Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

If I were to buy a 3.3L for an SC?

If I were to buy a turbo motor instead of converting my 3.0 what else will I have to do to my SC?

1. Weld a fitting onto the oil tank for the scavange line (or source a turbo oil tank).
2. Possibly another fuel pump?

Is that it? Will it directly mate to the 915?

Sure I need to upgrade the turbo, IC, exhaust, twin-plug the heads, og EFI, etc,
but what is all involved for a direct swap?
(Yes is searched, but my searching skills must not be up to par.)

Thanks, J.

-1978 911 SC TURBO, Minerva Blue Targa 965 update.
-2008 550i M-Sport
Old 02-25-2009, 05:24 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcc911 View Post
If I were to buy a turbo motor instead of converting my 3.0 what else will I have to do to my SC?

1. Weld a fitting onto the oil tank for the scavange line (or source a turbo oil tank).
2. Possibly another fuel pump?

Is that it? Will it directly mate to the 915?

Sure I need to upgrade the turbo, IC, exhaust, twin-plug the heads, og EFI, etc,
but what is all involved for a direct swap?
(Yes is searched, but my searching skills must not be up to par.)

Thanks, J.

you need to swap clutches from the 3.0 to the 930 engine . second fuel pump and the fitting does not need to be welded into the tank you could easily just reroute the scavange oil line to dump into the valave cover(thats my solution)..

914-6 2.4s GT tribute.
914-6werkshop.com manufacturer of 914-6, GT, Conversion parts
Old 02-25-2009, 05:28 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Garage
jcc911, i'm in the process of building pretty much what you are asking about.

1982 SC with 996 brakes, weltmeister bars, 993 dash, G50 trans, Koni Suspension to deal with clearance issues with the G50 trans

1991 965 3.3L turbo with 40K miles

It is being built in LA with all parts supplied by Lapd...

I'll keep you up to date on the build...

Alex
Old 02-25-2009, 08:20 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Crotchety Old Bastard

Garage
Putting a 3.3T in an SC is a very easy swap.
I used as many stock 930 parts as possible which makes things smooth. The 3.3L engine case is similar to the 3.0L so it bolts right up to the 915 using 915 clutch components. Main systems to be addressed are turbo oiling, fuel and electrical. I used all 930 oil and fuel system components. Wiring the pumps was easy as was the CIS which is similar for the 3.0L SC. The wiring harness plugged right in.
You do need to consider the weak points of the 915 and adjust accordingly (read no drag racing). Using a smooth turbo that does not hit hard will help.
Old 02-25-2009, 08:46 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

I converted my 82SC Targa with a 3.3Turbo engine. I got a Turbo engine and rebuilt it from the ground up. Valve guides,rings,bearings.Polished the heads.Cleaned every material/part on that bad boy....Took alot of time becuz I did it with my mechanic. The 915 is a direct fit..I would recommend to open up the 915. to see the condition of it. I did, and rebuilt it. Put a short shift in. 2nd fuel pump required, Got rid of the A/C. The suspension did hang down..Needed to raise it.(did not upgrade the torsion bars) put Bilsteins sports in the back and HD's in the front. Recently, Added a front oil cooler in the front, new spoiler,new injectors..etc.etc...One word caution. BUY BRAKES. The SC brakes will not stop the car in time for an emergency. Yes, it was alot of work, put u will have a stupid fast car.
CHECK- HP Question-Thread- Pics of my car. GOOD LUCK!

Walt.
Old 02-25-2009, 09:00 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Garage
Guys,

Thanks for the info and I feel I'm hijacking this thread. Forgive if I am out of line:

Here's some more info on the build:

996 calipers with boxster brakes
g50 transmission - non LSD - i was told the 915 would not be strong enough so found this unit with about 70,000 on it.

Do you have any comment on the gearing of the G50?

Can anyone comment on the pros / cons of LSD on this setup?

I have an option of purchase a 965 transmission but really don't want to spend the money...
Old 02-27-2009, 10:50 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Crotchety Old Bastard

Garage
An LSD will help save the 915 as it does not allow the dif to slam into the sideplate under extreme torque. G50 is waaaay stronger, I would think LSD not manditory.
Gearing is proportional to HP. You can grow into a set of tall gears quickly with a 930. If using the 915 you must keep the 930 under 350 ft/lb of torque for many reasons, one of them being gearing. You can blow the tires away in 3 gears with that torque and quickly overrev the engine.
As for brakes I use stock SC brakes. Well maintained system and good pads will lock the tires up on the street. You cannot brake any better than that. Fade is not an issue on the street as you only stop like that one time then run home.
Old 02-27-2009, 11:40 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

What about using a stock 930 4 speed tranny? Any issues installing it in an SC?

I too am considering putting a 3.3T in an SC. Currently have motor an trans, looking for an SC roller . . . .

Rich
Old 02-27-2009, 12:14 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RarlyL8 View Post
Well maintained system and good pads will lock the tires up on the street. You cannot brake any better than that.
Dear Brian,

You probably know this but it's worth mentioning:

any car can lock the tires. Even a Dodge Charger with drum brakes will lock the tires. Actually, locking the wheels will not induce any heat whatsoever in brakes as friction will be between rubber and the road and not discs and pads. So whole "my brakes are good, I can lock the wheels" discussion is moot.

The measure of good brakes is not whether you can lock the wheels or not (all brakes will) but if you can do it multiple times from high speed without having pedal drop to the floor.

SC brakes are on margin with stock SC engine as soon as you start driving aggressively or track the car. SC brakes trying to stop the car with 100hp extra are overtaxed in my book and not fit to much more than "street driving".

Last edited by beepbeep; 02-27-2009 at 02:01 PM..
Old 02-27-2009, 01:44 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

The 74-77 3.0 turbo had basically alloy caliper SC brakes. For street Carrera front disks and calipers might even be better than some alternatives. This might make for better brake balance and the pads will warm up quicker. Still, bigger is better and on the track, no way.
Old 02-27-2009, 02:33 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)
Crotchety Old Bastard

Garage
Quote:
Fade is not an issue on the street as you only stop like that one time then run home.
No where in that sentence do you find the word "track". If you can drive hard enough on the street to experience brake fade you must live at Deal's Gap. I live in the mountains and have no brake issues. Going on 10 years now with this setup. Sure big brakes would be nice but not manditory if you don't track the car or drive like a madman on the street.
Old 02-27-2009, 07:21 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

just bolt on the 964 front calipers with carrera rotors it is a very cheap upgrade

914-6 2.4s GT tribute.
914-6werkshop.com manufacturer of 914-6, GT, Conversion parts
Old 02-28-2009, 04:28 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)
Stranger on the Internet

If I had to do mine over, I would have gone 930 powerplant instead of the turbo 3.0 SC engine.

Brakes...I use Carrera calipers and discs on the front of my 2600lb SC, stock SC brakes in the rear. I take the car to Watkins Glen, and these hold up OK. I have always managed to slow down into the bus stop and going down the hill. I have no backing plates on the fronts. I will say that the stock SC brakes in the front were not as effective when I did the turbo conversion...serious track fade. Maybe I'll get around to putting the S4 brakes on this year.
Old 02-28-2009, 01:37 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)
Crotchety Old Bastard

Garage
Haven't gotten around to sourcing the Carrera rotors just yet. Another part in my wishing wall pile...

Old 02-28-2009, 09:17 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: