More volume to increase spool and overall HP. 3.6 will be the next one I build, hopefully MUCH later.
Old 02-25-2009, 01:13 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #22 (permalink)

Garage
Glenn my injection is sequential as is the ignition. Yeah I still have the ignition system but I may be building a Ruf CTR spec car with a few differences in the engine bay so...
"the 930 is THE CAR that started my PORSCHE love affair..." Magnus Walker
Old 02-25-2009, 02:42 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #23 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCHNELE View Post
Glenn my injection is sequential as is the ignition. Yeah I still have the ignition system but I may be building a Ruf CTR spec car with a few differences in the engine bay so...
NICE, Lincoln!

We expect pictures you know.

My engine bay is tight with the plumbing for the twins, so worst case is that the coils would go in the cabin. I need to take a closer look when I get closer to the project, to see where I can place them.

Cheers -
Old 02-25-2009, 03:05 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #24 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by purplehaze View Post
I honestly don't know the onset rpm of boost. It will gladly keep pulling over 7 but I'm not making more HP over ~6600 so why stress the engine with high rpm shifts?
The 30R's are definitely better than the super 60's in spool up, and overall power. BUT, the biggest help was the re-gearing. Should have done that years ago! Much quicker onset.

The 996 with the 3.6 and 30r's must have been sweet! More volume to increase spool and overall HP. 3.6 will be the next one I build, hopefully MUCH later.

Hmmmm, good info. I only ask because I have a project here that is currently a twin scroll 3582R off a 3.3L subaru flat six(four valve heads) that I'm contemplating converting to a biturbo setup. It's going in a mid engine kit car eventually. I'm tossing around the idea of either 2876R's or maybe stepping up to 3071R's. It spools pretty damn quick for what it's worth now on the single when put on the engine dyno. I'm running anywhere from 1.2 bar to 1.8 bar of boost with it but I'm looking into making a new turbo setup to get equal or more CFM out of the compressors at a lower boost pressure and not lose too much response at the same time.

The twin 30R 996 Turbo was absolutely insane. I think ~1.5 bar of boost and ~700ish wheel. However coupled with the larger displacement and that grippy AWD system I thought my eyes were going to blow back in my head under accell. Off the line it was quick, but the impressive accell was with the ~60mph to ~160+ mph pulls. That thing just scooted so ***** quick!
Old 02-25-2009, 07:16 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #25 (permalink)

Interesting project, Adam!

That much boost in the subie must be a blast.
Old 02-26-2009, 05:49 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #26 (permalink)

Quote:
Interesting project, Adam!

That much boost in the subie must be a blast.
Thanks!

Well it's just the motor on an engine dyno so far, so my "butt" dyno will have to wait until I get the chassis for it is completed.

My goal is 650-700BHP. That's about the limit of this transaxle(AWD Sti six speed converted to 2WD) holding capability in it's current state, and I can't afford a Hewland or Mendeola sequential that could take more punishment. ~$20K+ transaxle is steep! I'm keeping the car under 2100lbs, so it'll scoot pretty good I think.

I'll stop hijacking this thread now now
Old 02-26-2009, 11:14 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #27 (permalink)
Twins are more fun!

PLEASE don't stop... I love this boost talk

I would have to limit my twins to ~1.25bar once I verify all my AFR's check out OK, but I'm sure it's going to be a blast to drive once it's all done! I'm tempted to just dump the turbo's to atmo, but I won't be very popular with the neighbors, or the police

Glenn, are you running a big bore throttle body?

(3.3, Protomotive MAP ECU, EFI, GT2 EVO CAMs, Twin Plugged, Twin Turbo's)
Old 02-26-2009, 12:05 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #28 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMA-RUF View Post
Glenn, are you running a big bore throttle body?
I'm just running the stock TB, flipped. For now........

You've got me thinking about a different plenum.......

What will you be running?
Old 02-26-2009, 01:20 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #29 (permalink)
Twins are more fun!

I'd love to fit an aftermarket 75mm TB, but will need to figure out how to adapt the idle control micro-switch for the Motronic

The OEM Carrera TB is 63mm I believe, so a step up to 75mm would be a very nice upgrade indeed

Old 02-26-2009, 01:23 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #30 (permalink)

James,

I think Kris uses a 75mm TB, but doesn't need the switch. Might ask him.

What, no ITB's?
Old 02-26-2009, 02:29 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #31 (permalink)
Twins are more fun!

Quote:
James,

I think Kris uses a 75mm TB, but doesn't need the switch. Might ask him.

What, no ITB's?
Well, the Motronic needs an idle signal, otherwise she'll just stall. When you release the accelerator, a micro-switch closes and signals to the ECU that the engine is in idle mode. This switch is attached to the OEM throttle body.

if I go to a 75mm TB, I somehow need to adapt this/a switch for this idle signal

Old 02-26-2009, 02:40 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #32 (permalink)

Quote:
Well, the Motronic needs an idle signal, otherwise she'll just stall. When you release the accelerator, a micro-switch closes and signals to the ECU that the engine is in idle mode. This switch is attached to the OEM throttle body.

if I go to a 75mm TB, I somehow need to adapt this/a switch for this idle signal
haha fun stuff. You buy the TB and send it along with the switch to me and I can take care of the mounting of it for you when the time comes

I'd love to do a nice custom ITB setup on my motor here as well but it's cost that's holding me back.. The subie engine already uses twin 49mm TB's and a split plenum setup with what they call an iris valve to control plenum balance between both halves of the motor. All so complicated.
Old 02-26-2009, 02:58 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #33 (permalink)
Twins are more fun!

Quote:
haha fun stuff. You buy the TB and send it along with the switch to me and I can take care of the mounting of it for you when the time comes
Really??? I was thinking of adapting a Mustang unit... Summit sell them at decent prices

Old 02-26-2009, 04:27 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #34 (permalink)

Garage
I am using a Wilson throttle body, going to 75mm won't give much gains above the 70mm and Idle will really suffer.

Project Type 930/1987 model/ 37343 miles
Engine
3.6 RSA polished crank and stock oil pump, etc.
Case boat tailed and shuffle pinned
Pauter rods
Mahle 3.4L Cylinders custom JE pistons: 8:1compression
Cylinders and heads ported with custom head work, 964 style head gaskets
930 heads ported with stock valve sizes, but smaller sodium filled 993 valves.
Valves back cut for flow improvements along with some secret headwork
Imagine Auto billet upper and lower valve covers
Twin plug with 12 Bosch FR5DTC Super Plugs
Performance Development valve springs and titanium retainers
GT2 Evo custom grind cams
Carrera 3.2 liter intake manifold Extruded and honed
Wilson 70mm throttle body Carrera idle air control motor
Custom billet fuel rails AN-10
Edelbrock pressure regulator
Siemens injectors 72lb/hr
Full bay intercooler from Bell intercoolers (Don Enderlein’s design)
B&B Headers (retained)
Fabspeed Dual out exhaust
Limit Engineering Garrett ceramic ball bearing turbo GT37CR
Tial BOV, Wastegate
MoTeC M600 with Data logging
Denso 580 coil near plug coils
Motec switch on the fly boost controller with hidden Valet
Kennedy Engineered Products Pressure Plate/ Porsche Motorsport clutch
Carbon Fiber engine shroud (not that you can see it because of the massive intercooler)
Custom Gauges, tach swings from six o’clock with voltmeter and 220mph speedo
Transmission
Motorsport Synchros and sleeve assembly WEVO G50 shifter.
Suspension
I have upgraded to an RSR coilover setup and Wevo Camber king setup with the strut brace tube.
Braking and Running Gear
The car presently has Big Reds all around and 17” Ruf Speedline classics (8x 10 x17 with Michelin Pilot Sport Cups).
Safety
Full Matter Roll cage and fire suppression is onboard. Bi-xenon H4s, Recaro Sport Toplines in suede and leather, Schroth harnesses full RS interior.
Miscellaneous
I have to have a soundtrack so, McIntosh head unit and amplifier sound system with ADS speakers and JL sub, Griffiths and Performance Aire AC, Custom gauges and an Alcantera Ruf steering wheel, aero mirrors. I have Ruf pedals and Ruf gauges waiting to be installed.
"the 930 is THE CAR that started my PORSCHE love affair..." Magnus Walker
Old 02-26-2009, 05:43 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #35 (permalink)

Quote:
Really??? I was thinking of adapting a Mustang unit... Summit sell them at decent prices

Yes really If you're having trouble getting the switch fitted to the TB just send the parts to me when you get them and I'll take care of it for you. I'll be a little busy here for about the next month with these damn BMW's but after that I'll be freed up a bit to tackle some side jobs.
Old 02-26-2009, 06:43 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #36 (permalink)

In addition to having just about the same motor as Schnele (save for the Motoc)
I got a Wilson 75mm TB- yes, driveability sucks a little- but I think it helps up top. If you want to get a throttle body for a good price, look through Jegs, they got some good deals.
Once you have the adapter plate to fit the mustang style throttle body to the porsche plenum and throttle linkage all set up, It makes life much easier when sourcing parts.
2008 C6/Z51 Corvette
Old 03-01-2009, 02:21 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #37 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: